X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Goff
    • Feb 2002

New PCI video processor card, w/ Faroudja deinterlacing

I though you folks might be interested in this: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/newsf...rd-7-2002.html

Steve Goff
    Steve Goff
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Pretty interesting!

This would be a good way to integrate my Laser Disk player with my HTPC, and would probably provide excellent playback of video sourced material from a STB DVD player- if only there was a way to use the DVD stream from the computer and run it through the Faroudja chip. Still, as long as it will full screen scaling to any resolution the video card supports (I understand this handled by the video card, anyway), then this might be pretty interesting.

OTOH, I wonder how the video quality will compare to using a Radeon board and software player that supports DVXA? At least there shouldn't be any micro stutters or other issues due to processing sound at the same time, and re DMA performance of the DVD drive.

Thanks for the heads up!

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• SteveG
      • Jul 2002

They already have plans for more inputs, on a separate card, and DVD playback. Here is a quote from Tom Strade, head of Imersive:

"We already have a daughtercard with more inputs. Essentially, it is a small card with 4 BNCs and another s-video inout. Each BNC can be configured as you see fit. So it could be 4 SDI's, 4 composites, etc. This will be cheap since there are not chips on the daughterboard - thus the big header on HOLO3D to allow connections from external feeds in both analog and digital.

- We could also do a 480P input board if demand were there. Also, an MPEG DVD card is about to be tested. So the DVD drive in the PC would stream MPEG to the decoder card, the bt.656 would be fed via cable into HOLO3D, and then our UI would have transport controls to render/control the DVD playback. "

Steve Goff
      Steve Goff

Comment

• SteveG
        • Jul 2002

Apparently, the card is the work of Chris Coley and Spencer Shanson, and perhaps Paul Chambers. According to Paul, "Chris and I first worked together at Philips on the DVX-8000. Chris worked with Spence at ReplayTV (and had worked with him before that). I used to work at TiVo, and am the 'proud father' of the original Philips Pronto (TSU-1000). All three of us are English ex-pats, two of us with front-projection home theaters."

Steve Goff
        Steve Goff

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

What the heck is in Ex-pat?

Interesting.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Ex patriots. Living here from another country.

Well, this all sounds very interesting, particularly the support for an MPEG hardware DVD decoding (which if done right wouldn't be hard to adapt to ATSC HD stream,), etc. This might wind up being a very attractive solution compared with the std. video boards and software players. Hopefully it can play to the strengths of the best video cards (scaing and output video quality), and be flexible enough to work with your choice- whether ATI, Nvidia, or Matrox.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Wireless
              • Feb 2001

Can't wait to see this one! I've gone through three capture cards trying to find one that would pick up less noise and this may be the one.

John
              My HT Picts
              John
              My HT Picts

Comment

• SteveG
                • Jul 2002

The card uses the latest Philips color decoder for analog inputs. It is a very low noise device, with 9 bit A-to-D coversion. It then converts the signal to 10 bit before sending it to the FLI2200. The other chips would allow for custom processing, such as compensation for horizontal and and vertical chroma offset and gamma lookup tables. A very interesting design, with several benefits.

Steve Goff
                Steve Goff

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

NIce.. !

So the reason of using this is to scale external component outputs through your HTPC?

Please explain it to my dumb ass, I've been on holidays too long and forget even my name :LOL:

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Yeah, Bing,

This is a fancy way (and seemingly well egnineered) to add video input with high quality de-interlacing (for film or video source- the latter being the bane of software DVD players) to your HTPC- then the native video card is used for scaling and display.

The coolest thing about this is that it can accept component and SDI video as well as the more plebian composite and S-Video.

This would be a great way to put a higher "ease of use" factor into an HTPC- even if the DVD quality isn't quite as whiz bang with an external player as the best on board deocders for film (purely speculation), it would have siginificant ease of use advantages for the rest of the family. You could route a conventional DVD player and Laser disk or Sat into this card; then for the geek factor, have a PC HDTV card like a HiPix or MyHD also in the PC- as well as a software DVD player - but ma and the kids would only have to deal with a conventional STB player if that's where their comfort zone is. For anime and other video titles, it would probably be the way to go, unless ATI or others actually get their special de-interlacing stuff for video to actually work.....

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"