X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmowis
    • Oct 2006

HTPC Hi Def Audio

I'm in the process of building an HTPC for my new Home Theater, but I've hit 'Builder's Block'.

Basically, I'm waiting for this:
    Auzentech Xtension DIN Q2 2008 ;x(

As far as I can tell, this daughterboard will combine HD audio with the video from your video card onto the same HDMI cable.

Other than this component, I know of no other way to digitally export HiDef audio (specifically, the TrueHD and DTS-HD formats)from an HTPC to a receiver or prepro.

As stereo 1/8" outputs do not appeal to me, I am not willing to use my PC's analog outs as a permanent solution. I have high hopes of using HDMI from my HTPC to an Integra DTC-9.8 (yet to be purchased) and from there to my set of amps.

Anyway, I've been waiting for somebody to release something like this - looks like Auzentech will be the first to do it. Just thought I'd let the folks around here know about it.

Brad
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

So it won't do analog decoding of DTS-HD and TrueHD? I would be fine with an analog output.... If I do an HDMI solution then I have to get an HDMI 1.3a receiver. I wonder if it will do the lossless codecs?

Comment

• bmowis
      • Oct 2006

As far as I know, Auzentech already has X-Fi sound cards that decode the high def audio formats (for analog output), so existing cards are already available for that, I think.

...I'm no too keen on the idea of 2 channels on the same 1/8" jack. Won't there be some 'bleeding' of sorts between channels?

Brad

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I haven't had any issues of the sorts.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

The X-Fi Prelude actually does not do DTS-HD True HD or DD+.

Comment

• Luke G
            • Jan 2008

Damn that is a nice card.

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

[QUOTE=bmowis]...I'm no too keen on the idea of 2 channels on the same 1/8" jack. Won't there be some 'bleeding' of sorts between channels?/QUOTE]

No, none that you will be able to hear.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I make a "bitchen" 1/8" audio cable to two channel RCA... It's not in the primary products, but I have made several over time.

Doug, the "Catman"
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"