X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Does your Server got room?!

I just hit the 20TB mark! :T

I got the Habey 12 bay HD array and just added a 4 HD array to the server giving me 16 1.5TB drives in a Raid 5 config! :E

If you look at the Pic, this is on just one of the Raid Controllers...and I actually could add another drive to each channel...but that would take some different work on doing that. Easier to just use the other Raid controller that's completely free...I'm thinking the next is a a 20 bay expansion with all 2TB drives.

Anyone that wants to use WD15EARS drives and are worried about their Raid performance/reliabitly, don't be, these drives are awesome with their 64MB cache.

Now to fill up the final 4TB with movies... sad part is I only have about 1/2 my movies on here..... 8O
    Attached Files
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Raid 5 with that many drives?

I have 6 drives in mine but I really need more space (getting very low) but I think I might go with 2TB drives and swap them with the ones I have and also convert from raid 5 to raid 6, the more drives the more likely more then one will fail at a time.

That's a lot of storage though, I'm jealous My case has 20 hot swap bays. Just not utilizing them all yet lol.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I was going to get your case and I still might with the Habey 12 bay under it... that'd be cool...but I got the Habey for almost nothing... so... had to go this way.

I'd LOVE to do Raid50...but the 3214 doesn't support it, just up to Raid10 and JBOD...I wanted some redundancy, so I kept it and expanded the Raid 5 and did a few changes to how things are configured to get it working right....so far so good.

I'm definitely going with the 2TB WD20EARS (I think that's their green drives) with the 64MB cache on them...but that won't be for a long while since I can't spend any more money on this...

Plus I think the next change I'm making is to a 3ware controller and re-doing the RAID to 50. Course that'll take a long time for me to back up everything to the SDLT backups...but it'll be worth it. I'm only backing it up every couple months now as it is due to only having 2 stand alone SDLT drives, I really need a library so I don't have to baby sit it as much when I do backups... lol
      -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

That much? Holy crap, dude... you creating Skynet?
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

20TB... what the heck does one do with 20TB?

I have 3 TB on my server, and it's only about half full with pretty much everything in my world on it, including backups of all my other systems, a few VMs, etc. I don't archive movies though (yet).

If I were going to have 20TB storage, I'd probably spread it across 2-3 servers and have them back each other up.

Also, how the heck do you back up 20 TB of data?

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well I've got 5TB's of usable storage and it's like 85-90% full. But I do backup movies and use media front ends on my TV's for watching. The movies just sit on a shelf but I really like the system I use.

Even so, 20TB's would last me a few years.

I was going to say if you're going to buy new drives then just build a new server and use the old one for backing up. I know quite a few people that do that.

Right now I'm doing software raid, but I'm considering upgrading to a hardware raid card when I upgrade the drives. When I built my server the 1TB drives were the sweet spot as the 1.5TB drives were still having a lot of issues. But I may go with an Areca or 3M raid card of some sort. Should improve performance a bit and give me some added flexibility as well as backup features.

You must be ripping your movies completely uncompressed. Right now I'm using x264 codec in an MKV package. My biggest movie is like 32gb's though and that's like no compression (Avatar) but most are around 10gb's. I don't notice any loss really with doing so of course I've stripped the high res audio out as well as currently my system can't use it anyways.

Comment

• looneybomber
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Kevin P
              Also, how the heck do you back up 20 TB of data?
              That's what I want to know... :E

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dougie085
                I was going to say if you're going to buy new drives then just build a new server and use the old one for backing up. I know quite a few people that do that.
                That's what I'm planning on doing with mine. Right now I've got a two drive NAS with mirrored 1TB drives so only 1TB total. I want to move to a 4 drive unit with 4 - 2TB drives in Raid 5 eventually. But first step is one more 1TB drive for a 3 drive Raid 5 array (2TB total) and using a couple old 500GB drives striped to back most of that up until I can afford the set of (at least) 4 2TB drives (need something to back up the 6TB with! :lol: ).
                Jason

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                  • Sep 2009

About to buy 2x 2TB drives to put in my NAS, moving the 1TB drives from there into the tower. Going to have to break down one day and build a real NAS and not this LaCie contraption just because I need more space.
                  -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

This is the main reason why my HTPC is music only. ha ha ha
                    Only temporary downloads, that's it.
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

I use a Drobo, pretty much like a NAS. I've got three 1 TB drives in it, which gives 2 TB of storage space. So far, including my entire iTunes library, lossless audio copies, every document and file I own, complete computer backups and such, I only have a little over 1 TB of stuff stored there. If I get anywhere close to the limit, I'll add some more (and larger) drives to the Drobo, but right now I'm not anywhere close to needing that.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Hey Dan, do you think this would be adequate to run up to 20 drives?

I'm not sure how powerful it is. But I figure it should be good enough for a media storage server for a home setting.

Edit: Ok nevermind I think I may go a different route. I'm thinking something like this Adaptec

With a SAS expander or a SAS expander case. It's got a 1.2GHZ dual core raid on chip cpu as well, and seems to support just about every RAID type.
                        Last edited by Hdale85; 29 August 2010, 00:46 Sunday.

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

lol either one of those is going to do some major damage... hardware raid owns any of the software ones (which is all the sub $300 bsically).

I'd like both! either one will work with the port replication that you should have with your backplanes....
                          -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

For backing up, I have 2 SDLT tape backups off the adaptec LVD scsi card I have in the server. I can back up 5.8TB of space with the tapes I have on that. It takes a while, but I can do it. So I back up the most important stuff with that (Pictures, Music, Server state, and favorite movies only). The server itself only runs off of a Raid1 80GB set of Sata HDs (I think WD?)

I truthfully don't have 20TB of usuable space...I just took that picture when I first set it up and had them all as one volume. They are actually split into two 10TB arrays with a mirror set up between the two. That's where it took some time with these cards to make everything play nice and make sure it was reliable.

This way I have one controller backing itself up and the other controller ready to be a true backup once I get well 16 more drives and at least 16 bays/ports to attach to. Once I do that I can remove the mirror, wipe out one set of the arrays, add it into the 10TB giving me 20TB and mirror that to the other controller.

That's the plan at the moment, but most likely will change when I probably decide to go with a good raid controller (3ware, Adaptec, Highpoint)...then I'll use these two SI3124s as the backup to the 20TB solution.

You'd be suprised at how much space one can use up when it's available.... Hence why this only comes up when I know I'm going to use something off of it...I don't think I could afford the extra $30 or so a month to keep this running 24/7. Plus it only takes about 4 minutes to load up and can access it by PC and 15 minutes for EVERYTHING (media sharing to the PS3/xbox360 takes the longest) to be ready...so it's not bad.

Though I have to say, I'm doing it all with only a 350w psu in the habey (I think that's all it is maybe 250w) and a 500w psu in the server...so for the moment it's not bad...and basically doubling that power requirements for the amount of space and redundancy...not a huge power hog, considering some desktop PCs are using 1000w psus...
                            -Dan

Comment

• knguyen429
                              • Feb 2010

Time to revive an old thread with my 20tb freenas server I finished a few months ago.

6 Seagate LP 2tb drives connected to the motherboard and 8 Seagate LP 1.5tb drives attached to a Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8. They're setup as two raidz1 arrays using freenas 7s unofficial release 0.7.2.5255. Its been running 24/7 for ~3 months without any hiccups. My only complaint would be using the pci-x card in a pci slot, but that's my own fault for not reading the description clearly before ordering. Drives have ~18tb usable space and I'm about 70% full, I've been debating which route to go with next when I need to add more space.

Attached Files
                              - Kenneth Nguyen

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

20TB? Holy crap. And you say... "WHEN you need more space"?

Yikes.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• knguyen429
                                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                                  20TB? Holy crap. And you say... "WHEN you need more space"?

Yikes.
                                  Well, 22TB if you want to get technical :B . I've got quite a large bluray collection that sits in the closet. Only a few have been in an actual bluray player, most get ripped to mkv format as soon as I get home.
                                  - Kenneth Nguyen

Comment

• impala454
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2007

I just noticed WD released their new 3TB drive... time to upgrade? hehe
                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Wow, really? That means I can get 12 TB in my Drobo. Much more than I could need right now.
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Hey, here's a question--I've been hesitant to get bigger and bigger drives, thinking that they would also come with slower disk access times, and slow down my network file read/write/streaming operations. Is this true?
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2007

Not at all... just make sure to get the ones with lots of memory and that do NOT have the power saving "features". I've had a few of the WD caviar green drives and don't care for them much. The black ones on the other hand are pretty awesome. And I use their velociraptors for my main boot drive... those suckers are crazy fast.
                                          -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

3TB you say....

I need to get my 4 bay NAS before upgrading HD's... Running out of room
                                            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Well unfortunately the 3TB drives won't be cost effective for at least another 1-2 years.

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                Office Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

Just curious what are people doing with respect to cooling? Are these bays setup to properly cool that many drives, etc? I have a small 2 bay system but would like to really upgrade and do something more serious, but I am concerned about my current drive location. I have it on my desk at the moment, but how loud are these multi drive arrays?

Also what do you use for UPS in case of various power interruptions?
                                                Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• impala454
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2007

Well unfortunately the 3TB drives won't be cost effective for at least another 1-2 years.
                                                  How do you figure this?
                                                  -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Paul Wu
                                                    Just curious what are people doing with respect to cooling? Are these bays setup to properly cool that many drives, etc? I have a small 2 bay system but would like to really upgrade and do something more serious, but I am concerned about my current drive location. I have it on my desk at the moment, but how loud are these multi drive arrays?

My 2 drive Nas has it's own quiet fan and really doesn't produce much heat or noise. If you get quiet drives there really shouldn't be a noise issue IMO.
                                                    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

As mentioned, Paul, I use a Drobo. Currently, I only have 3 drives in it (1TB each) and I use it with its USB-to-Ethernet network box. It's got its own cooling fan inside the main Drobo, which does whir and such as it operates. I don't think it's too bad, but I also have it located in my house's central equipment room with all networking and A/V equipment, so I don't hear it continually operate. I don't have a UPS on it (although that's an idea) but I'm not worried, as it has some crazy file backup protection built into it.
                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2003

And really if noise is an issue you can literally shove a NAS anywhere as long as you have/can run power and Cat5 going to it.
                                                        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by impala454
                                                          How do you figure this?

Well It'll be like 200 bucks? Maybe more? I mean if you are limited to 4 drives or so then it's a good option. I have 20 spaces to fill so using those drives I'd get more density for sure, but the cost would be quite a bit higher. Generally the 100 dollar price point is where I buy at when I upgrade just because I can't afford to buy 20 3TB drives. I could buy 10 which would yield me 30TB's and cost ~2000 bucks, but the price of a 2TB drive is 99 bucks. So you're getting 1 extra TB for twice the price. For 2,000 I could buy 20 2TB drives and have 40TB's of course my entire case would be utilized but I'd be fine with 40TB's for some time.

Also after the fiasco with the 1.5TB drives and raid I like to hold off on brand new stuff a few months to see if any problems arise. A lot of people had issues using the 1.5TB drives in a raid setup.

This is the only price I see for the 3TB drive....so it's 3 times more for 1 extra TB. Would make 10 drives 3k bucks.....pretty pricey.

Comment

• impala454
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2007

The price point set by Western Digital's press release was $239 for the 3TB and $189 for the 2.5TB. Yeah price per amount of space matters but so does the number of drives you have to buy or can support. How much did all those raid cards cost you?
                                                            -Chuck

Comment

• knguyen429
                                                              • Feb 2010

Ditto....price per gb is still high for 3tb drives. 2tb drives just make more sense at the moment.

Originally posted by Paul Wu

I use a APC SmartUPS 1000w for power interruptions. I have freenas shut down the server after 5 minutes of powerloss.

I have everything setup in a ghetto case that I put together. There's 4 120mm fans blowing directly on the drives, 2 120mm and 2 80mm exhaust fans. They idle around 30degrees celcius and around 39-41 degrees under load.
                                                              - Kenneth Nguyen

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

Right now I'm running 6 drives, I plan to do a big upgrade soon as I am running low on space. But I'm going to add a SAS card with a SAS expander....so it won't be too terribly expensive

Comment

• knguyen429
                                                                  • Feb 2010

Right now I'm running 6 drives, I plan to do a big upgrade soon as I am running low on space. But I'm going to add a SAS card with a SAS expander....so it won't be too terribly expensive
                                                                  I looked into that, but where I'm located at the moment, SAS expanders are hard to come by and shipping is just a pain in the *ss here.

How much room are you looking to add? Have you seen the Backblaze Pods? I wonder when I'll hit the 45 hdd mark :B

To get the latest updates and information on ALL of the Storage Pod versions: Click Here. When we started Backblaze, our goal was to provide unlimited
                                                                  - Kenneth Nguyen

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Hah I have a Norco 4020. So it has 20 hot swap spaces. I doubt I'll ever need more then that but who knows?

Comment

• aud19
                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2003

Geez I'd be happy right now with 4 2TB drives in a Raid 5 for 6TB total space :lol:
                                                                      Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        • Nov 2004

Now I want to upgrade...since my old P4 isn't 64-bit... I need to upgrade, need a new MB/Memory/CPU/Video/PSU. I want to upgrade to Server 2008 R2 so I can use Direct Access.

So now the looking around begins...I'm thinking I can get all that for about $400. Hopefully, even if it is AMD. Then I can also create multiple virtual servers and plan it out well. hee hee.

Course I need more 2TB drives also. lmao.
                                                                        -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 16075

400 for that should be easy really. Heck with AMD could get quad core, maybe even the new 6 core?

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                            Moderator
                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                            • 2901

You read my mind. Thinking quad, may go 6 core.

Got the MSI MB I want picked out and the PSU and Memory along with Video Card.
                                                                            -Dan

Comment

• aud19
                                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 16706

#39
                                                                              I've got one of the 6-core units in my 3D Studio machine here at work...pretty nice :T
                                                                              Jason

Comment

• knguyen429
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Feb 2010
                                                                                • 37

#40
                                                                                go for the 6
                                                                                - Kenneth Nguyen

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                  • Nov 2004
                                                                                  • 2901

#41
                                                                                  I might do that just for the VMs I'll be using I want to seperate a few things and create some nice VMs to play with and can easily make changes to and if I screw things up, I just reload them.

I changed the board over to ASUS instead, since I like their boards. Costs a little bit more, but it'll be worth it in the end I think.

Though I was thinking the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz CPU as that would be enough.
                                                                                  -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 16075

#42
                                                                                    I don't know lately I've been having issues with the Asus boards. At least the last 2 boards which the last one was purchased 2 years ago. Seems to happen once in a while with all MFG's though.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 16706

#43
                                                                                      I've been using Asus for years now and haven't ever had a problem so...
                                                                                      Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                        • Nov 2004
                                                                                        • 2901

#44
                                                                                        I had one Asus (ROG board) go bad on me, but it was partially my fault too, I saw that one of the CPU pins was slightly bent when I got it, I straightened it and it worked for a year, then started flaking out. I just bought another open box one and it's ran fine so far.

Though once in a great while it'll not post (just power it off and back on and it works).

All in all though I like all the features you get with the ASUS board. Plus it got good reviews (except for the people that got dead boards), so I'll go with it for the extra $20. Plus they have the drivers that are all set for Win7 64bit and also claim they will work with 2008 R2.
                                                                                        -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 16075

#45
                                                                                          Yeah like I said it seems like every MFG eventually has a bad batch. I've had my current board for a year and a half and just started having issues. My brother in law has the same identical board and has been having the exact same issues for about 6 months now.

But the same thing happened with MSI a while back, and I loved their boards. I generally go with Gigabyte, Asus, or MSI though. I really like the power setups and high quality components on a lot of the latest Gigabyte boards.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"