X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I like Netflix !!

:T First off, I've gotta say that I am still mesmerized by the PS3 system and what it can do, both for BD playback, gaming, pictures etc. Now, I have discovered that this baby will connect and play streaming movies via Netflix for $7.99/ month?. Holy cow!! And....it's dvd quality and in Dolby digital as far as I can see :E

I'm impressed !!

ps....Netflix consumes a lot of gigs and bytes so be forewarned if you have a cap or limit on your internet service!!. One movie will consume approx 2.5 gigs of internet!!.
    Dan Madden :T
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

PS3, and the Xbox 360 are supposed to be able to do Netflix HD streaming.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

I think the Wii can do it too. I doubt the presentation would be as nice as the PS3 though. The PS3 is essentially a computer while the other too are not so much so.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

The PS3 and Xbox360 both do the HD version and it's just as good as through Cable (or very close). They both do a good job.

Wii doesn't do HD so it's stuck at 480p max.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

To even do 480p on the wii you have to hunt down component cables which isn't always easy.

Not sure how the PS3 is more PC like then the xbox 360? Both are very powerful platforms even now being what 7-8 years old? PS3 is still a bit more limited in game titles though, not sure why? They have only had a couple of real big hits.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

If you compare the graphics of Xbox to the PS3 there is no comparison. The PS3 blows it away. For that reason, I was assuming that it would not produce as nice a picture using Netflix but I could be wrong!!??.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Can't say I've seen that same result, Looking at the same game on both consoles they generally look nearly identical. In fact I've actually seen a couple titles that looked a bit better on the 360, but it was very small differences. Both are power houses, and from what I see they both have about the same capabilities graphics wise. You can't compare titles that are not the same between the 2 different consoles because they are produced by different companies and most of the time have extremely different goals in mind. GT5 probably is one of the best console based games graphics wise, it's also the newest and was in development for something like a decade. This doesn't mean that the Xbox 360 couldn't equal the quality, the hardware is there for it.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Interesting. I was at my bother's house at Christmas and his kids had the 'kinect' thingy going on their Xbox and it honestly looked similar to the Wii software. It looked basically like a cartoon. The PS3 stuff looks real!!. Of course, it could have been the game itself I was watching on the Xbox. However, I have yet to play anything on the PS3 that doesn't look real. The other day, I was playing Tiger woods golf on my PS3 and my wife's mother walked into the room (83yrs old).....sat down and started watching it, thinking that it was real live TV!!!. Hehehehe!!. I Had to laugh !!.

Comment

• krips
                  • Sep 2007

Yes, it is the kinect software you saw that made it look like 'wii'. Typically xbox games look very similar to those on the ps3, and i would assume that the netflix presentation would be similar as well.
                  Sharp LC-42D64U
                  TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I'm out of the country for now, and so I can't use the streaming function on my Netflix account, on my iPhone or PS3. Might try it when I get back home, but unless I stream over the iPhone 3G, I've got download capacity limits on my home internet service, so I can't really do that either.

Now, on the other subject, I did pick up the PS Move accessories for my PS3. They're not bad, but I've seen quirks with it so far.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Yeah, I don't think either the Wii's or the PS3's motion abilities come anywhere close to the abilities of Kinect. I bet Nintendo felt pretty embarrassed when the Kinect came out.

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

The PS3 move is amazing and beats the Kinect in my opinion. MUCH more responsive than the Kinect. My nephew was playing a Kinect game at Christmas and I noticed a very apparent delay in his movement vs what I was seeing on the screen. Although you have to use a wand for the PS3 move, it is VERY responsive and immediate. Try the table tennis!! It's awesome!. I'm just waiting for them to come out with 'Move Tennis'.!!

@Chris D - Netflix consumes a huge amount of internet usage. If you have limits, it will likely be a deal breaker as it is for me currently. Forget about the phone thing! That'll kill you bandwidth wise and you'll get seriously charged for that. I have a 34 gig limit this month and I've already consumed 24gigs mostly because of Netflix. And that's after having watched only a few full movies and sampling parts of others. Another thing I've noticed here in Canada is that even after almost a month, I see no real new movie additions to the menu. I love the concept of this service and it's very cheap but the lack of new movies and the high bandwidth costs are a deal breaker for me unfortunately!.

Comment

• krips
                          • Sep 2007

You can get unlimited for your phone too. I just got a new phone and for $40 i get unlimited data/texting etc.
                          Sharp LC-42D64U
                          TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I haven't noticed any delay issues with the Kinect. Could be an issue with setup, placement in the room, possibly even objects in the room.

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

@Dougie.....True about the setup and placement thing. Most people do not properly read the instructions and set up properly. They simply just 'plug and play' and hope for the best. The worst example being any modern HDTV hooked up and played with straight out of the box settings!! ARGH!!. The PS3 forces you to re-calibrate at the beginning of each game played. It takes a second but it insures a good gaming experience!.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Some Kinect games do the same, but there are many placement issues, lighting issues and so on. Any bright sunlight can really throw it off and so forth.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"