X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Calling all techies

So I have an opportunity to purchase a used laptop from work. It's an old pentium 166 but all I really want is a glorified typewriter and personal scheduler. I can get it for a lot less than a PDA and it would be technically more functional...32 MB of RAM, 2 Gig hard drive, built-in sound, 12" Colour LCD screen, CD-ROM, and a network card, targus case and laptop lock all for around $150 - $200 CDN.

The problem is that it just recently developed a lit pixel. Is that indicative of the LCD panel starting to go? Should I maybe reconsider this? If it lasts 2-3 years more I figure I'm ahead. Hell with the price that laptops go for used I think I'm ahead if it lasts a week.

What do you guys think?

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

I have read that LCD displays are generally stable. That is if you have no lit pixels, it should not develop one over time. I guess anything is possiable though. A lit pixel is usually caused by a short in the transistor of the LCD pixel. At that price I guess it would not bother me much.

YMMV

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

One lit pixel shouldn't be a problem. If you suddenly start getting multiple dead pixels, or an entire row or column, or a region of the screen goes bad, then you've got a problem.

Enjoy your laptop!

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• AndrewM
        • Oct 2000

Well to add what everybody else has said, I wouldn't worry about a single lit pixel at that price. How is the brightness on the screen? I've seen more laptop screens start going bad because they start to get dimmer and dimmer.

At that price I'd say it's a excellent buy.

Andrew

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Thanks guys,

The screen brightness is pretty decent. I 've been playing with it for a week now and everything seems pretty stable. I can learn to live with a lit pixel....So long as I can run a scheduler and Word I'm happy. The fact that I can play CD's/MP3's and older games is a bonus. Compaqs have a glide pad which I like better than the little (what do you call that thing?) pointing device that other laptops have. All in all I think it'll be a buy. Thank for everyones input and education on lit and dead pixels. Appreciate that.

"A RONSTER!"
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Go for it! How about a tiney spec of tan or grey fingernail polish right over the pixel, would keep it from being quite so bright. But you better be a good shot with the dab of polish.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"