X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

KG7

Trevor,

Did you get your KG7 yet? How is it? How was the set-up?

I just ordered the KG7-RAID to replace my KT266-based board. We'll have to bounce issues (keeping fingers crossed) off one another.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Siligoose,

Which KT266 board are you replacing? The MSI K7T-266PR I picked up a number of months ago has worked quite well as my primary "gaming" system. What issues are causing you to replace it?

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Good stuff Sili!

Jon, Sili was having problems with a Gigabyte GA-7VTX . Would not post for some reason or another.

It's threaded in the Nvidia delay post.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi!,,

I ordered the KG7, but it hasn't arrived yet.
        I still have to order a Case and a Processor, so it will be a little while yet before I get everything together and running.

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

Well, I already have bad news about my KG7-RAID (and it hasn't even arrived yet). I purchased the RAID version so all my drives (DVD, CD-RW, and 2 HD's) could be the master on their own IDE channel.

Apparently, the Highpoint RAID controller has issues with Windows 2000 (my OS of choice). The stock Highpoint bios causes "mouse stuttering" within Windows 2000 (the cursor doesn't move right away when you move your mouse). When you update the bios (with what's supposed to be a fix) you have to live with a list of several possible problems (one of which is Win2K failing to boot).

I'm told WinXP fixes the problem but that means I have to wait until 10/25!!! So, I guess my drives will have to share an IDE channel for a while. Bummer!

JohMarsh,

As Bing correctly indicated, my Gigabyte GA-7VTX just didn't like me. Actually, I had USB problems from the get-go. Once I "solved" that everything was fine. Then one day I booted up and nothing happened. Checked the cables, power supply, drives, video card, RAM, NIC, everything but the CPU. I'm betting it's the mobo in my purchase of the KG7...of course, if the CPU died I'll just have to pick up that 1.5 Palomino!

That would sure suck!

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Sili, unless the Highpoint controller has drastically changed, you may not have the anticipated problems.

I run the Abit KT7-A Raid with a High Point HTP370 IDE Controller, last time I checked, it was the same as the KG7-Raid controller.

I have 2 x 40 Gb Quantums in a Raid 0 stripe, each using it's own ATA100 channel, 3 & 4. I have a Plextor CDR-W on IDE channel 1 by itself, a Quantum (primary) 10 Gb HD and a Pioneer DVD-Rom (secondary) on IDE channel 2.

I'm running a dual boot W2K (primary OS) and WinME.

I have had no problems with the mouse, though I have read that it can be a possibility.

My mouse is the MS Intellimouse Explorer, optical/USB

I'm running the latest 3C bios with the latest HighPoint drivers, ver 1.2.612.0

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

Bing,

Whew! Good news at last. Perhaps the issues depend upon system configuration (read: quirks)? I'll go in with a more positive outlook now!

I think I'll install tomorrow.

Thanks,

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

Well, that was easy!

After the hassle of dealing with my Gigabyte the Abit installation was a breeze!

I've already got a mild FSB overclock (1.4 to 1.47) and found some help on tweaking the (vast) memory settings. It's giving me pretty good Sandra memory scores (ALU=631/FPU=804) and an awesome 3D Mark score (6597!!).

The Highpoint controller is getting along pretty well with Windows 2000. I do have the "mouse stutter" issue but it's really not that bad. I could live with it if I had too (an upgrade to WinXP takes care of it).

The only negative I have so far is boot time. This board takes several minutes to boot to the desktop. It sits on the "loading Win2000" screen forever! It's as slow as Win98 in that respect (my experience with Win2000 is that it typically boots about twice as fast as Win 9x).

I'm very happy so far.

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

That's too bad Sili, the mouse thing. What kind of mouse are you using?

Good Scores on 3Dmark 2001

W2K does takes a long time to boot, make sure your seek floppy disk and Virus scan are disabled in your Bios.

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

I'm using an Intellimouse Explorer (isn't everyone nowadays? ) How is it that Microsoft took over the mouse and keyboard market??

The stutter isn't really that bad. I can live with it until I upgrade to XP (assuming I decide to pay their stiff prices).

Have we ever had a thread where we posted our system specs? Maybe we should do that...so we can compare common components and stuff? What do you think Bing?

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Sounds good Sili...

Bing
                      Bing

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"