X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Kowerchuk
    • Sep 2000

Router Recommendations?

In a couple of months, I will be adding a secondary PC and I intend to use a router to share my high-speed cable connection.

I understand, however, that the router acts as a physical firewall and thus I would not need to use my software firewall (Norton Internet Security).

If this is true, I wish to expediate the purchase of the router, since NIS is determined not to let my Outlook 2002 check for email. This is a most frustrating problem. I figure if I get the router I can get of NIS once and for all.

So, I put it to you experts - what should I look for in a router? Is there a particular model I should seek out?

And on a side note...anybody know how to deal with this NIS/Outlook conflict in the interim?? It's driving me bonkers.

/Jeff
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Yeah, I can help you with your outlook problem, dump it. Outlook and outlook express have had more security holes than anything imaginable. Are you aware that by previewing messages in Outlook, a virus embedded right in the email can attach itself to your system?

I run Eudora, Zone Alarm, and a Lynksys router. Interestingly, one would think if the router is doing it's job as a firewall, Zone Alarm would get zero hits, right? Wrong. Zone Alarm still gets hits 24 hits today. Perhaps there are port settings in my router menu that I need to attend to, I don't know, but some things are still getting through.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Eduardo
      Moderator emeritus
      • Jun 2002

I agree with Lex.

Cable Router/switches are not ment to used as FW. They only have basic functionality, i.e. NAT. NAT basicly hides all your internal adresses from the outside world. It does not prevent any active probing. Some of the probing is done by the cable/phone company.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I bought the SMC Wireless router and it has worked pretty well for my networking needs.

If you don't need wireless, there's a good deal from Futureshop for the SMC Barricade wired router.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

I'm using the Linksys BEFW11S4 Router. It seems to have a very secure firewall, as Shields up declares my system as full stealth, with all ports closed and un probeable. The web based control panel is a nice feature as well.

I have not had any problems with it and I love how just pluging in any PC automatically connects it to the network and internet. It has been a great tool to have....

Many thanks to my Buddy Trevor Schell :amen:

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
            • Sep 2000

Thanks guys!

Lex: I would like to dump Outlook, but I'm pretty firmly entrenched in it. I've never had any problems - though of course now that I have said that, here they come!

Wireless is intriguing - but does it really work well? Anytime I think of wireless, I think of staticy cordless phones and shitty sounding speakers. Is wireless really viable? Though I assume if Mr. Bing has it, then it MUST be good! It would certainly simplify my network setup.

/Jeff

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Heh, Jeff, actually I have not used it wireless yet, as I use hard port lines. Trevor and Kevin use it wireless as does LEX I think.

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Wireless works great as long as you're close enough to the WAP or router. The range isn't as good as a cordless phone. The throughput slows down if the signal gets too weak.

Also, watch out for 2.4 Ghz cordless phones, some of them can interfere with 802.11 wireless networks. I have a 900 MHz phone so I don't have any problem with interference.

I would recommend keeping the software firewall, as the firewalls inside the routers aren't very configurable and may let some stuff through. I have a DIY router/firewall setup - a 486 box running Linux handles NAT, firewall, and routing duties. I have a 8-port hub for the wired network and a Linksys WAP11 for the wireless (the WAP11 is just the wireless access point, without a hub or router included).

The majority of my network is hard wired; I just use the wireless with the laptop, which allows for poolside, bedroom, or family room surfing.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"