• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

My first HTPC

Hi all,

For quite a while now I've being toying with the idea of building an HTPC. My main PC - a 2 year old Dell XPS gaming machine, while a fantastic PC for games is just too bloody noisy to use it in this function.

So, I came across a case that has finally inspired me into action. Check it out.

I haven't decided on all components yet but I have a fair idea. My key criteria is that it will be quite fast - not gamer quick, mind you - and silent. Except for when it's hooked up to my RSX-1055 that is it needs to sound good then! I reckon I'll use the Auzentech X-Meridian sound card for audio output - should be decent. I'll go for a mid range graphics card with HDCP for proper high def output.

So, more to come but you got to admit, that's one hell of a case!

V.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Interesting ergonomics. The screen must be in the lowered position to access any of the front ports, or the DVD mechanism. That greatly increases the potential for the screen being damaged by a dropped disc or the connector on the end of a cord.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Cool looking case! How much$$? 8O
      Jason

Comment

• Vinny
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by aud19
        Cool looking case! How much$$? 8O
        When you check where to buy on its website there's only one seller in the states and asks for $999
        It feels like a microwave computer :lol:
        Pioneer KRP-500M
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Parasound 5125
        Oppo BDP-83
        Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
        SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I like the case, and the manufacturer makes some other cases that I want to build with. But with this one, it looks like you're limited to one disc drive.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Yeah, there are some limitations. I can live with one drive - perhaps a Panny or a Sony Bluray burner would be nice!

But on the flip side it can accomodate up to 10 hdds. That's an awful lot of space! Rip your DVDs as ISOs and play 'em.

The screen is a touch screen so it will be more robust and I can't really imagine a dropped disk will do much damage - a case might though. Dangling cables may be a bit of a nuisance though.

In fairness though, it has to be said that the catchpenny with this case is its looks and the huge touchscreen. It would look great in my rack!

I reckon I'd have to connect up a webcam to capture the looks on all my buddies faced when they see it.

It's about €800 over here, btw.

V
            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"