X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Ripping DVD's to a Server

Trying to figure out the best way to rip DVD's to my server for viewing on my HTPC.

I'm thinking I'd like to keep them in .vob format for quality/backup purposes. So do I just rip them using DVD Shrink or equivalent and that's it? What system are you guys using?

Anybody know a way to add meta-data/cover pictures etc so you could view say movie synopses or at least organize/sort movies by genre etc?

Also I'd LOVE if you could (once you've ripped all your movies) create a list of all the movies you own etc. Be great for insurance purposes etc.
    Jason
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Is it legal to rip DVDs in Canada? I'm not condemning, just an honest question. DMCA still prohibits this in the US for copyrighted material.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I think it currently is legal but the laws are supposed to be changing...? Either way I don't really care, not really concerned about them coming after me for ripping copies of movies I've purchased for my own use and have zero plans to upload or otherwise pirate for profit.
      Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

What are you going to use on your HTPC? You could rip them to .iso's if the front end you're using supports it. Nearly all the linux apps like XBMC, MythTV and so on support playback of .iso files. I think Windows MCE can be made to play them and Media Portal will play them as well. I would just use DVD Shrink (free ware) and rip them to .iso's personally. With DVD Shrink you can also remove the menu's and ads and what not or you can keep them as is if you want to keep the menu's. So the .iso format is nice if you want to keep the menu's but I imagine you don't care about the menu.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Nope, actually prefer them without :lol:
          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well either way you can remove everything and just leave the movie, if you want to keep them all to a certain size you can even compress the movie a bit or just leave it uncompressed. Also can select just single audio streams or keep them all. It's probably the best program I've ever found for ripping DVD's. I think it allows you to rip them as VOB's as well but I kind of like the .iso package as it's a bit more tidy.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

What's the benefits of iso over just vob files? I didn't know you could output an iso file from DVD Shrink (which I agree, works great). Any time I've used it it creates the appropriate VideoTS folder/.vob files and burns right through Nero.

I plan on using the iMedian software that comes with the touchscreen. Here's a link to the user guide:

Supported Formats

Music :
              .mp3/.ogg/.wma/.wav/.aac/.ac3/.ape/.flac/.m4a/.mid/.mka/.mp2/.mp/.mpc/.ape/.ofr/.wv
              /.tta/.ac3/.dts/.cda/.ra/.m3u/.pls

Videos :
              .avi/.asf/.wmv/.mpeg/.mpg/.m1v/.mp2/.dat/.mp4/.ogm/.mov/.rm/.rmvb/..avs/.flv/.mkv/.
              3gp/.ogm/.ifo/.vob/.ts/.tp

Pictures :
              .bmp/.gif/.jpg/.png
              Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Hmm not sure if you can make iMedian do .iso's but it may be possible. I like doing iso files just cause you have one file for each movie. Not that the other way is horrible either although I've found some players don't handle the playback of multiple VOB's all that well. Although it depends on how iMedia handles the VOB files. I know with Windows MCE I could set it up to see the movie folder which I'd have Movie folder name then inside that the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders and it would read it just as if it were a disc. Not sure if iMedia can do it this way probably have to look through their forums. In windows with Media Portal you have to install daemon tools and then when you click a movie .iso file media portal will auto mount it and start playing it.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I think I'll keep it in standard AV-TS/.vob format anyway. Seems iMedian software plays nice with them according to their forums and it seems like the most straight forward/best approach.

Going to make a post their forum on the metadata issue and see what they say.
                  Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Yeah I haven't messed with iMedian much...my case did come with it but just didn't appeal to me much over what I was using previously. Would love to know what you think of it after you get it all working properly though.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

You using WMCE or something Linux based? I'd probably use WMCE but it doesn't directly support flac and from what I've seen of the iMEDIAN software I like the look of it so we'll see.
                      Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Well I did use MCE a while back and then I started using Media Portal in windows. Then I started trying to get XBMC to work properly in windows and that didn't work out so now I'm running XBMC via Linux and enjoying it very much. I've heard there is a way to get MCE to support FLAC but not sure? Like I said I have not messed with iMedian a whole lot, just a little when I first got my case which has the 4.3" LCD on the front.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Yeah you CAN get MCE to support flac but I prefer to go the direct route on things like that. Rather not have to hack something together to get it to work when there's a fully capable, ready-made solution right in front of me.
                          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I agree!

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Well I picked up all the internals last night. Just waiting for the case to arrive

4GB DDR2-1066 SDRAM 2x 2GB, Corsair Dominator Series

Asus M4N78 PRO Motherboard

AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X2 545 Black Edition / 3.0GHz, AM3

Thermaltake PurePower (500W, 12cm fan) Power Supply

Two WD 1Tb Green drives for my NAS
                              Jason

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

I really like using plain old media sharing over the XBox 360. It will play divx/xvid/mpg4/etc. DVD Decrypter is the app I use most. It's free, and works great with lots of options. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to repackage the rips as WMV files so the 360 will easily read all the metadata. I have a ton of TV shows ripped from DVD as xvid, but would like to redo them without extra compression since I have more space now.
                                -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Very cool, Jason, keep us advised on how it goes!
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Still need to find a DVD meta data solution...
                                    Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

I've never done Meta-Data with DVD's. I use a program to inject my mkv files with meta data though. But it doesn't offer anything for DVD's.

Comment

• impala454
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                        I've never done Meta-Data with DVD's. I use a program to inject my mkv files with meta data though. But it doesn't offer anything for DVD's.
                                        Which program?
                                        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

It's called Ember Media Manager, its on the XBMC forums. I use another one that's a big buggy but works ok for TV shows called Media Info Plus. They scrape for the synopsis, cover art, and all sorts of stuff and also injects meta data info into the files like 1080p or 720p, DTS, and such that XBMC uses to display logo's in the program.

See the logo's for xVid, the studio, and such. They will also throw in an H.264 logo and 5.1 and all sorts of things depending on what the video file has.

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Wonder if that would work for ripped DVD's...?
                                            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Well I know it can look up the synopsis and album art and what not for .iso's but it can't inject meta-data into them.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"