X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Do I look for these problems? Let's talk video

When I started reading about the Asus A7M266-D, I read about compatibility problems with G3 cards. Of course, what do I have? An Asus 8200 Ge-force3. Greeeat. So, I knew this going in, but still, just had to have it! lol.

Over the weekend, I locked up in 3D Mark. Also, when playing Counterstrike, every time I would exit, the white on my screen, would become grey, and the overall look was washed out.
    Before tonight, all I knew was to reboot to get back to correct video.

Tonight, I tried to get my Asus to cooperate in my A7M266-D dual machine. I had some success. Got kicked out of 3D Mark the first try, after tweaking my 8200 G3, (increasing engine and memory marks) but then the next time, I did make it through the complete test with a score of 2737. I have no idea how that is.

Interstingly, I found that this washed out grey color that my white became after exiting Counterstrike, could be fixed by simply clicking on the Asus icon in the control panel, go to advanced, and simply click ok, and exit, boom, graphics back to normal.

Just now, I discovered if I go into that selection while the graphics are normal, boom, they go washed out while I am in that selection, then return to normal on exit.

Earlier tonight, I tried loading the 12.41 Nvidia drivers thinking that might fix my problem. Well, it did, but it also wiped out my Asus control panel, which I like having. So, I put it back to the Asus CD driver and software. Maybe I can figure out to extract the old driver, without installing the generic software that overwrites my Asus control panel software. Why? Well, it seems the change to washed out grey problem does not occur with the old driver.

I didn't increase the engine and memory using the old driver, so I don't know how that would have performed in 3DMark. Just looking for ideas, suggestions, informing you guys of my experience.

right now, I think the G3 is livable, meaning maybe pass on the G4 and just get an optimized graphics card for the HTPC, and put the balance of the money the G4 would have cost on a hard drive and CPU.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Humm, maybe you are a glutton for punishment Lex....

The 3D Marks score seems kinda of low. Was that 2001 you were running? Maybe once your bench is done, go to the mad onion site and compare it to simular setups like yours. I would suspect you should be in the 7000's or higher...

The Asus cards are a different breed of Geforce because they are not based on the reference design, rather Asus's own concoction. You could try the reference drivers from Nvidia or some of the leaked beta drivers, however I don't know if they would work.
    Currently I'm on Reference "Detonator XP 28.32" drivers and they work well even though they are leaked betas. I love leaked betas and as a good Nvidiot, I must have my bi-weekly fix of new drivers... :LOL:

I'd turf the control panel for more performance, but that's just me.

the 12.41's that you tried, where did you get them from, Asus? You would think the control panel would be in their own drivers :?:

Check for other chipset updates.

Good luck man, maybe your next system should be Dull :P

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

I did make it through the complete test with a score of 2737. I have no idea how that is
      That would be a bad score. A very bad score.

I get just under 9000 with my GF3 and CPU at stock speeds. Overclocked I approach the magical (well, it used to be magical) 10,000 score. If I really wanted to push this thing I could probably break 10k...but I don't really care.

increasing engine and memory marks
      I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that. Can you explain further? Did you overclock it?

I'd say the discoloration you're seeing when exiting Counterstrike is occuring when your system switches video modes (from whatever color depth and resolution you run Counterstrike in to that of your desktop). It very well could be a driver issue.

Are you sure you properly removed the previous drivers before installing new ones?

What about AGP drivers for your mobo? I would assume AMD has AGP drivers for their 760MPX chipset just as Via does for theirs. Are you sure your AGP drivers (not the video card) are up to date?

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

That's it,I am getting a Dull! LOL.

To answer your questions, I barely had time to complete the install, let alone tweak to perfection. the 12.41 driver came from Nvidia's site. It's referenced in an article that I referenced in my original board comparison thread. over at Lostcircuits.com

Plus, the Asus disc that came with this setup is very crude, not really even setup to autoload! Problem is, you can't just figure where to run the main menu and I am hesitant to just start loading things until I know what I am loading and whether it's right formy system. So, I have been reading the forums.

Maybe I need to push the hell out of this vid card. the settings I referenced are in Asus' "Tweak Software".

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Actually, no I didn't uninstall Sili, I just slapped it right over it. However, it did the washed out thing before.

Bing, it is 3DMark 2001. I have not downloaded lately.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"