X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iguana Man
    • Nov 2000

PS2's DVD playback - opinions ?

I'd like to know if anyone has had a chance to evaluate the PS2's DVD playback abilities. My main questions concern it's audio & video performance. How's it compare to DVD ONLY players in the $200 to $400 dollar range ?

Iguana Man
    Iguana Man
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

I should preface my response by letting you know that I feel there is very little qualitative difference between any DVD player in the price range you mention. You pay more or less based upon name brand, features, and ergonomics. The performance in most entry to mid-level players, IMO, is identical.

Now that you know where I'm coming from, the PS2 performs very well as a DVD player. Assuming you use the optical audio out you'll get sound every bit as good as from any other $300 player.

I wouldn't even consider using the PS2 as a DVD player without purchasing one of the third party IR remotes. Using the wired game controller is frustrating.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Joey Millison
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Using the wired game controller is frustrating.
      Yeah, but by using the controller you can get high score on DVDs like the Matrix or Fantasia 2000

Comment

• Huskerduck
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2000

any word on this DVD Player being capable of progressive scan with software update? I know the rumor was flying and I havent investigated enough but find this incredible If true! Im wondering If 3:2 pulldown would be possible?

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
        Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

I haven't heard anything new on this. I'd be surprised if this is possible. Especially since Sony has been so slow to get on board with progressive with its dedicated DVD players. The PS2 just isn't designed to be an enthusiast's DVD player.

That said, Sony made at least 4 different versions of the first PSX. I wouldn't be surprised if future variations of the PS2 include progressive output.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"