X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Remote control extenders?

I hope I am saying it right, but for HTs that have their gear rack setup in the back, what is the best way to control the components with my remote control now that the line of sight is reversed?

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You've got several options...the first being to buy a set of the IR powermid's that various companies sell (Radio Shack has them) these are small pyramid shaped devices that are a few inches high and one acts as a receiver the other works as a transmitter. Simply set the receiver up near your TV and the transmitter near the gear rack. They run about $70 cdn.

Option B is to get into the hard wired setups from companies like Xantech. These are physically wired into the walls with a receiving window near the TV and stick on IR emitters over the gear with little electronics box's to control it all. These are much more expensive but more reliable then the powermids. There advantage is its much more scaleable and when setup correctly should work everytime. The powermids on the other hand may or may not work though walls etc but in your case I'd give them a go and if they don't do what you want then move on. FYI I'm planning on using these to allow control from my second zone.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Thanks Andrew, at least I will not be transmitting behind or through walls it's all in the same area. I really don't want to do any more cable runs in this house, no second zone, just HT setup.

I will check these out.

Thanx!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If you look on ebay there's usually a few selling for pretty cheap but it might be worth it to pick up a pair from RS just to see if they'll do what you need before buying from Ebay if that's what you choose to do...still they aren't that expensive to begin with.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"