I guess we should get it out of the way now...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

I guess we should get it out of the way now...

Let's hear your opinions:

Microsoft vs. Nintendo vs. PC vs. Sega vs. Sony.

Which is your fav and why? Which is best related to HT and why?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • SMiLEY
    • Sep 2000

Well, I never liked Nintendo. I know many will call me a heretic, but even in the early days I thought most of their games were silly and pathetic. There are a few that stand out, and for those games I have friends with Nintendo systems. I won't be buying one, because for the most part I don't like the games.

I'm pretty curious what the scene on PS2 vs. X-Box vs. Gamecube is going to be in a year or so. I think the Dreamcast will be feeling it's age by then, but the PS2 should just be getting under full steam (by this I mean the developer's will have figured out how to really harness the power of the PS2).

As for HT. My bet would be PS2 for the most HT -friendly console.

Having said all that, since the days of Doom I've played most of my games on a PC. And PC games are starting to have more HT-like features. I believe Quake 3 supports 16:9 video modes and many games have some form of 3D sound, even if it isn't Dolby Digital or anything.

Comment

• John Beavers
      • Aug 2000

My first fav was Nintendo, then came Sega (Sega CD),REAL player, and then Sony. Nintendo was great back when, because they had all the best RPG's. Then on the Sega CD I found this new type of video game called the Strategy/RPG..which really got me addicted. I can't remember the name of the game off hand, but you traveled on this map in RPG fashion, and then had battles where you moved your "characters" on a hexagonal battle field. REAL player had this great racer that I enjoyed to death, and also this RPG like space game that had me obsessed for over a month. Playstation then came up with some great RPG's and continued with the Strat/RPG formula with some really awsome titles. Again, it's been awhile, and the memory fades on the exact title names. It's these types of games that got me into Videogaming, and it is the lack of these types of games that has me still retired from my Gamer days. I will keep my eye on the new systems, and if it appears that "my type of video game" is going to be produced in sufficent numbers I'll go with whatever system is supporting that software arena.

Comment

• SMiLEY
        • Sep 2000

I've heard the RPG argument about old Nintendo games, and it doesn't have any weight with me. I guess I was spoiled by Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System. That was the BEST RPG for an 8-bit console. I played many of them, including the Nintendo ones, and they were all lacking something when compared to Phantasy Star.

Heck, even the sequels to Phantasy Star for the Sega Genesis were lacking what that first one had.

Comment

• Lexman
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2000

Nintindo, the name, solid software, if you can find what you want. Truly more oriented to the "kid".

Sony, great software selection and longevity of the system. I mean think about it, the 32 bit PS is still a good system! Nintendo was way behind Sony with the 64, and as far as I can tell never truly caught up on the software area for big kids.

Who knows about MS and the box. As far as PCs? I cannot stand keyboards for gaming, and joystick response never seem as good as a dedicated gaming system, IMO.

Lex

Comment

• Jeremy Santos
            • Aug 2000

For me, it's all about the games that counts, and the machine second. IMO, SEGA makes the best games that no other company would dare touch. They are very innovative when it comes to games and the Dreamcast has all the games you could possibly ask for. I have tried out the PS2 and have been very dissappointed with it, with all the hype and everything surrounding it(Phantom Menace come to mind).Still waiting to see what Nintendo and MS have to offer, but am leaning towards the X-box as Nintendo games are geared towards little children.

Jeremy

Jeremy Santos

My Software
            Santos Theater

Play It Loud, Play It Clean!!!!!
            Jeremy Santos

My Software
            Santos Theater

Play It Loud, Play It Clean!!!!!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'm a Playstation fan. Though there has been other game consoles, each that offer something unique, Sony seems to cater to old and young a like.

I am hoping that PS2 will be able to do the online things that DC can. This is a big draw for me since a true football game is the chess match of player talent and how to utilize it.

Though PC graphics are awesome, the response time isn't quite there.

GameCube, X-box and anyone else will have to walk the talk before I spend my money.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Joey Millison
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

This is just my opinion, but between the high performance consoles (Dreamcast and later) have their strong points, and so does the PC.
                The obvious advantage of the PC is resolution. Look at some of the newer games that take advantage of a 3D accelerator card (I currently have the TNT2 Ultra). Some of these games have depth that really catches your eye and sucks you into the game. And if you have a LAN at your house (as we do) there's nothing quite like playing an 8 player action or racing game over the network. It gets really chaotic and a LOT of fun, without having to deal with a split screen.
                But, on the other hand, since PCs vary in speed you might have certain games running extremely slow, or games that aren't compatabile with your O/S, or many other problems since the PC isn't a dedicated gaming machine.
                Consoles on the other hand have one task, and one task alone; to play games. You don't have any anti-virus programs or mail alerts to shut down to increase performance. And if you have a PS2 you can shop freely for any game, not having to ask yourself, "Is my PS2 fast enough for this game?" You can expect it to run without any errors at all. It takes all the guesswork out of it, and makes it SO much more convenient. And obviously the issue of not being able to play networked multiplayer games is slowly being remedied as these large gaming networks become available for console systems. The console is still behind as far as some aspects go, but it's slowly catching up.
                It's exciting to see systems like the PS2 come out, to see that next step in console technology. I can't wait to get one myself.
                I was an avid DC fan, but its lack of good games is starting to get frustrating. I, for one, enjoyed games like the new version of Ecco the Dolphin (great graphics, gaming, and sound!), Evolution, Magforce Racing, etc... But when it comes to selection of games I think the original PlayStation has the edge over the rest, and I hope that the PS2 follows in its footsteps. I was holding on to the DC for specific games, but after learning that those exact same games will also be released on the PS2 I realize it was time to retire it, and stand in line with those waiting for a Playstation2!

God I love rambling

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

John,

Was the SegaCD game "Shining Force"? -or perhaps "LandStalkers"?

I think you guys all bring up a good point: if you're a fan of a specific game genre you will tend to side with one gaming platform over another.

Here's my thoughts:

Nintendo
                  I like action games. I need a fast pace and deep, deeeeep gameplay (meaning controls with a learning curve and levels designed to prepare you for the next challenge). No software developer has delivered gaming depth as consistantly as Nintendo -no one.
                  Nintendo certainly has the stigma of producing games for children. They tend to use bright colors and base their titles on characters that share more in common with Disney than real people.
                  Nintendo, specifically their chief designer Miyamoto, want to add a sense of wonder and exploration to their games that return the player to their childhood.
                  Nintendo is my favorite game maker. They are not, however, my favorite hardware maker. N64 beat the PSX in terms of graphical features but lacked the pure processing muscle to push as many polygons.
                  Gamecube is an oddity from a design standpoint. I like the controller (anything is better than the N64's controller!). I don't mind the odd 3" DVD format -I expect a machine tailor made to play Miyamoto's games. I have no doubt it will equal or surpass the power of PS2. It will never have as many games but it will have Nintendo games -and that's enough for me.

Sega
                  Sega makes great arcade games. They excel at games you can pick up and play without getting too involved in. I call these games "twitch" games. Action games without the depth.
                  They've also been pretty consistant with their sports titles.
                  Sega's problem has always been their desparate need to be first with every new hardware advance. Sega CD cost them dearly -though not as bad as the 32x. Saturn was the most powerful 2D gaming system ever made -just as Sony introduced the world to 3D polygonal graphics. Dreamcast was the first of the current crop of next generation consoles and all indicators point toward it being gobbled up by Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.
                  In my opinion, Sega is better off leaving the hardware business. They should concentrate on their strength: making great games. I'd love to play Sonic 10 on my Xbox.

Sony
                  The PSX was the right box at the exact right time. It did everything very well. My only problem with Sony is that there are far too many mediocre games. Sure the selection is nice, but it seems that Sony doesn't care about producing games with soul. Sony just wants lots of games on the shelf.
                  To further illustrate my theory look at the games actually made by Sony. Very few of the titles actually produced by Sony are any good at all. In fact, most are just plain bad. As a matter of fact, not a single launch title for the PS2 is produced by Sony. Every title is made by a third party development house. Third parties are great but Sony can't guarantee other peoples games will be any good. How could you launch such an important product and not put some serious development cash behind ensuring there are some really good titles? Looking at the PS2 launch, there are only 4 really excellent games and several so-so titles. That's just disappointing.

X-Box
                  I have no doubt whatsoever that this will be the most powerful game system ever. The initial specs are beyond impressive (733mhz Pentium III, 64MB of unified system RAM, a hard drive, and a next generation nVidia GPU).
                  It appears Microsoft is shooting for some middle ground between Sony's business plan (lots of games) and Nintendo's plan (a few exceptional games). The guys running the X-Box development are the right people for the job. They aren't your typical Microsoft project team. These guys want to make the best game box of all time. And if the games are right they ought to do it.

PC
                  My second favorite gaming platform (after Nintendo) is PC. As Joey pointed out, it's incompatibilities, cost, and complexity keep many people playing on consoles. I think of the PC where American and European game developers bring the very latest ideas and software techniques. PC games are the bleeding edge of game software development.
                  I am totally addicted to Quake III, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life, Homeworld, and Age of Empires. As you can see from that list of games, I really only play two types of games on the PC: First person shooters(with a mouse and keyboard) and real-time strategy games. Consoles have not even begun to catch up with the PC in these categories (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are the only exceptions).

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• John Beavers
                    • Aug 2000

Was the SegaCD game "Shining Force"? -or perhaps "LandStalkers"?
                    Siligoose,

Shining Force was good, but this game, which I finally remembered, was great! "Dark Wizard"! I had over 100 hours of game play on this one. The only game that ever topped it, playing hour wise, was "Ogre Battle", which, I don't even want to think on how many hours got consumed by that one. I completed the entire game 8 times. Amazing to remember how much time there was available...before marriage

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Sili,
                      I think that you have truly covered every issue(good and bad) of all the consoles. I'll have to watch what I say knowing there is a real pro lurking :W

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

I like PC games because of the hi resolution. I'm big into driving sims and there is nothing like Need For Speeds at 1600x 1200, 32 bit color, all levels of detail selected. The cars look so gorgeous and you can actually distingish car type in the far distance. What about Quake 3, at 1280x1024 you don't even need to zoom in for a rail gun shot. Just put him in your sights and fire, Can't get that with consoles.

Outside of the PC's, I'm a big in to the sony Playstation for games like Granturismo (mind you I find the graphic are bad now compared to a PC), Ridge racer Type R4, Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter, Tekken 3, NHL 2000 Hockey, Tiger Woods Golf...etc. Parrapa and Bust-A-Groove are just too funny for my kids and I, LOL

The Playstation is more a social game that I can pull out when my buds are over. Where as the PC is more on a personal level.

PS2 will be on my list once the Metal Gear Solid "Sons of Liberty" is released. MGS is hands down my most favoritist game ever!

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"