X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Broeska
    • Nov 2000

sega calling it quits?!

what's going on?! i just got my dreamcast for christmas and now they're gonna stop producing them? well... maybe...

check it out.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Wow. That didn't take long. This will be interesting to follow.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Matt Broeska
      • Nov 2000

it's so dissapointing. it's a fantastic system, but nintendo and sony have such a HUGE market share, it's near impossible to compete. i'm sure xbox will do fine when it comes out, but sega really has trouble supporting their hadware... how many peripherals do they release every year that are only supported by 2 or 3 games? sega cd, 32x, saturn... all systems or system extensions that just didn't go anywhere.

i could go on and on but i won't...

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I guess what suprises me the most is, Sega has been the arcade leader. It would seem that such a power house in the industry, would have little to no problem doing home products.

I do not own a Dreamcast (though I was considering it), I have a PS One. I was waiting for the market to settle some before deciding on a new system. This may sway my choice a tad

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
          • Sep 2000

I would just wait and see how this pans out....don't jump to conclusions.

Go to http://www.segaweb.com/ for more info...

Apparently they won't be ceasing hardware production, just decreasing production.

____
          Jeff

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

While the full story hasn't been told yet -the writing is certainly on the wall. Sega's days as a hardware company are over. Their plans for a Dreamcast based PC card and licensed DVD players simply won't get the market-wide support necessary for survival. Making games for Sony and Nintendo platforms is the smart move.

Sega has been a major leader (along with Namco) in the arcade industry but that doesn't necessarily convert to easy success in the home market. Arcade systems cost several thousands of dollars and the gameplay is designed to be fun for 3 minutes at a time. Additionally, the arcade industry has been met with serious competition by the advances in home consoles. The entire industry is in a very deep depression right now. The only escape seems to be amusement/arcade combo or the restaurant/arcade combo.

Sega is doing the right thing. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their semi-independant software development teams begin to jump ship to more stable companies.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

here's another link http://www.canoe.ca/JamVideo/jan30_dreamcast-ap.html

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                • Nov 2000

actually, this might shed some light as to what's going on... my boss had a meeting in toroto this past week with john q. nintendo and according to him, sega has a warehouse with like, a trillion dreamcast units and other hardware peripherals. they've over produced and they're stopping production 'cause for them to keep manufacturing dc units n' stuff is unprofitable considering they're not selling what has already been built.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

It's looking like a price drop to $99 will hit tomorrow. That would certainly confirm the theory that they're just over-produced.

Still, clearing excess systems is representative of their confidence (lack thereof) in the Dreamcast's future. I'm fairly confident they're just going to ride this thing out until current projects are all complete.

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• MichaelW
                    • Aug 2000

What surprises me the most is that consumers are willing to buy from Sega over and over again even though Sega continues to drop the ball. Sega discontinues the 32X and consumers still buy Sega hardware, namely the Saturn. Sega discontinues the Saturn and consumers still buy Sega hardware, namely the Dreamcast. I seem to remember that Sega said it would continue to support these when they discontinued them. Now Sega will more then likely be discontinuing the Dreamcast. Frankly, I knew Sega would repeat its past history again. If I was a owner of a Dreamcast system I would be pretty pissed not knowing the future of the Dreamcast which might become another Sega doorstop similar to the Saturn. Sega continues to make promises that they can't fulfill. I perdict that software for the Dreamcast will be vaporware within a year.

Comment

• P-Dub
                      Office Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Just read another report that they are pulling out, this was over at DVDFile.com.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"