X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Slim PS3 announced

The new smaller, thinner, cheaper PS3 has just been announced. From September, for 300 bucks/euros.

Hardly a surprise, but Sony got on stage today at GamesCom and confirmed what we've all known deep down in our hearts: the new, slimmer PS3 is really real. It'll be out in the first week of September (September 1 in North America and Europe, September 3 for Japan), and will retail for $300 (or 300 Euro, or 29,980 Yen). It's smaller and lighter, has a 120GB HDD, and packs "all the same features" of the regular PS3 while consuming 34 percent less power and taking up 32 percent less space. Existing PS3 SKUs have their prices dropped a hundie apiece tomorrow in anticipation, so be sure to grab a space heater while you've still got a shot -- though we're not sure why you'd pay $300 for an 80GB PS3 when you can wait a couple weeks and get 120GB in a cuter package. A couple pics of the unveil are after the break. The new 3.0 firmware will be released concurrently with the PS3 slim, which should provide a breath of fresh air for existing machines. Other new features of the PS3 slim include BRAVIA Sync, which allows you to control the PS3 XMB over HDMI through your BRAVIA TV remote, and System Standby to shut off the PS3 when the BRAVIA TV is off. Sony also claims this new machine will run more quietly than existing PS3 systems, which is good news for people who like to watch movies or have conversations in the general vicinity of their game console. There's also a Vertical Stand, which will retail for $24. Not so awesome is Sony's removal of the Install Other OS feature... farewell, Linux. We hardly knew thee. Update: We've got press shots! Check 'em all in the gallery below, and be sure to pore over that to-scale comparo pic up top. There's one from above as well, which reveals that the new model is actual "deeper" than the PS3 fat. Update 2: Video! Our main man Jack Tretton talks up and shows off his spanking new slim PS3 after the break. We've also got a full rundown of the specs for your perusal, and added some new information above.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Very interesting, thanks for posting! It also says there that Sony will be releasing firmware 3.0 at the same time, which should be good for all us PS3 owners. Very cool.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Hmm, supposed to run cooler and quieter. My biggest complaint of the PS3 as a BD player was noise. I like the fact that its not glossy anymore as well. Also comes with a 120gb hard drive now.

Comment

• kmcheng
        • Jan 2008

I also do not like the noise coming from the PS3. Very distracting when watching a relatively quiet movie.

Is it just me or do other people also think the new slim design actually looks uglier than the original?

Also, are there only 2 USB ports available on the current and new versions of the PS3? Mine is an older batch and it has 4 USB ports. They are very handy when I am playing Guitar Hero.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Yes 2 USB ports, and yes it's not as flashy but I prefer it that way because the gloss would always scratch and scuff real easy I hated it.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I like the new design more. Slim, sleek... not as bulky. I really don't like the gloss top of the PS3. Looks nice, but sooooooo hard to keep scratch free. Anything scratches it.

One thing... where are the card readers? From the looks of it, the top is one piece... so there are no flip-like sections.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Probably ditched the card reader.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Hell they ditched the card readers when they ditched SACD, PS2 support, and the other USB ports.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kmcheng
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Kevin D
                  Hell they ditched the card readers when they ditched SACD, PS2 support, and the other USB ports.

Kevin D.
                  Is the PS3 the only product to come up with newer versions that are dumbed-down from its original version? Card readers, SACD, PS2 support, USB ports all seem like pretty significant features to me.

Well, I used to tell people just get a PS3 if they want a blu-ray player. After I got the Oppo I am not so sure anymore.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by kmcheng
                    Is the PS3 the only product to come up with newer versions that are dumbed-down from its original version?
                    ha ha.. that's funny (and unfortunately true)

What version had SACD support??? I didn't even know any version had SACD support.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

The original 60gig version and the 80 gig version before the current 80 gig version. I believe if there's 4 USB ports it has SACD support.

Kevin D.

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Wow... I have the original 60GB version. I didn't even know. I'm gonna have to try that out (don't have any SACDs though. ha ha).

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Yeah, my 80 GB with 4 USB ports plays SACD.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

My euro 60gb model does too. But bear in mind that you will need to output via analogue for SACD stereo and HDMI for SACD multi channel. Optical won't work.

I like the size of the new player and while the noise from my existing player does not bother me too much - as in I've not have the urge to replace with a dedicated BDP - I'd consider it if it was not lacking in those few departments.

I reckon they've gone out of their way to make it look more 'consumer' and less console. It's nothing special design wise but it does not offend me.
                            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• krips
                              • Sep 2007

It doesn't look significanly smaller, but if it runs cooler and quieter that's a big plus. I might be looking to sell mine and get a new slim one, but I'd miss the option to try out a sacd sometime.
                              Sharp LC-42D64U
                              TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• audioqueso
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Alloroc
                                My euro 60gb model does too. But bear in mind that you will need to output via analogue for SACD stereo and HDMI for SACD multi channel. Optical won't work.
                                Wow... that's retarded. They can output the surrounds over HDMI... why didn't they just do the other two channels as well.

Originally posted by Alloroc
                                I reckon they've gone out of their way to make it look more 'consumer' and less console. It's nothing special design wise but it does not offend me.
                                Yeah, it almost looks like they were influenced by the Apple TV to have a small, slim unit. I like it though.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

The PS3 does not have multi channel analog outputs. That's why you can't do the other channels. Personally I'd get an Oppo player if I were worried about BD playback. The PS3 does a nice job though I will agree and if the new unit is indeed much quieter (like my newer 360) then it certainly is still an option but if you don't play many games I think the Oppo is the better deal and gives you much more flexibility.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2005

Nah, I reckon I missled. You can get 2 channel via HDMI too - just not multi over analogue. I think. Never tried but read somewhere...
                                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Yes, I know they don't have multi analog outputs. What I'm questioning is why send SACD over 2ch analog and the rest over HDMI instead of just sending everything over HDMI? HDMI allows it.
                                      I am currently only using an HDMI connect from my PS3 to my system. So if I wanted to listen to a SACD disk, I would have to connect my 2ch analog cable as well???

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

I think he meant if you didn't have HDMI you were limited to 2ch only. With HDMI you can have both.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"