X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

OT:Being driven insane by new PC..

I'm building two identical PC's for friends. They only have modest needs so nothing special. I bought 2-Asus A7N8X-X, 2-512 meg Critical RAM, 2-Gainward Geforce pro/600 video cards

I'll be using different processors, but have been running a Athlon 1.2 for test purposes.

Here's the problem, after the PC has been shut off for a few minutes, and I try to start it up, it will freeze at the Win XP startup screen. If I reboot and go into safe mode and restart from there, XP will load and run fine.

After I once get XP up and running I can turn it off. And if I immediately power up, XP loads and runs fine. But if I turn if off and let it sit for say 15-20 minutes, the same thing happens again it freezes....

I've changed video cards, memory, memory slots, MBs, and video cards. The same thing occurs with any combination of the parts.

If there are known issues with any of the hardware, I can return it and get something else.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Thomas

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thomas is this occuring with both units or just one? I assume both which makes this even more baffeling. I will say that my sister in laws Asus board we just used was very picky about its ram and we couldn't install XP with one stick we got...but that's quite a different issue then what you're seeing. Have you tried removing as much as you can from the PC (CDROM's, other PCI cards etc) and seeing if that helps?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi

Yeap it occurs with either MB, any of the memory, and either of the video cards. (note that all these are identical) I also took the memory out of one of my other machines and tried it. No difference.

There aren't any devices in the PCI slots, only device in the machine is the AGP video card

I have all the current drivers and newest bios............

I've tried all different bios settings from optimal -agressive- default. The CPU isn't overclocked. Nothing I do seems to make any difference.

Looked on a ton of different PC forums regarding these MB's. It does appear that they are picky. I bought Asus thinking that they would be no-brainers.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Most likely will return the MB and get something different.

Anyone got any suggestions? Since these PCs are gifts I was trying to keep the MB cost in the $75ea range...so far it appears that the Albatron MB's seem to have the fewest complaints. Perhaps that's because they don't sell a ton of MB's......

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thomas I'm using the AX7NE-Deluxe board and its been flawless but its more expensive then the one you're trying now. The MSI K7N2 is also an nForce board that's about the same price as the Asus you're using now...at least up here. The board we used for my sister in law was the Asus A7V600 which is loaded with features but no nForce chip (its a Via chipset)

What power supply is in that case?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Actually it's not in a case, just in pieces on the floor. I've done this many times before without any problems.

The idea was get everything debugged before tearing down my friend's existing systems. I'm certainly glad I discovered this now, as opposed to gutting their systems then have this issue pop up.

Power supply is a 300watt ATX out of one of my old server cases. It should have enough power since it's only powering one HD and one CD-ROM in addition to the MB. That's about the same load as one of those micro-ATX supplies that only deliver 220watts.

My main PCs have Antec 480 TruePower supplies. I could pull one but I really don't think that's causing the problem.

It's so strange to see XP freeze at the load-up screen, then load up and run fine, after doing a warm boot from safe mode........

BTW, remember Joey ? He's coming down to Denver for dinner tonight. His new day job is preconfiguring all the PCs used by the US federal government. Perhaps he'll have some ideas.............

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

When all else fails...it's likely the power supply... you may want to boot into BIOS for a while and watch the verious power rails to see if they are solid or if they are dipping...try leaving it on for 20 mins and then start watching the voltage levels.
            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

BTW, remember Joey ?
              Of course Joey's a hard guy to forget Say a BIG hello from me

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Well, I don't have much else to offer what hasn't already been suggested... I was thinking maybe heat expansion causing a faulty solder joint to flake out, but once everything warms up it stabilizes. Have you tried a different CPU chip? HSF working properly? Have you tried a different power supply?

Ahh Joey. Yes, he's the one who got me hooked on TTP. Say hi to him for me, and tell him not to be so shy! He always has a great story to tell.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                My HT Site

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Feb 2002

I forgot to add, "or XP had a bad install"...might be worth tearing the OS down and try again. Any hiccups that you can remember in the original install? Is it a USB keyboard and/or mouse?
                  If yes,
                  Something may be messing up there in the hardware id phase of bootup. Try a PS2 keyboard/and or mouse and see if things iron out. It may not be the core stuff you think it is.

Another shot in the dark for those what the heck moments is check for possible static discharge corrupting things...possible grounding issues with the P/S and MB :?
                  Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Joey says big hi to all.....

He's also completely dumb founded by what's happening

To answer the various questions.

No USB devices are being used, PS2 mouse and keyboard.

I did grab another CPU, changing it made no difference either.

It's the strangest thing. The longer it's been turned off, the more times it must go through this cycle before loading completely. It's as if there's something that must reach a certain temperature before XP will load. I would suspect a bad solder joint but we're talking about the same thing happening on 2 identical MB's....

I'm typing this reply on the effected computer. Joey and I went to dinner. When we came back it had to go through the warm boot to safe mode twice then it loaded XP and is now running fine.

The XP install is from my generic resealed HD. It was booting ok in the beginning. Nothing has changed regarding the install except for the addition of things like MS office, Nero, etc. Some how I doubt that any of these have caused the problem.

I have run all the various antispyware and antivirus programs so that's not it either.

Maybe I just give them the PC's and tell them never to turn them off 8O

Since I can't get a RMA from Newegg until monday, I'll probably pull one of the TruePower 480's out and see if that makes any difference. Some how I doubt that it will........

Thanks for all the help/suggestions

Thomas

theAudioWorx
                    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Built my kid a PC with this

$100 for a decent Soyo MB, case and PS, after rebate. Had no problems with it. (one note, the included 1394 port is non-functional, no included hardware). 2nd PC I've built. Actually, made my wife assemble it so she'd lose her fear of PC intestines, and it still works fine.

Cheap. A friend who builds and tears PCs down monthly has used a lot of the Soyos with few problems also.

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Thomas do you have an earlier version on windows to try? I'm curious if it would do the same thing if the OS were windows 98 etc.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Well appears that the Asus MBs don't like the 'resealed' hard drives. I've used these on my last 2 PCs (Abit and MSI), everything worked great and saved me hours and hours of installing and updating XP and all my apps.

I tried a XP restore on the drives that was hanging on boot-up, just to see if that would fix the boot-up issue. XP restore itself locked up giving the same error everytime I tried to run it.

So I reformatted the drive and did a fresh XP install. So far it's booting the way it's supposed to.....

theAudioWorx
                          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Ain't nothin' says lovin' like a handcrafted fresh install from the ground up... :B

~Jon

Earth First!
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kevin P
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              Well appears that the Asus MBs don't like the 'resealed' hard drives.
                              Maybe you should create a "resealed" HD specificially for the Asuses. They probably use different drivers than the ones that got installed initially.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                              My HT Site

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Kevin,

That's exactly the plan now ...........

theAudioWorx
                                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"