X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

DVD drives, and decoding???

I purchased my HTPC used, and it's working very well, however, it has a pioneer slot loading DVD drive, and I hate it!!
    I'm kinda old school that way, I don't like anything touching the read side of my discs.
    I had decided on the ASUS drive because of it's vibration dampening suspension...however once I got in the store, one of the salesman was trying to steer me to the Creative Labs "encore", which has a hardware decoding card as part of the package. My system uses an Elsa Gladiac GTS2 card and a 733mhz cpu.
    Will hardware decoding be of any benefit to this HTPC, or is it better to stay with what I've got and just replace the drive?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hi Kenny,
    The "decoder" card is a Hollywood Plus OEM'd to Creative. It uses a pass through cable, and does a chroma key overlay to insert the picture. They have decent S-Video output, but the RGB output it kind of funky, has some jitter/noise at high resolutions, and overlay controls aren't too good. It's a good solution for a low end PC, because most of the work is done in hardware. Not the board to use in your setup, though.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Jon, thank you very much, I thoughts were "why mess with a good thing"...but it's always nice to hear from the person who has dealt with this kind of gear before.
      See ya, gotta go to the store!!! Kenny

Comment

• rlabarge
        • Jan 2001

A 733 Mhz CPU will do a pretty good job of software only decoding for DVD titles.

I always think it is best to have an add-in hardware decoder like the Creative Labs Encore or the Sigma Designs Hollywood + boards (actually the same card sold by two vendors). With an add in card you can run the video out to your HT monitor as well as run the digital audio out to your surround sound decoder.

Ralph LaBarge
        Managing Partner, Alpha DVD
        Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"
        rlabarge@alphadvd.com
        Ralph LaBarge
        Managing Partner, Alpha DVD
        Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"
        rlabarge@alphadvd.com

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

Installing this ASUS drive set off a chain of events, over a 3 day period, I had a tech spend an hour on it, had to install winDVD because it kept stuttering and locking up with powerDVD??? I took it home, it was now doing different things, he spent another hour,or more on it.
          Color, and shadings changed on my screen, at first I thought it was the projector, and of coarse I started messin' with some things I shouldn't have been messin' with.(Black Bias and Drive control)
          We did a Nuke and Pave, reinstalled everything, including the old DVD drive, and after three hours of battling software, and recalibrating the projector, I'm ready to go enjoy it!!! Next week I'm going to try Acer's DVD drive, it comes with powerDVD, so it should work.
          See Ya Kenny

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

My newest PC is built with an ACER drive; it works fine, but I didn't use the POWER DVD that came with it. I've used the same drive and software combo for a couple of other friends, for DVD playback; they've been quite happy so far. You may want to check the options and play with hardware motion compensation turned off; it usually looks better on a fast PC in that mode. See if you see a difference.

Regards

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"