X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Google introduces Chromecast

Like a USB drive, but this actually plugs into HDMI port, so you can stream video from computer to your display device via your wireless network. welcome to the future. Cost? $35.00 :T

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Looks a bit limited on format support for streaming local media but a good option for Netflix, Youtube and the like...

Could have probably put this in the new digital media section, no?
    Jason

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I hope this thing will be the beginning of a new trend. I've got one on pre-order, lets wait and see if it lives up to the hype.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

It's basically meant to replace all these broken smart TV's. You can instantly stream from your cell phone youtube videos and stuff I like it.

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

A guy at work got one and likes it a lot so far. He had a google tv and likes this thing way better. For $35 I may give it a shot. My biggest need would be to use it for Amazon Prime, wonder how well that would work?
          -Chuck

Comment

• JeremyG
            • Sep 2008

A friend just received his in the mail yesterday. He brought it over and we tried it out.

It was super easy to set up. Plug into an HDMI port, find power, and go. It gives you a code on the screen to pair the device with a tablet or phone via WiFi. We both downloaded the Chromecast app to our respective Nexus 7s and tried it out. Once you have the Chromecast app on your mobile device, when you launch any of the supported applications there is a button you use to send it to the Chromecast plugged into your TV, or AVR or whatever.

Netflix video was very good. Actually, it was better than the component output of our Wii. Audio from Google's music service was compressed, but not unlistenable to normal people. It did give me a good teaching tool by flipping back and forth from my AppleTV and the Chromecast to show my friend what music compression sounds like.

With all the content out there, plus with the additional features hinted at both through Google and individual ROM builders, this thing could be awesome.

So, I ordered one on Amazon. More to follow.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Got mine and was sad to discover the Chrome screen share does not work with XP. That was one of the main reasons I wanted one..

Kevin D.

Comment

• JeremyG
                • Sep 2008

Huh. The Google website says "Works with Chrome for Windows". Wonder what layer of the onion is the cause of the incompatability? Anyway, I'm buying one for the hardware technology, doubling down on added software capability down the road. $35 is worth the risk in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"