X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Playstation 4 Discussion Thread

We're about to see the Playstation 4 gaming system released. If anyone does pick one up, we'd all like to hear all about it!

I'd like to get one myself, but money is really tight right now, so it won't be happening, at least for a while.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I'd be curious to know what the improvements are and, if PS3 games are backwards compatible?.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

No backwards compatibility on either console. And really it's a smart thing to do.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
        No backwards compatibility on either console. And really it's a smart thing to do.
        I personally think it's a really dumb thing to do. NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY!!??. Really??!!. That's just retarded!!. Both the PS3 and PS4 play BD discs so why not??. Money grab I say.........deal breaker for me personally.

You cannot expect people to trash their game collection like lemmings and move on to another console without at least one generation of backward compatibility no??!!. NOT impressed..........

It's kinda' like the fact that all current BD players can play DVD's. That ability was and is paramount to the survival of the BD format.......and it has survived for that reason.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Info on day 1 sales: http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/17/tech...html?hpt=hp_t2
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
            Still not impressed. ...20 games? ?......whoa! !. Too bad you can't play all your other ps3 games that you bought. .....stupid!

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Backwards compatibility is extremely difficult to implement and adds tons of expense on both the manufacturing side and the consumer side especially since these consoles are now X86 and the PS3 used Cell and the 360 used a PPC CPU. So if you wanted another 600+ dollar console sure, and even then the compatibility would be crap and likely not work half the time.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

........I suppose......but......then again???!!!.....ARGH!!. However, I would be very interested to hear some reviews here on the forum on the new unit......it's BD picture quality and performance with BD movies especially.

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

4k upscaling :-)
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Imo, there is a time that you just have to move forward. The whole idea is to have a better gaming experience. I used to be in the camp of backwards compatibility, then I realized, I was never really satisfied with playing old games on a newer console. The graphics are almost never enhanced. And now that most people play on much larger screens, most games just look worst. There are also those occasional system hiccups.

If I want to play a previous gen title, I use the console it was designed for. However, with so many great titles in a more up to date catalog, I don't visit the old stuff often.
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

I'm hearing some unconfirmed rumors of things like not being able to play a CD, no 3D or 4K capability yet but maybe future unlockable, generally being a gaming-centric platform and losing media playback capabilities. Pre-production models that have gone to contest winners have had problems. Might be a good thing that I'm not able to buy one yet.

It has been HUGE to me and my purchase reasons that the PS3 hasn't only been a cool gaming system, but has also been a premier BD player. If the PS4 is going away from this, that's a downer in my book.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

My issue with these consoles is that they played it crazy safe. previous gen consoles were cutting edge for their time, these are all using low end AMD APU's and mid-grade graphics cards. Pretty similar to a mid grade PC that you can buy off the shelf, where as the Xbox 360 and PS4 were ground breaking performance even by PC standards at their release.

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

I think they realized that people aren't going to pay the $600+ for a gaming system in order to have the ground breaking technologies. And they aren't in the mood to post huge financial losses at releasing a new gaming system that almost bankrupts them like the PS3 did. It's the unfortunate nature of things... I don't think you'll see any more severely huge jumps in technology for the consoles in the future. You might see something similar to a "bluray" player in the PS3 when they figure out what the next format will be to deliver the content (if at all when it will probably go towards downloadable)...but I don't think you'll see the day of "never before seen CPU/Video card" type performance. That is unless computers make a huge stride that leaves the consoles in the dust...then they'll adapt.

I mean I am shocked with the consoles becoming basically "just a pc" that they didn't go for something bigger than an 8core AMD (maybe like two 6 cores or something that way) and only 8GB of RAM... I could've seen more towards the 16GB level. But again, that's all extra money and would be raising the cost of the console.

I mean everyone is still complaining on the Xbox One's price tag. So I think they (both MS and Sony) did a wise choice by not going all out...but still surprised that they did a "little" as they did.
                          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                          -Dan

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Hdale85
                            My issue with these consoles is that they played it crazy safe. previous gen consoles were cutting edge for their time, these are all using low end AMD APU's and mid-grade graphics cards. Pretty similar to a mid grade PC that you can buy off the shelf, where as the Xbox 360 and PS4 were ground breaking performance even by PC standards at their release.
                            The problem is that they're hemorrhaging money on these consoles. These suckers really are full fledged gaming PCs for $400-500. They can't afford to build them with better parts anymore, lest they turn away their customer base with $800 consoles. How many console owners know anything about the hardware inside them anyways? All they know is there's a new one so they want it.

edit: Sorry Dan, just noticed you basically said the same thing
                            -Chuck

Comment

• mjb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by impala454
                              The problem is that they're hemorrhaging money on these consoles.
                              Microsoft can afford to, Sony not.
                              - Mike

Main System:
                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Oh I'm 90% sure this is the last of the dedicated consoles, mobile technology like Nvidia Tegra and what not will surpass the PS4 and Xbox One well before the end of their life cycle, and with things like Nvidia Shield and similar devices already emerging I think that's the direction the market is going to go, it's cheaper to develop on, just as powerful, and much more available.

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

I think the console's survival depends solely on the adoption of 4K TVs. It's their last chance for that "wow" factor (the last one being the bump up to HD resolutions). The extra features they throw in like watching netflix and such are going by the wayside to cheaper alternatives.
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• mjb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

^^ Agreed.
                                    - Mike

Main System:
                                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"