X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delta Dog
    • May 2009

Suggestions for Bluetooth speaker(s) build

My wife asked for a Bluetooth speaker and I was glad to help. Another opportunity to build and enjoy some speakers. We are wanting something like one smallish MTM in mono that can be placed on its side and have a wide listening area. We are not looking for high volume or deep base, but I would like 80+ db and tuned to 50/55 hz range, deeper would work too. Around 16" x 8" x 10" or less preferred.

I have also considered combining a pair of small bookshelves like the Overnight Sensation MTs into one separated cabinet powered by a class-T amp with a Bluetooth adapter. I would like some suggestions. I would like it to outperform a lot of the commercially available Bluetooth speakers and keep it under $150 but could go to $200 range.
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Your best plan may be to price out the electronics budget you need, subtract it from your overall budget, then examin what remains and how that fits. Probably something like one of AugerPro's small speakers with HiVi woofers might be a good starting point for consideration- but establish a clear budget first. You might also search for Matt's Bluetooth project- (one of the moderators) as it may give you some ideas.
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• ergo
      • Mar 2005

Time being a limited resource I decided to buy the same thing (2 weeks ago). Chose this one in end based on the podcast interview I listened to with the makers of it

I have not done measurements on it, but I do like the sound. I think they have found a nice balance of low/mid/high as with small size one will have to make compromises. Also the Trillium processing seems to do it's job of widening the soundfield, but not mess up the sound. There are perhaps few songs with female vocals where I've heard something bit strange going on but this has been very rare.

Just an option to check to get a reference of what can be bough for 300USD

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Yeah, the electronics are going to drive the project costs.

I thought I saw in a recent PE flyer that they had a amp module with Bluetooth built in. Might simplify your project. Though, I couldn't begin to be able to find it on their site. ...

An MTM on it's side isn't going to have wide dispersion. The nature of a MTM is that it has cancellation causing big nulls in the vocal frequency range above and below the drivers, or in this case side to side. A lot of people live in blissful ignorance of this, so just something to consider.

With a small amp, the more efficient the design probably the better.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• scottvalentin
          • May 2015

On the PE forums is a project called the Nano Neo which has an MTM variant, and I think you could do drivers and crossover for around $80. It uses the Dayton ND105 which is a very good little 4" with 4-5mm of xmax for solid low-end. Add a little amp board for $15 (one of the Sure ones), the $25 bluetooth module, use a spare laptop power supply, and it'd probably be pretty sweet for like $125 or so not including wood and finishing materials.
          EDIT: Ryan's post above makes a good point about dispersion/off-axis performance of the MTM configuration which is not ideal depending on where the speaker gets placed relative to where the listening is done.
          Last edited by scottvalentin; 15 June 2016, 12:26 Wednesday. Reason: Ryan's post

Comment

• Delta Dog
            • May 2009

As for budget, I am fine spending $100-150 for just the speaker. Would two MTs connected side by side work well or should they be toed out some?

Would a vertical MTM also have a relatively narrow dispersion?

I have built Tritrix TLs and Statements Monitors.

Comment

• zephyrtear
              • Oct 2010

Have you seen Paul Carmody's Sprite? Ive been wanting to build one of those but adding bluetooth to it. It measures 16x6x8,5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Delta Dog
                • May 2009

Zephyrtear, I saw the Sprites. I just thought a pair of MTs or an MTM would sound better than two full range drivers. I saw where someone placed two OS MTs together in one split cabinet on its side in a TMMT configuration. How would that effect the sound?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"