It's a great time to stimulate the economy...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

It's a great time to stimulate the economy...

Hey guys,

RickS has been doing his part, so has Bing, so I figured I better reach into my wallet and join the fun.

While I was going slightly out of my mind with boredom during the opening discussions at the Power Electronics Reliability Group conference meeting last week, I hit on a plan to shuffle hardware around the house and more nearly optimize the computing experience at each "station". Plus, it gave me the excuse to assemble the "Legacy 3DFx Monster Gaming Machine" I've been wanting to put together for all of my favorite older games, some of which I really haven't played all that much, due to time issues. But in case I ever do have the time to have a life, I'll be all set. (which ignores the point that playing computer games and flight sims is *NOT* having a life!) (how we delude ourselves!)

So, I donated some funds to my favorite local Chinese computer emporiom, Centeral Computer, and they were nice enough to endow me with the following:

MSI K7T-266PR motherboard
    200/266 MHz FSB
    PC2100 DDR Support
    Ultra DMA33/66/100 on main IDE
    Secondary Promis ATA100 IDE RAID controller
    D-LED Boot Diagnostics
    USB support included PC2PC USB networking

256 MB PC2100 DDR memory

Athlon 266FSB/1.2 GHz- under $200 retail!

Addtronics 6890 case with 300W supply

The MSI motherboard uses the VIA Apollo KT266 chipset, which doubles the communication bandwidth between the north and south bridge to 266 MB/s. Who knows if that means anything in the real world? I'll let ya know....

Also slated for installation are items at home, including a 52X ACER CD-ROM, a 60GB Maxtor ATA100 disk, the afore mentioned 3DFx card, and a Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1 swiped from my living room system, which is getting an M-Audio 24/96 card to replace it. The only thing this version of the MB wasn't equipped with was the USB 2.0 hardware. I think I'll be able to live without it.

You may have noticed, there's nothing about DVD-ROM- there will be another system sitting right next to it, a 400 MHz celery system, with Radeon and DVD-ROM, plugged into the RGB2 input of the NEC XM29Plus. Yes, with the hardware support for decoding that a Radeon has (inlcuding IDCT, motion comp, etc.), a Celeron 300 or up seems to work quite well for DVD. Much UNLIKE a Geforce, which is kinda power hungry to avoid audio and video stutters. I may even try something weird in the Celeron system, like a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for Audio.

Well, I better get busy and download all the most current drivers from the web, before I try to put this puppy together this weekend. Wish me luck, guys.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I really like MSI mobo's my last one was the 6119 and it was flawless for me and MSI has very good support for new BIOS upgrades etc.

Comment

• rudee
      • Oct 2000

yep msi board is tops on my list too. I've got two k-7 pro systems running without a hitch for quite some time. I had a Biostar that caused a bit of trouble and finally it self destructed and was replaced with an epox- the two msi's are my fav.

rudee

Comment

• rudee
        • Oct 2000

opps.....i have trouble connecting and posting to this board every time i try.....i always get a failed error message....then a dbl post

rudee

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Smokin 8) Jon!

Looking forward to it's debut

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Well, it's assembled and partially loaded as of last night.

Not without some issues, but none related to the fundamental hardware performance. The only issue came about because of Creative Labs %#**^#$ drivers, and the fact that even if you "uninstall" them, they apparently leave behind bits and pieces and registry crap that can hose things up.

The HD was cloned from the original bedroom PC, which used a slightly older SB Live card and install. That was uninstalled, using the "Add/Remove" programs stuff. But, the new SB-Live Platinum edition 5.1 moved from the living room system wouldn't be recognized and run no matter what I did with it's install CD. The hardware was detected, there were no addressing or IRQ conflicts, it just wouldn't run.

Solution? Wipe the C: partition to the metal, re-install OS and drivers from scratch. Everthing works as it's supposed to, without touching the hardware configuration.

Only other comment, is that the plug and play for the Promise ATA100 controller was flaky, and I had to manually setup memory ranges and I/O ranges. No big deal.

The MB is very fast, seems quite stable, no flaky behavior at shutdown or other modes. It does support pretty comprehensive S/W overclocking, if you're into that, even through Windows, through a utility that comes with it. The southbridge chip supports ATA100 on it's own IDE controller.

With an ATA100 controller/disk setup, and ACER 56X CD-ROM, stuff installs FAST! Even flight sims with 1.3 GB of high resolution terrain maps.

Baldurs Gate II plays well at 1024X768, which the last PC wasn't really smooth at- though whether it was a processor shortcoming (750 MHz Athlon) or memory ("only " 128MB) is not certain. FLYII, Jetfighter IV, Flanker 2, USAF Fighters and Battle for Britain all run very nicely at XGA. What next, Deus Ex, Enemy Engaged, or B17 Flying Fortress?

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"