X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Anyone familiar with Acer computers ?

I'm looking at a very basic model with an Athlon AMD cpu, 3.00GHz, a 1TB hard drive, 4 GB Ram, 6 USB ports, etc., and Windows 7 OS. It's less than $400 and I like the compact size. I currently own a custom built Pentium 4 but it is long in the tooth and is starting to cost money for repairs. Although I like Intel, I've owned two AMD cpu's and liked them, so the switch back doesn't bother me. I'm just not familiar with Acer computers ( though I've owned a couple of monitors, currently using one now ). I only use a computer about 2 hours or less a day, and I don't game, so I don't want to put out a lot of money. Any replies would be appreciated.
    My Homepage!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Don't have any specific experience with their computers but... They're on the lower end of mid-range in general I'd say George. Decent features for the money, maybe not as well built as more expensive companies but should do the job.
    Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

You can't go wrong with Acer. I've bought 15 computers for people that were Acers and not ONE has come back with any problems. A couple got virii on them and just need cleaned, but that's not Acer's fault! lol

Acer and Asus are my top two computer manufacturers at this moment. Definitely don't hesitate for going with an Acer.

Infact, one of the Acers I got was for Bill's (WKHanna) wife. She still loves it and uses it daily at home.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I've owned Acer, Dell, and Gateway Notebooks. I had most issues with the Dell but their customer service is rather fantastic so it got fixed fast. I never had many issues with the Acer or the Gateway, this is of course for notebooks. For desktops I only go custom generally.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Oh I've also had a Vaio notebook, it was fantastic and my favorite to date.

Comment

• whoaru99
            • Jul 2004

I had an Acer notebook. Never had any problems with it.

As we speak, I've just finished boxing up my Acer 22" LCD for warranty repair/replacement because overnight it developed a 1 pixel wide, vertical green line the entire height of the display about 1/3 of the way from the left edge.

Good thing is the Acer monitor had 3-year warranty and I had roughly 180 days left. Gotta pay shipping but $11 is a fair bit less than a new monitor.
            There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Thanks, folks. The Acer is starting to look pretty good.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Man, memories... that was my first computer! :B

Actually, I deal quite a bit with Acers now. They were always a lower range of computers, but I've never really had any real problems with them. I would say you can't really go wrong with them. Good value.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Well I went ahead and bought the Acer and after a month of use I couldn't be happier. A very quiet pc, too.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Congrats George, glad it worked out well for you :T
                    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Yay! :banana:
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Thanks, guys. The only thing is I really liked Windows XP and am trying to adjust to Windows 7 but I really did prefer XP. Oh, well, I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

If you're talking about the look, you can make 7 look like XP, windows 7 is quite a bit quicker and more stream lined then XP though.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Hdale85
                            If you're talking about the look, you can make 7 look like XP, windows 7 is quite a bit quicker and more stream lined then XP though.
                            Look is part of it but there are otherthings like the loss of Outlook Express. I really dislike Windows Live Mail. But as I said, I'm sureI'll get used to it.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Yeah, you could look into other alternatives for mail, like Firefox's mail program is supposed to be one of the best out there according to a lot of people.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"