X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Shaking up the forum scene

It seems that some other home theater forums are threatened by the advent of PS2, and it's relationship with home theater discussion. Simply, they don't want it.

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. But then I am also amazed that we haven't added a new member since the inception of Gameguide. I would have though it would have excited someone enough to join HTGuide. Oh well, hopefully, they will get here in time.

Please pass the word around to your "home theater/gaming" friends that we welcome discussion of gaming as a viable Video topic-

Lex
  • John Beavers
    • Aug 2000

It seems that some other home theater forums are threatened by the advent of PS2, and it's relationship with home theater discussion. Simply, they don't want it.
    Other Home Theater Forums? I thought you were an A/V Forum Lex

The issue I have with the PS2 as a piece of HT gear is it's relative quality as a DVD player, compared to the rest of the $300 market. For a "Home Theater Enthusiast", with a budget of $300, to invest in a PS2 as opposed to a player that would give them superior HT audio/video performance, in that price range...well it don't fit the HT "goal", IMO. However, if you're an A/V Enthusiast, well then, it rocks. You get superior Video Game play as well as something to watch movies on.

As for discussion on Video gaming on HT sites; you think HT'ers can get hot and bothered about their hobby; they ain't in the same leagure as your videogamers. Just watch someone post that PS2 kicks Ninendo's ass and you'll have a flame war of epic porportions.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

When I first got into the HT forum thing, my passion for the hobby was quite high. I was quite touchy about my equipment and why can't my stuff be viewed as a bonifide HT?

As time has gone by, I realized that my opinion is just that thus, so is everyone else's. I believe that this stuff is more of an issue with the "haves than the have nots". Me being a "have not" have come to understand that our society has a need to catagorize this and that. I'll bet that the game sites could care less about, what size tv?, interlace or progressive, are you using a console or pc, do you have a dedicated room? I'm sure they may come up in conversation and do add to gaming but, I don't see them worring if the PS2
      will get labeled as a "serious HT Dvd player".

I have fun hearing what you guy's have built or added to your systems. From that awesome new FPTV to everyday 16g speaker wire. It is a hobby that we can enjoy at many levels and still be on the same sheet of music.

I think that like it or not, PS2 is just a step in the direction that HT is going. Most people want it simple and have it all. This is what the PS2 and others that follow will service. Just like HTPC it will be a good thing. There will always be some that will cater to the "hardcore" HTer that wants it seperate, like those that can still get parts for their "Muscle Car" they'll live

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• DanB
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2000

I'm of the opinion that a PS2 is related to HT..if only in the fact that I know 3-4 people that run their gaming audio thru their HT processors. It is awesome to hear some of the titles in full surround sound. I unboxed one of the new PS2's last night and got it half-hooked up to my MC-1. I think if its OK for me to use in an expensive setup like mine, then??

On another note..it certainly pains me to see the lack of activity here on the forum- on what is otherwise a fine HT board by all accounts.
        I still frequent Home Theater Forum, and judge other boards by its participation. I quit going over to HT Talk, simply because its topics usually center around percieved differences in wire or whatever. Not interesting reading, to me at least.

Comment

• Lexman
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2000

thanks for your comments John. I agree, it's not a "best buy" DVD player alone for 300 bucks. Probably a good used higher end player would fit that bill. Like I paid 500 bucks for a DEMO toshiba 9000! Talk about a deal on a near 2K new player when it was new.

John, that was a quality post and you made valid points. ESPECIALLY the point about gaming at "the next level". What gamer wouldn't be in hog heaven engulfed in fine audio and a superb picture? After all, gaming is a very visual and audible experience! Simply, we give the guy that already has this, a place to get excited about it. We give the solo gamer a place to learn how to maximize their gaming experience.

Thanks,

Lex

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thanks Lex. I am really happy there is a place on the web that myself and others can come and let their hair down... One doesn't have to fit in a "sub-catagory" of HT to post.

Anyway, my old playstation kicked the bucket a few months back (I think it was child abuse!). So I bought a new PS One a week or so ago.

I had to have something because I'm addicted to MADDEN Football, but wasn't yet settled on the newer consoles. Plus this has an established library of games.

And if you think technology doesn't evolve quickly, the PS One is about a third of the size of the original Playstation...go figure.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

John, how was pricing on the PS1 with introduction of the PS2? Just curious.

I can appreciate your addiction to football! Can be fun, if you can figure them out, lol.

Lex

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

It is $99.00 w/one controller and no demo disc...inflation

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I'm of the opinion that a PS2 is related to HT..if only in the fact that I know 3-4 people that run their gaming audio thru their HT processors. It is awesome to hear some of the titles in full surround sound.

I agree. I just got a PS1 not too long ago and just love running it through my system. Only have a couple of games but I can see the potential for future titles. One thing that isn't too great is the resolution, it's just passable on a 27" tv.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Lexman
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2000

Paul, much of it is game dependent. I always thought that PS resolution topped 64 in terms of most games. Particular gem is "Rayman". Great kids game, but incredible graphics! Vivid colors and imagery.

Lex

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I'm with you Paul Wu, the resolution could be better. This has been my only gripe with the system.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                        • Aug 2000

The best a console can really do within the limits of NTSC is 640x480. For that, you really need a Dreamcast or PS2.

While PC titles often blow that resolution out of the water, Dreamcast and PS2 games hold up remarkably well.

-Sili
                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• MikeK
                          • Aug 2000

I quit going over to HT Talk, simply because its topics usually center around percieved differences in wire or whatever.
                          Dan,

Sorry we couldnt provide what you were looking for. We do tend to wax philosophical sometimes. Anyway, glad you found the right place to hang your hat! If you change your mind about having a look, you know where to find us!

Mike

Comment

• Joey Millison
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Mr. Knapp strikes again! Good to see you Mike!

Comment

• Lexman
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2000

Mike, I am sure that Dan didn't mean anything by his comment which honestly eluded me until I read this comment of yours. That's his opinion, and that is all.

There are no annymosities between anyone here that I know of and HTT. I have a lot of friends over there including you, and we have the utmost respect for what you do over there.

That doesn't mean I agree with everything you do. I guess that's why I decided to start HTGuide. To do it the way I wanted. In fact, someone told me today, that they weren't surprised at all to see me start a forum. But this forum will always try to be respectful of our friends and counterparts. If we have in any way offended you, we are sorry. I am sure it wasn't meant that way.

I certainly know you can't please all of the people all the time. I am sure some of your members feel the same way about us, most likely anyway.

Lex

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2000

I was a hard core PS1 addict for games like Metal Gear Solid and Gran turismo. Those have got to be the few games I have finished in my life. Well after I got a PC that could play the Need for Speed series, there was no going back to my beloved (chipped :B ) PS1, I was given GT2 for Xmas last year and I have yet to even complete one race. I find the graphics are just not up to snuff, it's hard to believe I once thought that GT looked so good. Don't get me wrong, I still think PS1 games such as Tekken3, Metal Gear Solid, Crash look pretty good given the technology. It's just that I'm really into driving sims and the old PS1 platform can't generate fast and smooth graphics at the same time. I have even stopped using my S-video connection and gone bace to composite in an attempt to smooth out the pixels.

I will buy a PS2 in a heart beat once I know the sequel to Metal Gear Solid is available.

I don't have a problem with PS2 owners saying they have a HT just becasue it plays DVD's, It's just another piece of equipment in my mind, and a very versatile one to boot. I actually have been telling most co-workers (gamers) that have asked me about PS2 and DVD to grab one for the benefits of it's versatility and the old killing two birds with one stone thing. They will never understand the reason why most of us here, spend what we do on the hobby, and who I'm I to try and distinguish myself from them or catagorize each other in and attempt to make myself feel better about my level of involvment? We all have our price and commitment.

I learnt this lesson when I was very much in to bicycles. People would come up and ask me what type of Bicycle I would recommend buying, well that was a tough one, for all my recommendations started at the higher end of $1k. Bitter pill to swallow for someone who just wants to ride around the block with their kids, or just wants to ride and not swoon at the fillet brazed, triple butted exotic tubing with hand engraved Campagnolo parts.

I'll won't do it with my HT zeal....

Sorry for the ramble

Hey Mike, your suppose to be resting, relaxing taking a break from the scene, not going to obsure corners....

Bing
                                Bing

Comment

• Lexman
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2000

Don't pay any attention to Joey, he's probably just on a big "rocky mountain high" over becoming a moderator today, lol.

Lex

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2000

Congrat's J6P!

Bing
                                    Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
                                      Office Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Bing, man we've got some similar tastes. Love the NFS on the PC, great graphics, and going to GT1 on the PS1 was quite a step down. And the bike talk, ohh tell me more, titanium, carbon fiber, double butted spokes, tubulars. Just imagine trying to sell bikes to someone looking to do some serious riding but didn't want to spend $1k.

Joey congrats on the moderating job. I'm going to have to test your skills.

Paul

Paul

Comment

• MikeK
                                        • Aug 2000

Lex,

Absolutely, positively, 100% guaranteed no offense taken.

"You can't be everything to everyone"

That is very true my friend. Everything is cool....no worries.!

MIke

Comment

• John Holmes
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

I have Metal Gear Solid. It is subjectively one of the best games ever made period. Even my love for Madden is tested when this game is mentioned. One of the few titles that I not only finished, but enjoy it's replay value. I hope that Konami does something special for the PS2 version. If so, between that and Madden 2001, maybe just the weight needed to tip the scale in favor, of an earlier than thought PS2 purchase :B

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Don't pay any attention to Joey, he's probably just on a big "rocky mountain high" over becoming a moderator today, lol.
                                            Lex,

Didn't your mama teach you not to hire people that wear green shoes?

theAudioWorx
                                            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2000

Paul, You know it! Do you ride? I haven't rode much this year, but man I was in to the road centurys and extreme MTB as well. The HT stuff has really killed my outdoor ambitions.

John, "Metal Gear Solid" is Hands down my most favorite game ever, PS, PC or any platform for that matter. I think I finished it at least 4 times just to see and get all the easter eggs. I can't wait for the sequel, as I thought the VR Missions was just a way to tide over till the PS2 release.

My SO thought I was a sick puppy when I showed her how much I loved the feel of the dual shock controller during the strangling, and then eventual neck snapping of the Genome soldiers :B

I loved the fight with the Ninja, those kick punch combos were so satisfiying.

Bring on the MGS PS2!!

Bing
                                              Bing

Comment

• Joey Millison
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Didn't your mama teach you not to hire people that wear green shoes?
                                                Lex,
                                                How do we delete someone's account?

Comment

• Lexman
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jun 2000

Its already taken care of 6P,

Lex

Comment

• DanB
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Oct 2000

Mike-I certainly didn't mean to come across as taking a pot shot at HT Talk. You run a fine forum, with a good group of people- I was simply stating my opinion (as Lex so diplomatically intervened) as to why I quit frequenting your forum, at least for now.
                                                    I have found very useful info there in the past, it just seemed over the past few months topics have centered around percieved differences in wire, interconnects, etc. I follow that line to a point, then it starts to get a little old. Thats me though...you, as are others in your forum- are light years ahead of me in terms of system and setup. I really don't spend enough time critically listening to my system to know if a tweak would or would not work.
                                                    I hear you can do miracles with a HT system though...anytime you want to come to Myrtle Beach and play with my system, please feel free!
                                                    Again- no offense meant against your forum....

_____________________________________________
                                                    _____________________________________________

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"