X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Maybe I should have "gotten a Dell man"

My computer woes continue. Geesh, a new day a new system.

Today's flavor of problems is my Asus A7N board. I had weird things happen with my USB, like it dang rebooted when I was just plugging a cable in. Didn't recognize my USB satellite at first yesterday, and I had to fiddle with it for seemed like 30 minutes before it finally worked.

Today, I am installing some software, and something went wrong. Now, every time I open a program, try to write something, doesn't seem to matter it displays a pop up message:

"Delayed Write File"
    Unable to save data, data lost. Either computer hardware failure or network connectivity problem.

Geesh, what the hell is this about, anyone? Everything seems to be on my HD. I can write to the drive, so what the hell?

Strangely, I took a dimm out today, thought maybe there was something to something I read about it not liking 2 dimms. It seemed ok for a bit, but then, boom, right back doing like it was.

Right now, planning to reload everything tomorrow, I guess, start fresh.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Lex if you just transfered your drives from your Tyan over to the Asus, I suspect that's the problem. It is recommended to install fresh for a new mobo.

Good luck buddy h:

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Bing, you didn't listen. :twisted: :LOL: Different day, different computer. Tyan is in the back bedroom or as I call it, the computing junkyard. This was a fresh install, with a clean reformat from the Abit gone bad system. Different drives, different computer.

Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

:twisted: :P oK , My Bad (what a corny statement :? )

Alright Lex, I'm starting to think you to be the Schelp Rock of PC kompu'tin :cry:

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'd suggest booting into dos mode from a floppy and run a full surface scan of the drive and see if it finds any errors. Lets eliminate that variable first.

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Lex, have a read here and see if this helps

Don't know about the USB thing, is your bios uptodate?

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Hey guys, thanks for the added suggestions. Andrew, always the checker. :

I laughed when you said you were color coding your boxes, :LOL:

Ok, all jabs aside, I reloaded everything from scratch, like to never got past getting it reformatted. Strange really. I think maybe the second drive attached was a problem, though I don't know for sure.

First I tried a W2K repair, well, that failed miserably. I tried to do a check disk from inside W2K, and heck, it wouldn't even proceed. I couldn't find my W98 boot disc, dang housekeeper must have hid it from me, lol. Finally, after exausting 2 computers, I remembered my daughter's was a straight 98 install, and should do the trick. So, I made a new disc, disconnected the second drive, and AFTER repartitioning in the W2K install procedure first, was able to reformat. Whew!

Things have went quite a bit smoother. There's still a nagging problem of if you move the mouse before something stops working when installing software. (hourglass) It seems to lock up tight. I don't know why. basically, I was VERY careful not to move it while she was working, and got through satellite install, Pagemaker, Photoshop, and Eudora. I now have the NIC installed, and am connected with Matrixx2. If I was able to connect to Matrixx1, that would be a real trick, since the mobo is somewhere between here and KY. :LOL: MatrixxMobile isn't on the Lexnet right now, so can't connect there.

Anyway, things are a little better now, fingers crossed, she stays bandaged together until I get Matrixx1 back online with a new Mobo. I could have used Matrixx2. But she's destined for my daughter, and trying to get away from her, though I have a lot of stuff on her E drive.

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Man ,,Lex you are the MotherBoard Upgrade King!!!
                I can't keep track of you anymore!,,
                Go Lex Go!!! :P :P

OK,,I agreee,,,go with a Dell,,Man!

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Well, sometimes fate just makes it that way Trev, lol. I mean I had this system sitting here with dual 40 gig drives, 512 meg of ram, and the Abit board that was a problem. So, I got the A7N266 and installed it a month or so ago and just didn't do anything else to it at that point.

I don't know what happened during this install, but apparently there was a HD sector error, or something that caused the problems. But she seems stable now!

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"