X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abe1877
    • Mar 2006

general questions about universal remotes

hello all,

I am in the market for a universal remote and i like the phillips pronto line of remotes. before i buy any remote i was wondering if certain things are possible:

i obviously want to have one button control like "watch tv", etc, but is it possible to change settings on equipment? For example, I like to listen to the tv through my rotel receiver, but I also like to simply listen through the tv, but this requires me to change the audio setting on my scientific Atlanta hddvr (only if I want to listen in digital format through the receiver). So, are there remote codes to change from/to Dolby digital and hdmi on the dvr (for example)? Or do I have program in the motions that I would normally do on the remote for the dvr (i.e., hit menu twice, then down arrow, then right arrow and then up or down depending on if I want hdmi or dolby digital)? I also would like to be able to change audio settings on my ps3. I’ve seen the Bluetooth to IR converters for sale. Do some allow this?

I may be making this difficult….im open to suggestions if there are easier ways to allow this type of one button control.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

What you're hunting for are called discrete codes. It's very rare for any manufacturer to have a discrete code like you are looking for though. Mostly it's separate power on/power off codes rather the power toggle that might come on the remote. Tv's usually have separate codes to go right to a certain input, rather then one 'input' button that scrolls through them all.

Anything beyond that would require you to program in the motions you normally have to do.

The bluetooth to IR pieces work great and they all have their pluses and minuses. Remotecentral.com just did a review of all available ones.

I personally love the Pronto line, but keep in mind they are not the easiest to program by far.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

And I happen to be a fan of the URC line. Kevin's right on, just read what he said. Depending on your equipment, you may or may not have codes available to do what you want from a remote control.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"