X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

M2Tech Hiface USB interface

I'm interested if anyone here is using one of these, and what they think of it. The pops and clicks have apparently been solved with the latest drivers, but I'm still not sure how much of an improvement I'll notice over a Mac Mini's optical output. Any comments greatly appreciated
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100
  • numberoneoppa
    • Sep 2009

Optical produces a digital (binary) signal. A '1' is a '1' and a '0' is a '0'. There is no difference in the output of that device and the one built into your Mac Mini if both are in working order.
    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I agree totally, but some people get very passionate about the amount of jitter over a 2 foot cable messing those noughts and ones up to the point where you hear it :E :E I'm not convinced, hence my question. Thanks for the reality check :B
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• numberoneoppa
        • Sep 2009

Transfer protocols make sure that the signal arrives intact, safe and sound.
        -Josh

Comment

• chrispy35
          • Feb 2004

SPDIF is quite immune to amplitude errors (i.e. a bit flip) and you would definitely hear any if they did occur.

Jitter is _not_ bit flips, it is variations in timing from the ideal. Some SPDIF driver implementations produce more jitter than others.

I'm not saying that they will sound different (I have heard neither), I just want to dispell the idea that data errors are the only possible result of jitter on the interface.

AES papers have shown that jitter is audible once it reaches a certain (fairly low) level.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
            • Sep 2009

I don't really understand Jitter very well, myself, but I would have to say it's mostly superstition.
            -Josh

Comment

• Space
              • Aug 2009

My understanding is that even the worst case of jitter that you could find in a $50 Wal-Mart DVD player will still be below the resolution of the medium, so there's no way it could factor into the sound quality. Mostly the discussion of jitter is designed to make audiophiles feel jittery, so they will throw money at needless technology to correct imaginary technical problems.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Space
                My understanding is that even the worst case of jitter that you could find in a $50 Wal-Mart DVD player will still be below the resolution of the medium, so there's no way it could factor into the sound quality. Mostly the discussion of jitter is designed to make audiophiles feel jittery, so they will throw money at needless technology to correct imaginary technical problems.
                Sounds likely.
                -Josh

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"