X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trickstar74
    • Sep 2000

HTPC for Sony400Q

Hi all,
    I own a Sony 400Q 16:9 lcd panel projector which can only accept 540p with sync on green apparently. I am a novice to computers. I am running a pentiumIII 500mhz 8.4GB, 128MB SDRAM. I currently do not have a DVDrom drive or the other needed hardware or software. Can a novice add these, and will a HTPC run as smoothly as a stand alone dvd player? How well would it handle PAL dvd's as well as NTSC? Or, would I simply be better off with a dedicated processor like the CrystalImage?

Lastly, in laymens terms, since the 400Q already has it's own line doubler that upconverts what is fed into it, via the component inputs to its native resolution anyway, how much of a visible improvment is it? 10%? 20%? etc...
    Does it justify the cost/time involved to get one of these options running properly?? How much better does it look on an anamorphic dvd anyway??
    Can any one provide me with a specific scene on an anamorphic dvd that can show me an example of what failings this Sony's internal line doubler has, and possibly describe how it is bettered/overcome with either a HTPC or the CrystalImage?

I know it's a lot of questions. Unfortunately I have yet to see these Specific points addressed.

Thank you,
    trickstar74
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ok, now JonMarsh is an authority on the 400Q and HTPC, but I believe he's currently traveling on business, so I'll answer the best I can. Jon, I'm sure will drop in at a later date.

1)The Crystal Image scaler doesn't work all that well with the 400Q. This Jon told me directally, when I ask him the same question

2)Yes you can create a HTPC with your current system by adding a DVD ROM, proper graphics card, sound card, and appropriate software. But..

Consider using a separate computer to function as the HTPC. The reason is that a lot of software creates problems for the DVD software and associated playback system. Also it's important to have the proper "mix" of hardware for the system to function smoothly!

3)Yes a HTPC will look quite a bit better than the component output from a stand alone DVD player. Even a very expensive one. One of the big name reviewers for a major HT magazine was testing the $2000 Panasonic unit. At the same time he was testing for a HTPC for the first time. His conclusion that you WON't see in print, is that the HTPC is better than the $2000 player.

The amount of time/trouble/effort/etc, is completely dependant on you computer building skills. It can be completed in a day, if you know what you're doing.

A good example of the benefits of the HTPC is "The Fifth Element". Skin tones are richer, the reflections in metalic objects are clearer and better defined, one can see individual strands of hair. And on, and on, and on,......This isn't an example of the "failings" of the workings of the Sony, but an example of the superority of the HTPC over a stand alone unit.

Sorry no, I can't accurately "quantify" the improvement in terms of percentage.

I'll "rattle Jon's cage and get him to respond to your question directally. In the mean time go here

And here

And do a search using the name "JonMarsh" (without the quotes) I'm sure you'll find enough reading to keep you busy until Jon is able to respond

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• trickstar74
      • Sep 2000

Thomas,
      Thank you! You are a gentleman. I sincerely appreciate the the time you took to answer my querie.

Further to you reply are you currently running a 400Q and HTPC? If so, what are your system specs?

What is the downfall of the Crystal Image?

Is the Sony upconverting at the same resolution when fed from a standalone DVD player,that it then gets fed from a HTPC (ie: 540p)? Does the PC's output bypass the Sony's internal scaler, and is that where the difference is seen? Does it simply do a more refined job of upconverting the DVD source?

Thank you once again Thomas and whomever else may feel inclined to respond,
      trickstar74

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi

Yes as a matter of fact I have the original JonMarsh HTPC, as a "hand-me-down", and a 400Q

It's a little "tweaked". Only a 450 Mhz Celeron, 128megs of RAM, Matrox G400, SB Live Platinium with the front panel "bay" SPDIF outputs, Toshiba IDE DVD ROM. Win98 OS, WinDVD softare, Sound Blaster software, and no other software!

This feeds the video out to a Extron RGB 202 VS2 processor. Sorry but this is $$$$. Here's what it ends up creating.

1)856X480P=16X9 format without overscan
        4X3, or 16X9 "anamorphic" "enhanced" for 16X9"

Or

2)960X540P=16X9 with overscan
        Letterboxed but not 16X9. Will scale up to larger size.

Scanning frequency for both modes is the same=33.75Khz Horizontal by 60Hz vertical

This is the same scanning rate as HDTV 1080i

I don't recall the specifics of what Jon said about the CrystalImage unit. But it wasn't all that good a device for the 400Q

I can't answer your question about the internal Sony upconverting. I'm pretty much a novice with the HTPC stuff myself. Jon just dropped by, set it up, and said here's how to run it. I don't truly know how it all works, but I do know it works WELL!!!

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• trickstar74
          • Sep 2000

Thomas,
          Thanks again, still a little unsure.
          "1)856X480P=16X9 format without overscan
          4X3, or 16X9 "anamorphic" "enhanced" for 16X9"

Or

2)960X540P=16X9 with overscan
          Letterboxed but not 16X9. Will scale up to larger size."

Which is the better mode that results in the best picture quality? can you use either or both modes with anamorphic dvd's?

Thanks,
          trickstar74

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Either mode can be used for anamorphic DVD's, but the 960X540P mode scales the image up slightly, and overscans, like a conventional TV. It is also perhaps just a teensy bit softer because of the scaling.
            The 856X480P mode allows an anamorphic DVD to fill the full 16X9 panel with no overlap. With NTSC DVD's, which are 720X480, there is no vertical scaling, and only slight horizontal scaling. This produces a very good picture with 16X9 ehanced sources.
            On the HDTV input of the 400Q, the scan converter/de-interlacer of the Sony is completely bypassed, so it's operation or behavior is a moot point. Note, PAL DVD's tend to be a problem, because they have to down covert for full screen resoultion if you run 856X480, but they should be OK in the 960X540P mode.

I set up Tom's system and PC, but also use HTPC's with other displays. In general I recommend using a dedicated PC for the task. Also, the AudioAuthority RGB to component converter is a lower cost alternative to the Exetron 202, though report I have indicate is doesnt have the fidelity or bandwidth of the 202.
            The Crystal Image, in it's earlier incarnations, had some issues with component signal level matching, color matrix, and noise. There have been some improvements, and the current version is a good value for the money. For the person not comforatable with PC's and PC software, and unfamiliar with video setup, the Crystal Image might make more sense, and of course be usable with other coventional video sources. I find I don't watch other sources anymore, because of the disparity in playback quality. Also, the Crystal Image is compatible with the 400Q only for the "special order" versions, which have the 540P mode, unelss that has been added recently as a standard feature.
            My experience has been that the best scaling I have seen has been PC based, particularly going up to resolutions like 1280X720P; Faroudja scalers second, Crystal Image and Quadscan FE, third, iScan Plus, fourth.

Hope this helps in your decision process.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"