X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

Xbox 360 vs PS3 as "music server"

A few months ago I uploaded all my CD's to my hard drive (in mp3 format). I was going to connect my computer to my HT system but have a few challenges with this (mostly the location of computer to HT equipment and I live in an apartment). THen I got to thinking why cant I put the music on either the Xbox 360 or PS3. Question is, which console would be better suited for this? Other than playing games and watching blu-ray movies on PS3 I havent gotten into the other features of the systems. I know the PS3 hard drive is much bigger but I dont have much music at all, maybe 2-3 gigs.

It should be noted I dont plan to play games and listen to music. The music will be used as a source of background music (like for parties and stuff) so I dont need audiophile level performance.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I believe the PS3 should be close to doing the same thing as the Xbox 360...

I have my music on both my Mp3 player and on my PC, my Xbox is able to use music from both to play over the stereo and as background to games...

The only "downside" I have with it is the fact that it won't play playlists unless the music is on the HD...which I don't keep it on (I see no need for it).

So I would think the PS3 should do the same thing within it's music playing abilities (well not sure about using the PC as a music source), but you should be able to use an MP3 player or put the music down to the HD.

...which leads to no real reason to get a 360 if you already have a PS3.

-Dan
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Hi,

If you only have 2-3 gigs, space is not an issue at all. I've no experiece with the PS3 otherer than what I've read. However as an Xbox 360 owner, I can offer something.

I access and playback music on my 360 wirelessly from my PC. The 360 is connected to my Rotel RSX-1055 via toslink. Most of my CD rips are lossless but some older rips are compressed. Quality of playback is very accepable.

But there is one bugbear that I have with the 360. When browsing the menu and media files, every line selection generates a little bleep - even when playing back a file. You could set up a playlist and leave it be - then all will be well - could be OK for you. But, I like to browse the menu and music folders while listening to a track - the bleeps just drive me nuts and as such I hardly use the 360 for music playback anymore.

With that said, as both consoles will meet your needs, what do you prefer with regard to the games?

Also, rumour has it that MS are planning to launch an updated version of the 360 (Zephyr) - the HD-DVD will be built in, HDMI as standard and a larger capacity hard disk.
      Given the amount of 360 games I have, I can't see myself getting a PS3.

V.
      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

I have both systems already but no seperate mp3 player. My primary PC is a laptop so I dont want to hard wire a connection to anything. I am a bit of novice when it comes to wireless so how do you get the 360 and pc to communicate. I imagine the first step is to get the antenna for the 360 but have no clue how to proceed from there. Can you guys give some details on how to do it or point me in the right direction - would really appreciate it?

And I plan to get the updated 360 if its for real (i heard that rumor to). I want the HD DVD drive but no another piece equipment. Building in the drive would be a huge plus and with HDMI added is enough to get me to double dip.

This latest generation of video game consoles sure is getting expensive. I thank my new Samsung 56" DLP 1080p on the PS3. If it didnt have blu-ray I would have stuck with my 3 year old Mits 48" CRT RPTV (even though it take up a lot of real estate).

Comment

• Seeme
          • Dec 2004

Do you have a portable MP3 player? I use my creative lab 30GB mp3 play and I have it connected to my Xbox 360. That way I can use the portal MP3 player when I travel or work out... then return it to the USB connection on my Xbox 360 when I want to enjoy it on my home theater system. Works great and I'm able to use the remote to control eveything.

The Flexablity... is great.

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

Originally posted by Seeme
            Do you have a portable MP3 player? I use my creative lab 30GB mp3 play and I have it connected to my Xbox 360. That way I can use the portal MP3 player when I travel or work out... then return it to the USB connection on my Xbox 360 when I want to enjoy it on my home theater system. Works great and I'm able to use the remote to control eveything.

The Flexablity... is great.
            No, I dont have a portable MP3 player. I had considered getting one but it would never get used.

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Connecting up the 360 wirelessly is a cinch, assuming you have a wireless network, I should qualify.. The wireless adapter is plug and play. No software installation required. It will automatically find your wireless network and connect easily. It's in the setup menu on the Xbox.

If you don't have a wireless network, well the first thing you need is a wireless access point - I use a Linksys wireless router/switch. Costs about €100. This too is 'almost' plug and play. I can go into more detail here if you need it - just ask - but for now I'll offer a broad outline.

Once it's all up and running the final step is to set up your PC to act as a 'server' for your XBox. Again, quite easy to do - assuming you are running MS XP. If you have XP Media Centre 2005 , audio and video streaming to the Xbox is available as part of the core system. If you are running other variants of XP, you will need to install the Windows Connect Service application - loads of info on this and downloadable from the Microsoft site - however this will only stream audio. Interestingly other streaming devices like the Squeezebox require this application so it's a standard enough tool

So that's it in a nutshell. If you need more detail let me know.

V.
              Vincent.

Comment

• Pez
                • May 2004

Thanks!!!

I will give it a try first chance I get (this weekend). I do have a wireless router so I am set there. I had been debating the wireless adapter for the xbox since I am not an xbox live member but will get one for this application. My Windows is XP Pro 2002 (sp 2) so it looks like I need the download. Once I give it a go I will report back my results. Thanks again.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Vincent...

To turn off the annoying beeping when browsing through songs, go into the xbox system menu and I believe under the sound menu, there should be an option for turning off the sounds in the dashboard. That's what I've done for a bunch of people and it's definitely nice...you just don't get the cool sounds when switching options or blades...

Only other downside I hate with the 360 is the fact that it won't play playlists off of anything that has music not located on the 360 HD....which is a pain because you have to either load the songs manual every time, or just tell it to play all of a certain directory.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Alloroc
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Is that a newer feature from an newer update? I can tell you that that option did not exist when it came out first! I repoerted it to MS at the time and was told it could not be changed - it's great that they removed it. Cheers for the tip off.

V.
                    Vincent.

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Yeah it was in one of the updates (I think 2 back) it's under the System blade, in the system configuration under "Audio" It's the Sound Effects I believe, just turn them off and there ya go!

Why they didn't do that in the first place I'll never know. Course why they don't make a lot of changes to the music player (like showing the artist and song and making it easier to read from the browswer so you don't have to go into the song) I'll never know. They need to make it a lot more like a WinAmp functionality, heck even making it like a full extension off of media player I could handle better. lol
                      -Dan

Comment

• Alloroc
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

Well now, for the hell of it I decided to install Media Centre 2005 on my PC - to see what it was like. It was trickier to set up than regular XP but no biggie(they designed it that way) - well I am a techie. Anyhow, once up and running and I installed the Media Centre Extender on the PC and I sync'd up to the 360. I have to say I'm pretty impressed. You have the full Media Centre interface on the 360 - the same as is on the PC and it works a treat. Audio streaming is perfect and the interface is better than that on the non-media cente interface as is on the Xbox. What impressed me was the video streaming - pretty much flawless - Although it does not dupport xVid etc. which is a pity.

I did not get much of a chance to fully explore and test but will over the next couple of weeks.

V.
                        Vincent.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"