This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

Media player software (W7) for PC_USB to CP800... upgrade bigger than anything

Hello Friends,

As you might know (or not), I myself know recently, different audio players perform diffently.

I got from a German magizine a tip for the best media player:

I used the google docs dowload.

It is a minimalist player, no graphics. But drivers are suberp!

Please try, the magazine is right: the difference is shocking, really.

in terms of B&W or Classe upgrade 3000€ or $ in equipment.

Can those people that use Windows and have cp 800, try this and confirm this and spread the news????

pls feedback! bigger effect than cables or whatever!
    Last edited by gerardhn; 30 July 2011, 09:13 Saturday.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Correct link: http://andy-audioplayer.blogspot.com/

For Mac users, there's a good choice of Audiophile players too. One is Audirvana: http://code.google.com/p/audirvana/

I am in no way affiliated with either.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• gerardhn
      • Jun 2005

i see little response on this topic.
      this means that not many people own a cp800 and even less connect to it with win7 via usb.?

gains are tremendous!

for those interested: http://jplay.eu/forum/jplay/jplayer-audio-quality/

delicious sounding player..

area of cdp's of thousands € is over! haha

see also

http://twitter.com/#!/_jplay_

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

I wonder how many people actually own a CP-800 at this point? I deal with one of the largest Classe dealers in the US and they still have not received their first unit. They also do not know when that will be as they are only told the units are still on back order. It's strange, as some people here have said they have purchased units already?

It is possible that this dealer is dropping Classe and B&W because I know they are not happy with them selling speakers in Best Buy and Classe now being made in China. Maybe I'm not the only one who is upset with their corporate decisions?

Comment

• diononiz
          • May 2011

I am supposed to receive mine next week. Admittedly, I placed my order back on the first week of July. I will updated the forum with some unboxing pics when I receive my unit.

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Brooks,
            in europa it's not so hard have a CP800 units!

Maybe is more easy that the consumer have the pre before the Classe dealers!

I don't know how works in US but in Swizterland and in other small europa countries a lot of consumers make a purchasing in a closed box!

Which is not accepted in the US/ from a US cosumers.

The relationship between customer and seller / dealer is very different here. This leads to different arrangements in relation to your market.
            very often the contact is directly with Classe / B & W .... without many "middlemen" as happens in America

style

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
              Brooks,
              in europa it's not so hard have a CP800 units!

Maybe is more easy that the consumer have the pre before the Classe dealers!

I don't know how works in US but in Swizterland and in other small europa countries a lot of consumers make a purchasing in a closed box!

Which is not accepted in the US/ from a US cosumers.

The relationship between customer and seller / dealer is very different here. This leads to different arrangements in relation to your market.
              very often the contact is directly with Classe / B & W .... without many "middlemen" as happens in America

style
              Have most of your retail audio shops closed in past years so there are no options available except to go directly to Classe for your purchases? It's unfortunate, but many of the US independent stores have closed.

I am fortunate to have several high end retailers still within 30 minutes from my house. The one that I deal with who also sells Classe, still has a large showcase of products. I have wanted to audition the CP-800 and compare it next to the McIntosh C50 for about 6 months now, but the store still has not received their first CP-800.

Comment

• diononiz
                • May 2011

There are a couple of dealers here in the SF bay area that have the CP-800 on display. I have actually had one in my home for an in house demo. The dealer I purchased from has already delivered at least 1 unit to another customer who seems very happy with it. It seems strange that your dealer has not even had a demo unit yet.

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

Have most of your retail audio shops closed in past years so there are no options available except to go directly to Classe for your purchases? It's unfortunate, but many of the US independent stores have closed.
                  in Switzerland you have a only one (1) "big" classe/b&w dealer" and is around
                  at 250km. from my home: at this distant you have of course between 1 or 3 dealer but is more insteressant ($$$) going to knock directly the Classe/B&w offcial importeur !! (if you can!!)

MCinthosh is present with a single dealer in switzerland....for this 2 "brand" you can go in Italy...nearly home, are present units to be listen...BUT is another country = extra $$$$ ( VAT,.)!!!!! and the garantie!

little europa ops:

If I need send a unit the my daeler (Classe) at 250km. from my home in later a week I have the unit back without any cost! (iclused the shipping!!): but if I need send in Italy is the totaly caos! (border, decalretion,...= 2 months for the same operation!)

Sorry but i find very strange that your dealer dont' have the CP800 never see!!!

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

I don't know why they have not had any CP-800s to audition in their store, but they said they have not received any as yet. I think it is possible that they are dropping the Classe line, but I hope they don't so they can keep servicing what I already have.

Comment

• gerardhn
                      • Jun 2005

i have the CP800.
                      Dealer said I was the first in Holland..
                      anyway : I can tell you different players and different windows drivers do sound different over usb.

This is a whole science.

I wonder myself .... but I know I start this discussion too early...

How will ethernet sound on cp 800 compared usb?

Will there also be software quality issues hidden????

Unfortunately a clever Classe engineer never joins this forum...

Comment

• Skyblue
                        • Jun 2009

I tried the stealth player. Its very nice in sound quality, although I do miss the interface..

It does not play any better or any worse than my foobar2k setup. That being said, I did spend a lot of time tuning it with asio and what not. So if people want to hear how good windows can sound, then I heartily recommend it as a fast way to get there. Not too user friendly, but it sounds just as good as a fine tuned machine.
                        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• gerardhn
                          • Jun 2005

Skyblue

I find the stealth player just better than foobar.

Try the jplay trail .. thats definitely higher level
                          Also no graphic interface.

Than you cannot go back to foobar.

Comment

• Skyblue
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by gerardhn
                            Skyblue

Hey Gerardhn,

I have downloaded it and compared it for about an hour now. Its actually very good. I will even say slightly better than foobar and stealth. Not by much, but its there. Details and 3d. Clearly better.

I can see from its text that the only real difference from foobar with respect to playing is that it puts everything in ram. It reserved 1gb ram to play

It has 2 downsides only. An even worse interface than stealth. (How is that even possible?) and then it sees my ayre dac as 24 bit only. Im fairly certain you can feed it both 16 and 32 bit as well.

Worth paying for? Hmm not today I think. It really sounds great, but it is very inconvenient with respect to interface. That should be fixed easely and then I might well consider it..
                            B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Skyblue
                              • Jun 2009

Skyblue

Heh, I sat up to 2:30 am this morning listening on jplay. Using it again right now. You might be right.. The devil is in the details but it IS better. At least it sounds better. Perhaps its just different?

Comment

• gerardhn
                                • Jun 2005

Hi,
                                interface is not a big problem...
                                explorer copy space..
                                (you can use foobar for selection if you like pictures)
                                if you get used to its sound ... there no way back! just a class better!
                                if you have doubt about your 24 bit, send them email..
                                The cp 800 preamp..... it sees also as 24 bit... over usb
                                but 99,9999 % of the music I have 16 bit. It says it fills up with with zeros.
                                Heigth is better, attack is better, sound at low volume is better..
                                its better than classe cd player..
                                I just compared with stealth again... (i play with CA 2300 + 802di) ... diamond tweeter much more happy and fast, backgrounds are standing more clearly..
                                So ... for me no doubt..

(BTW what is 24 bit or 32 bit music in real live? I know, i have 16/44 wav/flac. Only 24/48 flac is available from B&W site and this is played perfectly. I find impovement by using Jplay in 16 bit compared to other players as big as going to 24/48 flac from B&W downloads. I doubt if high res will ever be widely available)
                                Last edited by gerardhn; 08 September 2011, 16:44 Thursday.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                  • Jun 2009

Hi,
                                  interface is not a big problem...
                                  explorer copy space..
                                  (you can use foobar for selection if you like pictures)
                                  Ye I got that.. Just annoying.. Why not have an interface running in another thread^H^H^H^H^H^HProcess?

if you get used to its sound ... there no way back! just a class better!
                                  if you have doubt about your 24 bit, send them email..
                                  The cp 800 preamp..... it sees also as 24 bit... over usb
                                  but 99,9999 % of the music I have 16 bit. It says it fills up with with zeros.
                                  Heigth is better, attack is better, sound at low volume is better..
                                  its better than classe cd player..
                                  It does sound very good.

I just compared with stealth again... (i play with CA 2300 + 802di) ... diamond tweeter much more happy and fast, backgrounds are standing more clearly..
                                  So ... for me no doubt..
                                  I use it on 2 systems. My headfi is ayre qb9, heed canamp v3, denon ah d5000 cans. Very very nice, warm and detailed. My 4.1 is ssp800, diy icepower amps, 800 di, 805s. Both systems sounds very good, but the headfi system clearly haves more detail and synergy. I suspect that my diy icepower modules maybe to blame. Also the room could use room treatment. I am moving soon however I hope, to a more permanent residense, so I havent bothered much with that. :/

(BTW what is 24 bit or 32 bit music in real live? I know, i have 16/44 wav/flac. Only 24/48 flac is available from B&W site and this is played perfectly. I find impovement by using Jplay in 16 bit compared to other players as big as going to 24/48 flac from B&W downloads. I doubt if high res will ever be widely available)
                                  I have some music in 24bit/96. The beatles 24/44 sounds great No 24/192 worth anything though. There is a difference. But mostly the highres music that has been released is concept demos. Not terribly musical.. :/

Comment

• gerardhn
                                    • Jun 2005

Sky,
                                    so we agree...

yes 99€ not cheap... but if you see what pay for a bit more B&W or Classe...

than it is very cheap ..

think of... they invented it.. work on it... how many will they sell??

Comment

• Skyblue
                                      • Jun 2009

Sky,
                                      so we agree...
                                      It might well be getting to that point

I am going to evaluate it more over the weekend. Its certainly sounds better than foobar. But Id like to reserve a final opninion for later. Sometimes what sounds good initially, may not sound good in the long run. But now I am just nagging. I might very well buy this player

Comment

• gerardhn
                                        • Jun 2005

I laugh...

I recognize your resistance to belief what happened to your stereo with such "simple" player and your resistance to spend money on it... We all like freeware..

There is no point of return too foobar on hi end system when you experienced and get used the differences...

I bought the program after one week trying, I have no regret because it is good (the best as far as I know) !

And also the 2 owners give good support, they are just audiophilic little boy idiots like we are.
                                        Last edited by gerardhn; 10 September 2011, 12:49 Saturday.

Comment

• slauten
                                          • Aug 2011

I am real new to the lossless/flac format. What is the best way to get this type music on my iPod? Can you do it via CD you rip to iTunes?

See Ya,
                                          Steve

Comment

• slauten
                                            • Aug 2011

P.S. I did download Bitperfect, but not used it yet.

Steve

Comment

• Skyblue
                                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by slauten
                                              I am real new to the lossless/flac format. What is the best way to get this type music on my iPod? Can you do it via CD you rip to iTunes?

See Ya,
                                              Steve
                                              Flac is just wav files that are compressed like a .zip. It means that once uncompressed, the music is bitperfect. Unfortunately apples products do not support flac, so you have to go another way:

Best ipod sound

Comment

• slauten
                                                • Aug 2011

Skyblue-thanks for the tips!

See Ya,
                                                Steve

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                  • Jun 2009

I laugh...

I recognize your resistance to belief what happened to your stereo with such "simple" player and your resistance to spend money on it... We all like freeware..

There is no point of return too foobar on hi end system when you experienced and get used the differences...

I bought the program after one week trying, I have no regret because it is good (the best as far as I know) !

And also the 2 owners give good support, they are just audiophilic little boy idiots like we are.
                                                  I actually ended up buying it. Lets see if I regret it

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                    • Jun 2005

no, its better than "foobar".....
                                                    and we are rich man here ..

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                      • Jun 2009

no, its better than "foobar".....
                                                      and we are rich man here ..
                                                      Not really. Rich people dont spend their money. Thats why they are rich

Story goes, that bill gates once had a line of 10 people waiting behind him because he was looking for a 50 cent discount coupon, while being the richest man in the world. A person behind him offered sarcasticly to pay it for him!!

I once computed that he made 4 mio. dollars a day on average. You would think he could just send someone on a plane for whatever he needed instead of going himself, looking for the coupon?

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                        • Jun 2005

for all cp800 players...

i recall please try the jplay audio player v3.4 to play over usb...

and forget any expensive cdp .....

only skyblue tryed ... and bought... but this a too low score in Classe forum for the most cheap product putting digital play in another league

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"