This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Well it has started... the upgrade has started...

So far, I've gotten the Norco RPC-4020 Case.

Bought the 3 120mm bracket in the server and got 3 120mm Noctua Fans.

Replaced the back 80mm fans (as they were too "server" sounding loud) with 80mm Noctua Fans.

I also got 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaw Ram for the server.

I am using 16 2TB WD20EARS drives and 4 1.5TB WD15EARS drives. However, I have to replace all those drives with Hitachi 2TB 7K3000 6G drives due to WD eliminating the ability to change the TLER to under 8 seconds to stop the controller from dropping the drive in a raid 6 config. So look for me selling these drives decently cheap (like $40 for 2TB drives) sometime in the future. I think that'd be a fair price for about 100HRs of use on the drives and all drives having still 2.6years of warranty on them (all failed drives I got have been swapped).

Course that all depends on if the controller I got has issues with the drives or not, if they fall out of the array, they'll be gone... if not then I'll be good.

My RAID controller I bought is the Areca 1880ix-24-4G with the Areca Battery Backup as the speeds are amazing from it and I wanted a quality Hardware controller that could control everything inside as well as the HABEY external drive array.

I'm still waiting for a good sale in this next month for the Asus M4A89GTD systemboard, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Processor.

Once I get that I can back up my 2008 server, install everything go with 2008 R2 and set up a new array of 22TB (2 spare drives) in Raid 6....

Hopefully I can be completed in the next month with it! :T
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Dan, PM me about those drives I'd be VERY interested! Maybe we can work something out on all of them lol.... The 2TB drives that is.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Sure thing, I'll let you know what I'm doing with them once I get the systemboard and CPU... then I'll have a better idea. If I loose more than 2 drives (well really any without an actual drive failure) during the array creation then I'll know that the WD TLER is going to kill me and at this point, I'll just throw all Hitachi drives in it so I won't have problems.

About a month and we'll both know...from what I've been reading though I don't think I'm going to have a ton of luck with these drives. :/

I'd stick with the software RAID that I have now, but I need more port multipliers and I don't really have any expansion with the rpc-4020 for extra cards in there.

I'll let you know Dougie, that was my fear of no one wanting the WD drives.
        -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Well I'm running software RAID atm, but I'd have to add more cards for all 16 drives, but I'd likely just run 8 (how many ports are on my board I believe) and my brother in law might want the other 8, or Bob possibly as he's in the midst of building a server him self

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Cool I'll let you guys know what's going on as soon as I get the money for everything put together (well I have it actually). However, they raised my property taxes by 15K, so I have to see how much I'm going to owe in back taxes now... so that might dip into the fund set aside for this...

Wish there was some place really really cheap to buy all the parts I need. hee hee.
            -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

HOLY! BY 15K! Out here that's like half the cost or 1/4 the cost of a lot of houses lol.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Sorry, they raised the assesment by 15K... so that's about a ~$450 a year increase in property taxes owed.
                -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Ok, I about dropped a load when I heard that! I told Bob and he's like "where the heck does he live!" I mean I knew PA had higher property taxes....but man that's way up there!

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Just got the new systemboard put together (well this was a couple days ago). Installed Windows Server 2k8 R2 (15 min to install). Upgraded the domain and transferred all rolls to this machine and shut down the old server...

New server:
                    Asus M4A89GTD/PRO
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
                    16GB GSkill DDR3 RAM
                    Xigmatech Loki 92mm heatsink & fan
                    Artic Silver thermal paste

-Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Here's the old server (partially torn apart). It's a Windows Server 2008 server on a P4 w/ 4GB of RAM. Just tooo slow booting, transcoding, basically everything! So it was time for an upgrade... I put the server in the new Norco case for the month to just see how I liked it. Definitely liked it! Added the 120mm Fan bracket and put all Noctua fans in it (completely silent and moves just the same amount of air) compared to the stock fans in the case.

-Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Here's the new server installed and running. I only have one Sata controll hooked up and running just a 4.5 TB Raid5 with all the stuff I really care about. Rest of the drives are pulled out and awaiting the Areca ARC-1880ix 24 4GB SAS card. The card should be here either late this week or next week. Battery Backup Unit is also on it's away for the SAS controller (hence why all the openings in the back).

Last edited by PewterTA; 23 April 2011, 21:38 Saturday.
                        -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

Reverse shot... lots of room for all the cables once the Areca gets there!

-Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I need to do that fan upgrade..... the stock fans are definitely hair dryers! It sits in a closet though?

Doesn't the backplane do SAS connections? Are you going to go with those or just use SATA?

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

Right now, no it's not in a closet and I wanted to make it as quiet as possible. I have a laundry room next to the theater that it might eventually go into and I don't want it noisy. Right now it's sitting in the computer room upstairs and even at night walking by the room with the door open, it's tough to tell for certain that it's on unless you are in direct site! :T

This is the RPC-4020 and has 4 sata connections on it vs. the SFF-8087 single connection. At the time I needed all sata connections when I got it to move everything into a single case. The Areca 1880ix-24 I got I ordered the SFF-8087 to 4 sata fanout cables. So the card will use it, just adds a little bit of extra cabling and minor air flow issues with all the extra cables.

This was the best of both worlds solution and also cost less. The next case (when/if I add to this server) will be the 4220.

I'm still waiting on my Areca card... I got the BBU for it...but doesn't do much good without the card. Should be here Monday.

Then the HD testing begins, thinking of setting up a quick Raid 0 and running tests on the drives to see how they perform in a raid set, probably take me a good week to find out what I'm doing with the drives.
                              -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Yeah no worries, I probably couldn't pick them up for a few weeks if you were going to sell them anyways

I have that same Norco case. I think maybe the newer version has the SAS connections as well or something? I don't know maybe yours is the newer one lol. Actually I think the 4220 you are talking about is the newer updated one that has SAS and SATA connections.

Comment

• FrozenRapids
                                  • Sep 2010

Wow 20 TB thats insane, I have 4 TB right now and Im about 65%-70% full, I guess I need to catch up and go shopping for a ton of movies and TV shows.
                                  Home Theater Deals

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

Well Areca card got delayed, didn't get shipped until Monday (not 100% sure of this, just hoping)... so I'm hoping by this weekend I'll have it...but not guarantees... ARGH. I hate that...but oh well, what can one do?!

In the mean time I'm now waiting on a Musical Fidelity V-Link, UltraViolet USB cable, and aMG USB Isolator. These are going to be used to play back the hi-res vinyl digital rips into the Cambridge Audio 840c.

So that's even more things I'm not waiting on. ACK... lol wait wait wait.

Make sure if you get the Noctua fans, get the NF-P12 and not the NF-S12B FX ones. The S12Bs look like they move more air and they do...but the pressure needed to move air through the case causes the P12s to be much better in the case. I know because I ordered the S12Bs and wasn't happy with the amount of airflow... So I'm going to put them in my desktop case to quiet it (it's about 3x the server in fan loudness.............. with only 3 fans total........well 4 with silent fan in PSU.

I'm 100% sold on only using Noctua, they are well worth the extra price to buy them. Amazon.com has been about the best prices I've seen for them.
                                    -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Yes I've used Noctua fans for quite some time. I wish they came in different colors though lol. Black is a suggestion

I hate waiting for stuff as well! I have a tendency of overpaying for shipping just so I can get it next day.....

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

I like the color... Different. Like the performance best though...i never really see then in the case.

I can't stand posting extra for shipping...makes me feel like I'm being ripped off. Waiting is not a huge deal, annoying yes....especially when it seems to take forever! But too late to do anything about it. oh well I nursing I'm to used to newegg and there quick free doing when you can get it. Lol
                                        -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

Wooo hooo... nothing like late.

Areca Raid card just shipped today from CA... so by the end of the week hopefully I'll have it. They have a "direct signature required" on the shipping info which I think means I need to be home for them to deliver it... argh... what a pain... hopefully they'll leave a sign slip that'll take care of it... :/
                                          -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Can't work from home that day huh? If anything after the first attempt just have them hold it and go pick it up at the facility.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

I have left a signed note telling them to leave it in past.

It worked for me.

That is, if your not concerned with your package sitting on your door step untill you get home. :W
                                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Depends on the signature requirements, if it has to be HIM and no one else I'm not sure they would take a signed note.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                  • Nov 2004

It had to be an inperson and signed at that time for them to leave it. SO I had to end up going to Robinson's FedEX world exchange center.

One and a half hour round trip, but got to take the Trans Am out!

Looks pretty sweet except I got the wrong cables as I need the fan out cables... so now I got to wait even longer for the correct cables... UGH. Oh well at least I can get the card set up.

-Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                    • Nov 2004

Okay got it all put together and so far *knock on wood* my 2TB WD Green Drives are working okay. I tried putting on some 1.5TB drives and before the Raid 5 completed it had dropped a drive out of the array and started rebuilding with another 2TB Global Hot-spare. So forget using the 1.5TB drives at all.

So I'm thinking I got 4x1.5TB WD Green Drives that need to go and the Silicon Image 3124 Raid Card and cables can go with it for all I care.

When I get home I'll check on the Warranties on all the drives, but I think it's still a year or two on them all. If anyone is interested in either the drives and/or Raid card and 4 sata cables. Let me know! Otherwise I'll just throw this into my desktop and use it as a partial backup storage location for the server.

I'm thinking I will start adding the Hitachi drives into the array as funding and drives drop from the array. We'll see how quickly that happens or doesn't.....
                                                    -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                      • Nov 2004

Here's the warranty on the drives for whomever might be interested in working out a deal on them...

Everywhere I see these drives it's about $70 for them, I'll let them go $40 per drive plus shipping (which shouldn't be much). So probably end up about $45 a drive.

-Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Still no issues with the other drives? I was really hoping to get some of those lol

Cut a deal for all of them? And the raid card? How many port is that raid card?

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                          • Nov 2004

Hey sorry, didn't see this post (actually haven't looked at the site in a while).

I'm up for making a deal on the 1.5TB drives.

The Raid card is 4 port, it does support port multipliers (up to 4) like this one.

Just let me know and we can work on something. Just tell me how many you are looking for and what all you need.

-Dan
                                                          -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                            • Nov 2004

Almost forgot to post it!

22TB Raid 6
                                                            4.5TB Raid 5 (the 4 extra 1.5TB drives) :E

-Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2006

Yeah if I get those 4 drives from you I'll be somewhere around 10..... lol. You've definitely got me beat! I'm going to start replacing drives probably mid next year with 2 (or 3 if they are economical at that point) TB drives and then setup the ones I have now into a backup server to backup music and important documents and stuff.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2007

Nice!
                                                                -Chuck

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                  • Nov 2004

Ha ha, no if I pull the 4x 1.5TB, I loose the 4.5TB array, then I'm left with just the 22TB....

But once they are gone, then I go and add 4 x 2TB drives and then I have a full 30TB RAID 6 array.

Plus room for at least 8 more drives (4 more internal) and 4 more external. Course each SAS port can take a 5 SAS port expander...so I can go really really big. But at $250 an expander card, that's not cheap at all (plus storage cases and what not. Not that it'll ever get that big mind you. I think 30TB would be plenty for the moment...

Maybe.

lol
                                                                  -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                    • Nov 2004

That's my next thing I'm thinking about selling my 2x SDLT320 drives and all 20 - 24 tapes (160/320GB) I have and get a nice LTO 4 tape drive and tapes (800GB/1.6TB per tape)...since the prices are starting to come down on those.

That way I can back the entire thing up. But I might just go to LTO 5 and be done with it. 1TB/hr backup. I can handle a max of 30hrs to back the entire thing up. lol.

Anyone want some SDLT320 Tape drives and tapes and Adaptec LVD-SCSI card?!
                                                                    -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Can you automate the backup process with tape drives? I was thinking about just setting up a second server and setting up some automated backups to it.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        • Nov 2004

I use backup exec with the tape drives... it's automated as long as you put in the backup tapes... lol

If I could've found a cheap library for SDLT tapes without 2 backup drives in it I could take these out and put them in that then load up the library...

But I'll keep looking and eventually just invest in a different backup solution. I could always build another server and replicate the data... ha ha. Decisions decisions...
                                                                        -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                                                        😀
                                                                        😂
                                                                        🥰
                                                                        😘
                                                                        🤢
                                                                        😎
                                                                        😞
                                                                        😡
                                                                        👍
                                                                        👎
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"