X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Saving a little time patching your Windoze system

The Windows Security Update CD will be shipped to you free of charge. This CD includes Microsoft critical updates released through October 2003 and information to help you protect your PC. In addition, you will also receive a free antivirus and firewall trial software CD.

This CD is only available for Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows 98 Second Edition (SE).

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.

One autoinstall...It will save you some time from having to go back continually to Windows Update...highly useful if you have some systems still on NT (like we do at work) where you have to keep reinstalling SP6a and then all the additional security updates.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I ordered the CD a couple months ago and received it a few weeks ago. 2-4 weeks is very optimistic... took more like 6 weeks to get mine.

The package comes with 2 CDs. One is called the Security Update CD and it will update machines running Windows XP, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows 98. Doesn't say anything about NT or 95, but then I haven't looked at the contents of the CD yet.

The second CD is a Free Antivirus and Firewall Software Trial CD. It includes Computer Associates' eTrust EZ Armor LE software, free for a year. It includes EZ Antivirus, and EZ Firewall, which is a custom version of ZoneAlarm Pro (an older version though). I run the antivirus on my laptop and it works ok, though not as well as Norton or NOD32. For example, it doesn't have a POP3 email scanner, and they're sometimes slow with updates for new, fast spreading viruses. But it's better than nothing, especially free for a year.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Gee, this would be a good way for Micro$oft to get names and addresses for a marketing database. Not that I would ever suspect them of doing anything like that ......

Gordon,

Have you tried 'Slipstreaming' the service packs and making a new up to date NT install disc?

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

No, I haven't tried that. But that only works for fresh installs right?

Well my CD came from Microsoft yesterday. I guess MS Canada is a little more efficient (or less busy) as that only took a week from the time I ordered to the time it showed up at my door. This CD includes all patches up to Feb 2004. Nice :T

"A RONSTER!"
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

But that only works for fresh installs right?
          Yeap.....

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"