X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Broeska
    • Nov 2000

there's a gamecube in MY living room

so i went down to a&b sound yesterday and picked one up. weird launch day. sunday? anyway, it seems no one knew a&b was getting them 'cause i just walked over to the software section, grabbed one of the jet black 'cubes off the shelf, asked the girl working that section to open the display case, and grabbed rogue leader and a memory card. the damage, $444 cdn after taxes.

i can't believe how tiny this system is. it's probably got the volume of a dreamcast, but just looks so much smaller. the discs are tiny as well (as i had known) but you just can never tell these things by a bunch of internet jpegs.

i hooked it up quickly and set the date and time etc. and then threw in rogue leader. first off... my god is that a comfortable controller! i love every second i'm holding it! the button layout (as goofy as it looks) makes so much sense once you play the game.

the graphics and sound of rogue leader are amazing. i knew from pictures and quicktimes that the visuals were fantastic, but you never get a sense of the audio for such things. i hooked it into my marantz sr-6200 and threw it into PL2 movie mode and i'm in heaven! the battle of hoth with the at-at and at-st walkers is unreal! laser blasts coming from all sides and a low, subtle (maybe too subtle) rumble from the sub from the walker's feet.

i love this system. my only complaints are:

1- i want the component video cables. why are these only available through their website?

2- it only has analog audio outs. i had hoped that with both analog and digital outs, i'd be able to have a digital audio out, but no.

i highly recommend this system. i'm certainly not knocking the xbox. i think in the end it only comes down to the games and the price. xbox may have some better games right now, but the price difference is certainly significant. it's anyone's call.

on a side note, does anyone have any info on how the xbox did in it's first day of sales? will this infor be released this week?
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Enjoy the new Toy Matt!

Good call on the black one, it looks to be more serious of a weapon than the indigo. They certainly are small and compact. I played a bit of Rouge Leader at Toys R Us. It sure was intense with all those Tie fighters coming at you and all those laser blasts

Bing
    Bing

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"