X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

New parts on order!

I just pulled the plug on some new PC parts to upgrade my "old" celeron machine. These "old" parts will be going into a machine for my mum. Anyway I ordered the..

SOLTEK SL-75DRV2 ATX KT266A motherboard
    AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz CPU
    256 megs Micron DDR Ram
    Thermosonic Thermoengine CPU Cooler

I wanted the Global win FOP 32 cooler or the Volcano 7 coolers but both were on back order and the Thermoengine is getting great reviews when paired up with a 7200 RPM fan (Stock is 5000)

Anyway this will be paired up with my Deer 300 watt AMD approved case/power supply, Geforce 2 video card, generic 5.1 audio card and 20 gig ATA100 7200 RPM hard drive.

Anyone got a spare AMD case sticker?

• Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Cool!

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Great stuff, Andrew.

The Thermoengine is a good heatsink but those 7k RPM fans are LOUD! I used a Thermoengine for quites some time...make sure you remove the factory TIM and use Artic Silver instead.

The Soltek is a good board. It's stable and very fast. Glad my issues didn't scare you away from it.

Let us know how the install goes!

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Cool Mats has been playing with the software

Goose the Thermo I got has a 5000 RPM fan on it so its not quite as loud as the 7K models.

Comment

• Jariten
          • Jun 2000

Humm
          why not look at heatsink/fan combos like the Alpha 8045, Taisol 900072CU Big and such...
          the alpha uses a 80mm fan..you can put one that is slower than the 60mm turbines and have a very quiet PC though the airflow will be the same or greater?

I am personally using two Taisol with 80mm fans on my DUal Athlon XP system....keeps it cool =)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Good question...mainly becasue the site I ordered these parts from doesn't carry that model. Plus I figured I can always upgrade the fan later if I need to but a lot of people heaped praise on the thermo when coupled with a high CFS fan. Right now I have two PC's in a small room and they are quite loud so if I can reduce that noise at all it would be nice...that's the reason the Volcano 7 appealed to me with its temp regulated speed control.

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Jariten's suggestion is a good one Andrew. I'm using a 92mm Sanyo Denki that turns at 3800 RPM, yet moves 55 CFm of air.

I had a Delta Black label 7000RPM fan that moved 38CFM of air, however it howeled way too loud for my likings.

Here is a Photo:

The black label is the smaller one.

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

Bing,

What is your temp difference in moving to the 92mm? I tried a jump from 60mm (delta) to 80mm and, while I get more CFM's the temps jumped 2 degrees.
                I use the copper Swiftech MCXC370.

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

There lies the crux Sili... My temps look to be about bit higher. With the 7000 RPM the CPU was around 36C, now with the 92mm Sanyo, it hovers around 38C. I can't hit as high as an overclock as well. With the 7000RpM i was able to attain 1460 Mhz from my 1200. With the sanyo it's hit and miss so I run at 1400 Mhz. I think this is due to the area of the sink that is blocked by the fan's motor.

What would be needed to make it surpass the 7000 in cooling would be one of those fan adapters

So I'm not able to OC as high, however my sanity is much better than it was with the 7000 RPm Black Label, as it measures a quiet 38 dB or so...

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

hmm I wonder how that cheap fan would do thats like $5 at NCIX (member price) I'll likely give the OEM one a go for now and see how it does...I can always move that one over to Glenda's machine if I feel the need more more cooling power...or strap on one of the case fans I have...or go and check out Princess Auto again for some more cheap server fans...great prices on stuff like that if you haven't checked them out lately Bing

Comment

• Jariten
                      • Jun 2000

Bing . Indeed
                      your 92mm fan covers most of the HSF with it's motor part -> less cooling of the HS.

I chose to use some 80mmDelta fans on my HeatSinks because the motor is smaller...and it runs at about 4000rpm
                      my temps are lower than when I used two screamers Delta black labels and the FOP38 heatsink...like it seems you are using

----> check out the Taisol products.
                      not sure you can find them in the US...

ah well

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

I was considering the purchase of the fan adapter above, however my system is stable and I'm happy until my next PC.

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                          • Aug 2000

I even tried a dual fan set-up. I left my 7k fan on the heatsink, then I mounted my 60mm to 80mm fan adapter on top of the 60mm fan. I then mounted my high CFM (yet oh so quiet) 80mm Panaflo fan at the top of the adapter.

This set-up performed worse than either fan running by itself. I think the low air pressure created by the 80mm fan made the 60mm fan less effective (since it had less usable air to move).

It did, however, make for a much quieter set-up. That was quite a surprise.

-Sili
                          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
                            • Aug 2000

Damn.

After reading through this thread I decided to drop $70 on the big Swiftech (MCX462). I just couldn't be the only one without an 80mm fan (this one spits out something like 60CFM over the HUGE coper heatsink).

Also got some Artic Silver 3 just to try.

-Sili
                            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

I have often thought the same thing with my T-Rex PIII, 4 fan, double stacked cooler. I contended that the stacked arrangement would actually require fine speed syncronization of the fans, otherwise the lower fan would be operating in a low pressure area or be driven by the upper fan, which would then lower air speed overall in the assembly....

Way to go on the huge fan Sili!! heheh Sounds like it will be one nice cooler.

Andrew, the 7000 Rpm will cool plenty, however it's the whine that the 60mm fan puts out at that speed.

Princess auto you say... I've not been there for a while and may have to go wander around Thanks!

Bing
                              Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Bing the version of the cooler that I'm getting doesn't have the 7K RPM fan on it only the 5000RPM model so its not going to have the cooling capacity that the 7K model will...it will be a lot less noisy though Actaully given that my PC sits next to Glenda's its not mine that makes the noise its her Celeron 300 thats OC'd to 450 that screams with all the fans I have in there I'm going to have to work on her's soon as well...maybe I'll upgrade her's in spring to something a little more powerful.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Congrats on the computer upgrade Andrew.

What type of case are you using.
                                  I would recommend the Antec SX-1030/1040 cases. The are very solid and offer a very convenient drive bay removal system.

You can order some cool AMD sticker from this place. It's a business of some sort, but he uses E-bay to promote it.
                                  I have ordered quite a few already and this guy is very nice to deal with. Payments can be executed through Pay-Pal.

Trevor
                                  My HomeTheater S.E.
                                  Sonically Enhanced
                                  C5
                                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Jariten
                                    • Jun 2000

Siligose

You should have looked at the PAL ALPHA 8045 ^_^;;;

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                      • Aug 2000

Yea, it's cheaper but doesn't perform quite as well (very close though) and the Swifty is MUCH cooler looking :LOL:

-Sili
                                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

I just use an old Reem fan on mine, the blades are 36". It does whir just a bit, but talk about cool! I look like the guy on that old Pioneer ad whenever I use that computer. :LOL: 8)

Lex
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                          • Aug 2000

LOL!
                                          Lex, I hope that think isn't plugged into a motherboard header!

-Sili
                                          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"