Need another set of eyes...what am I misssing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Need another set of eyes...what am I misssing?

I'm having problems with a new mobo install and hoped you guys might suggest something I'm overlooking.

Background:
    I killed my Abit KG7 (static, I think) and replaced it with a Soltek SL-75DRV2 (Via KT266A chipset). Got a new case and heat sink while I was at it. Here's what I've got in the box right now:

WinXP Personal
    Athlon 1.4
    Soltek SL-75DRV2 "Purple Ray" KT266A
    512 MB Crucial PC2100
    Lian-Li PC-60+USB Case
    Elsa GeForce 3
    30 GB IBM 75GXP
    TDK VeloCD CDRW Drive
    3 Com Nic
    Swiftech Copper MCXC370
    Enermax 431w Whisper PSU

I'll add the rest of my hardware once I've got those listed running smoothly.

WinXP install went well. I can run all the apps included in Windows perfectly. I'm surfing the web, sending email, all that basic stuff is no problem.

Downloaded SciSoft's Sandra to see what my memor scores were like. Ran fine, no problems (got a 756/906, BTW).

Downloaded 3DMark2001 and the trouble began. The system reboots within 60 seconds of running the 3DMark2001 benchmark.

Hmmm...wonder what happens if I try a game?

Well, installing games turned out to be a major hassle. I tried Tribes 2, Unreal Tournament, and Black & White. While installing each game the system rebooted while extracting data from the install CD. Very odd.

Finally, I managed to get Black & White installed but the system reboots as soon as the game engine starts. The other two games would not install...system restarts kept occuring while extracting data.

Alright guys, give me your best guesses. I'm willing to try anything.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Memory stick location? Sometimes it just likes different slots.

Memory Timing? Maybe set too aggressive.

Graphics card Divers?

Bios? Maybe an update.

Via Drivers? Maybe an update.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Siligoose.

How do you know that you killed your KG7 with static.
      What specifically happened.?

Thanks,

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Trevor,

One day it was fine...the next it didn't work. All other components were tested and worked fine.

Static is really my best guess. I had been inside the case and the environment had been very dry (that plus the fact that the PC was on carpet). I never (until now) wore an anti-static wrist band.

Bing,

All very good suggestions. I installed the newest Via 4-in-1's and I was able to complete 3 runs through the 3DMark2001 benchmark and play Unreal Tournament. That may have been it though something just doesn't feel right just yet.

I need to run a burn-in program (perhaps the 3dMark looped) to see how it reacts.

Thanks,

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Siligoose,

My experience has been that late model VIA chipsets (KT266A) are VERY sensitive to 4in1 driver revision; had a lot of problems with 4.36 on my own systems and a friends; only cleared up with 4.37. I even had a SB Live Platinum 5.1 acting screwy, started distorting (after I'd found I was underclocking the FSB, 100 MHz, put it up to 133, plus installed another DVD player, then sound went to h*ll.)

Any way, I almost pulled the SB Live, cause I couldn't get it to quite distorting very badly once it had booted. The 4.37 and a driver re-install was the cure.

I've found some times that Xp has this habit, of when it runs into a critical error, of simply stopping whatever it's doing and rebooting. Sounds like your situation with the 3DMark, until you got the new drivers in.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Did you try adjusting the mixture? Maybe it's running to lean. It's difficult to get maximum performance from an engine running lean. Oops, wrong forum, sorry.

Sili, ever get it resolved? Whew, maybe I shouldn't be as casual about working inside mine as I have been.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

Things appear totally fine on the surface but I am getting restarts in games. I played Unreal Tournament two days ago and now the machine crashes the moment the game engine starts. The only change is that I downloaded all the official Unreal updates...I'm guessing XP doesn't like one of those updates.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Keep at it Sili.... It'll smooth out, and then it'll be time to upgrade again!

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

It appears the final piece to my puzzle was my memory settings in bios. I had to back the cas latency down to 2.5 with my current overclock. I'm now running the mediocre Castle Wolfenstein just fine.

Thanks guys!!

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Good Stuff Sili!

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"