X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudee
    • Oct 2000

What OS?

Het what's the best/most stable OS to run a dedicated HTPC with? I have win2k pro, Windows 98 and ME? I started to install 2k on my PC but ran into way too many problems and went back to 98. I just got the ME step up from 98 but haven't done anything with it. Which would be best? Thanks
    rudee
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

That's an interesting call. For now, I'd have to say it's between ME and 98SE, because WIN2K doesn't support DD over SPDIF yet.

Between ME and 98SE, that's harder- I've got one of each (the ME thing is more of an "experiment"), and I find there are improvements in the stability of some some media code, and networking has been improved. Plus, the configuration restoration trick can be quite useful- basically, once you get to your fully functional main configuration, save that, so you can restore to that functional mode in case of making any major changes- like installing a remote keyboard, or an HDTV board, etc.
    The main thing I don't like about ME is the lack of any DOS box; for some things, I'm always going to have to have 98SE around.
    On the ME system, which is in my bedroom, WINDVD and Baludur's Gate II are the prime applications, with a couple of flight sims. Video card is Elsa Gladiac, and the system is a DIY ASUS A7V with 750MHz processor (low end these days, but not when it was built)
    UI overall is slightly more polished, and slightly more annoying, in terms of wanting to dumb stuff down for the end user.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

Good advice Jon. I am sure you know this area far better than I. I can only say that configuring my 2000 box, without DVD has been a real experience. I dread the day I have to reconfigure this beast. But I can say, it's the most stable computing environment that I have ever had at home for web development. I can also say that it's the fastest. :B

Anyway, I would probably go with 98 SE if I had that option for an HTPC. I think I have 98, but don't think it's SE.

Lex

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

I'm using windows 98SE and so far it's been fairly stable, powerDVD was extremely stable running in 98SE, winDVD has been less so, but Jon is sending me a patch for winDVD, mine is an older version.
        So I expect better stability using winDVD soon!

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

BTW,

I've downgraded my ME system back to 98SE, while installing a new Fujitsu disk (the relatively new Maxtor drive started degrading then died over a couple of week period) - some glitches that occured with a few programs on an intermittent basis are now gone.

ME is a mixed bag; there are some "improvements", as previously reported, but these improvement "broke" a lot of drivers and programs, and all in all, (particularly for an HTPC) I think stability is more highly valued over some tweaks in the netorking code (which isn'tused in this system!)

Note, some multimedia products, such as the HiPixx HDTV card, *require* 98Se as the minimum operating system.

Happy weekend, folks!

-Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"