Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Some Dualie Action to Tempt Jon

Pictures Hard OCP took at Comdex....

Tempting Jon??

Look at this :E So much for wanting the KR7 :B

Check out those 64 bit PCI slots, I could do with out them, but they are cool.

Bing
    Bing
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Bing you bad boy!

Shipping yet? And look at those beautiful 64 bit PCI slots! Macho! Don't know what I'd put in them, but they sure look cool! Adaptec will probably have some kind of cool 64 bit SCSI Ultra humongoid controller that will take advantage of those.

They're beautiful. Now I know what I want for Xmas!

It's too bad Windows multithreading support is not very good- compared with say, BeOS. The question is, will BeOS as it currently exists run properly on this board (unlikely) without a special driver? Given the state of Be, it hardly matters, except for those of us who have tinkered with and used it more than a little. Such potential, so close. On the same hardware, Windows feels like a minivan, and BeOS like a Honda S2000.

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Cool! I assume they're based on the 761 chipset? Why does the northbridge have that covering on it?

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Jon, I have not run BeOs, but I'm sure liking XP. Its seems so stable and I love the reduced boot time.

I thought for sure you would have use for those 64 bit slots, esp after you purchased that SCSI controller :W :B

Silli, I'm not sure what's up with the shield, maybe some type of built in heat sink? Maybe some EMI shielding? That chipset sure looks like an AMD-760 MP chipset using the AMD-762 North bridge & AMD-766 South.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Hi Bing,

Hey, I'm running XP on two systems- one desktop for myself, one for my daughter. I'm preparing to move my primary HTPC to XP, also. It's the first Microsoft OS where a lot of details feel finished- for example, the way it handles removable media, compared with say, WIN2K or WIN98. A lot of small details are finally clean, and it has been quite stable- more trouble free than WIN2K. But, it's taken Microsoft a heck of a long time to get here.

The BeOS is just my "wistful nostalgia", I'm afraid- I realize it has no likely future except in specialized applications, but for an OS put together by a small team, it's always been an amazing performer because of some fundamental design decisions made early in it's life. A journaled, 64 bit file system with programmable database attributes is one of those features. Extremely well designed mult-threading is another- it's laughable how badly Windows reponds on tasks like multiple file copy actions trying to execute simultaneously, compared with Be. And the journaled part of Be's file system means it's robus in a way Windows can only dream about- imagine having multiple video streams playing, multiple file copy operationas running, and compiling a program in the background, and you pull the power cord. And after you plug it back in, the system re-boots in less than 45 seconds without any data loss and resumes where it left off. That's a typical demo they used to do at shows, and I've replicated it, just because I couldn't believe it.

The best products don't necessarily win. In today's environment, it's about size, momentum, and marketing clout. And maybe some monopolistic practics, if it tightens your choke hold on the market.

/End of rant.

Anyway, those dualies sound pretty interesting. Maybe, instead of building my ladyfriend a new system at XMAS, I should hold on and hand me down my current one? Or just wait till mid next year and upgrade when it will be even cheaper! :B

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

That multipule versions of file mangler would be a very helpful reasource as often times I want to copy or move various files.

I certainly like the CCF media handling, and I really like how you can resize or rename batches at a time during transfer.

Bing
            Bing

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"