Check out a future computer chip (possibly powering the Playstation 3)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Check out a future computer chip (possibly powering the Playstation 3)

Here's the full article:

The new multimedia processor, touted as a "supercomputer on a chip," is well on the way to completion, IBM says. The chip could end up inside the PlayStation 3 game console, and elements of its design are expected in future server chips from IBM.

Here's the cool part:

While the processor's design is still under wraps, the companies say Cell's capabilities will allow it to deliver one trillion calculations per second (teraflop) or more of floating-point calculations. It will have the ability to do north of 1 trillion mathematical calculations per second, roughly 100 times more than a single Pentium 4 chip running at 2.5GHz.
    8)

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

"Cell" could eventually be a serious challenge by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM to the relative hegomony of Intel/Microsoft. I'll be watching this with considerable interest.

But then I always seem to be interested in off beat things- ran BeOS on one system for some time, and will probably get YellowTables Zeta, the licensed upgrade/development of desktop Be. There are things BeOS does with ludicrous ease and reliability that windows just can't touch- including much greater efficiency scaling with multple processors- and it's had a true journaled 64 bit file system for ages. My current notion of a dream system would be a two or four way Opteron running BeOS ported to X64, with applications available, of course. The unfortunate irony of Be is that there's probably never been such a great OS with so few appliations available... though wtih Opera and the GoBe office suite, I could do a fair amount of basic things. And the only other OS I've ever seen 8-10 video windows running simultaneously and smoothly on was a high end Mac runniing OSX- certainly not the same level of hardware that my 600 MHz Athlon had- which would do the same thing. But then, BeOS was designed for media from the ground up.

It'll be very interesting to see what comes out of this besides Playstation 3 and high power inexpensive IBM servers- but imagine this system with Linux ported to it- it would trash the Xenon market for workstations, wouldn't it?

~Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"