X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Phone volume issues?

Hey, has anyone noticed volume issues with their phones recently? I listen to a fair amount of music on my Samsung Note phone and it seems that most times I'm listening at maximum volume and it is ok......but not super loud.

With my older phones and various other music players I've had over the years, I've had ample control of it's volume and NEVER did I ever get to it's maximum volume. I'm using regular in ear headphones designed for MP3 listening so the headphones are not the issue. My Note II even warns me when I try to up the volume which annoys me because I'm constantly turning it up to maximum so I can listen to my music at a reasonable volume........and NO, I'm not going deaf!! :lol:

There are various apps that claim to increase a phones volume but none of them work!! :twisted:

Any thoughts on this and why this is happening? Is big brother deciding for us how loud we 'should' play our music ? Is that what this issue is all about??!! :roll:
    Dan Madden :T
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

The loudest phone out there is the HTC One series. My brother in law has a Note 3 and it's like half as loud as my HTC One M8. I also have a buddy with an S5 and it's the same story.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
      The loudest phone out there is the HTC One series. My brother in law has a Note 3 and it's like half as loud as my HTC One M8. I also have a buddy with an S5 and it's the same story.
      Ya.....but.......why??

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Just how they are built, The HTC One's have a pair of really nice front facing speakers. For some reason most other devices seem to use pretty sub-par speakers and generally not front facing. Sometimes with third party tools you can make them louder but usually it makes the speaker sound pretty crappy.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
          Just how they are built, The HTC One's have a pair of really nice front facing speakers. For some reason most other devices seem to use pretty sub-par speakers and generally not front facing. Sometimes with third party tools you can make them louder but usually it makes the speaker sound pretty crappy.
          My first two phones were HTC's and they were very musical units. There certainly were no volume issues either. However, I'm talking about earphone volume capability with my Samsung. LOVE the phone but that little earphone amp in there does not cut the mustard ! It's ok but I would kill for a few more notches up on the volume dial !

Comment

• knowledgebass
            • May 2013

What headphones are you using? Easier to drive units would go louder with the same amp. If you're using studio cans try the cheapo ones that came with the phone. If you're already using low impedance cans then try getting your hearing checked

I have the One M7 and it does go really loud. When using my in ear cans I keep it at one volume notch in my office and two or three when walking (that's on a scale of 16 or so).

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Hmm, not sure what is going on here. Has it always been the case since the beginning? If that is the case, then I would guess that it is a Samsung issue and how they set the max dB output level.

I recall someone else having a similar issue and it was something in the audio settings where an EQ was turned on and by turning it off it would be a bit louder.

Have you tried different player apps to play the same MP3? Sometimes it is the player app that gets updated and it changes the output level.

I really miss the days of the old walkmans/discmans, etc, where you could crank the tunes to stupid levels.

The only other option is to get different earbuds with either larger drivers and or higher sensitivity.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by P-Dub
                I really miss the days of the old walkmans/discmans, etc, where you could crank the tunes to stupid levels.
                That may be the reason us older folks are now having issues with phone volumes.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by knowledgebass
                  What headphones are you using? Easier to drive units would go louder with the same amp. If you're using studio cans try the cheapo ones that came with the phone. If you're already using low impedance cans then try getting your hearing checked

I have the One M7 and it does go really loud. When using my in ear cans I keep it at one volume notch in my office and two or three when walking (that's on a scale of 16 or so).
                  I'm using Sennheiser CX270 in ear headphones currently. They are great cans for the price and with the right sized rubber nibs, they produce exceptional bass. The volume issue is the same when I plug in my vastly better, over the ear Grado prestige cans.

Using the EQ and sound enhancement features on my Samsung DOES affect the volume and it does play louder when none are used (Not stupendously louder though) . However, these features really enhance the sound and not using them is NOT an option for me!

The fact that my Samsung warns me as I'm raising the volume (Then I have to click 'ok' before I can make it go louder) means that they are, in fact trying to limit and control the devices overall volume. Samsung is apparently trying to help us, help ourselves from hearing loss!!

Comment

• knowledgebass
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by madmac
                    I'm using Sennheiser CX270 in ear headphones currently. They are great cans for the price and with the right sized rubber nibs, they produce exceptional bass. The volume issue is the same when I plug in my vastly better, over the ear Grado prestige cans.

Using the EQ and sound enhancement features on my Samsung DOES affect the volume and it does play louder when none are used (Not stupendously louder though) . However, these features really enhance the sound and not using them is NOT an option for me!

The fact that my Samsung warns me as I'm raising the volume (Then I have to click 'ok' before I can make it go louder) means that they are, in fact trying to limit and control the devices overall volume. Samsung is apparently trying to help us, help ourselves from hearing loss!!
                    Weird. The CX270 are rather sensitive headphones with a low impedance. They should be easy to drive.

The hearing protection warning is an Android thing. My HTC one gives the same warning - even with roms like CyanogenMod.

Have you checked the headphones with other sources? I actually have some Grado SR60's at my desk (the old version, not the i or e version). I need to give quite a bit more volume to get satisfactory volume from them. I wonder if there's something wrong with the headphones if the cx270s are so hard to drive. Or perhaps some pocket lint in the port increasing the resistivity? Have you tried to blow out the port with one of those small cans of spray?

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by knowledgebass
                      Weird. The CX270 are rather sensitive headphones with a low impedance. They should be easy to drive.

The hearing protection warning is an Android thing. My HTC one gives the same warning - even with roms like CyanogenMod.

Have you checked the headphones with other sources? I actually have some Grado SR60's at my desk (the old version, not the i or e version). I need to give quite a bit more volume to get satisfactory volume from them. I wonder if there's something wrong with the headphones if the cx270s are so hard to drive. Or perhaps some pocket lint in the port increasing the resistivity? Have you tried to blow out the port with one of those small cans of spray?
                      Interesting idea!! I'll give that a try. The Grados do play at 'slightly lower' than my Sennheiser's do but nothing to get excited about. All I am asking is that the phone play basically as loud as I would like (Like my home system) but that is not the case unfortunately!

On another note, I hooked up the phone to my Peavey mixer amp (for musicians) the other day at a party for some background music. The mixer amp is a monster and even that amp had an issue getting a lot of volume out of my phone when hooked up to the line in input. I'm going to get a special cable to hook it up to the mic input moving forward. That'll fix that issue I'm sure !!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"