X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

HTPC in the making

Well, I ordered this today,as you may have seen in the cool HTPC case thread.

So, what am I, person without progressive scan, HDTV, going to do with an HTPC? Well, I haven't a clue, lol. But when a geek like me or perhaps you, has a spare Mother board sitting around, he doesn't generally just let it sit in a box. IE, he builds something with it! I considered converting my BMW to run on it, but with my luck with this board so far, I didn't think that to be to prodent. lol.

So Bing, here's Abit's second chance. He gets a new hard drive, a bitchin new case, and a new DVD Rom drive to wear. He has his chance in the spotlight. Time will tell what he can do

Still looking at video cards. IF I can get my Ge-force 3 to work properly in my duelly, then I may opt for a Radeon 8500. The card I am told may yield the best picture for DVD. I just downloadedthe 12.41 drivers to see if that helps.

Add an NIC, hope to be able to video capture, maybe even record to disc from directv. I will need guidance here folks!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hey Lex, totally cool!

If I hadn't just sunk $2000 into my Z28 the last month, I'd be springing for one of those, too, just on general principles.

Everyone is going to have some different confusing advice to give you, so I might as well get mine in first so you'll forget it faster.

First, the hardware overlay gamma in the 8500 is broken. At leaast, that's the general confusion, because try as ATI does to upgrade and fix the drivers, they haven't been able to get them to work right.

My advice? Save yourself some serious bucks and get a Radeon 7500. They have excellent DVD playback, 10 bit DAC's, and provide the sweetest picture I've seen so far from a PC.

Now, there may be other options to consider for the future. The so called GeForce 4 MX (which is really a GeForce 3 NV17 Mobile chip in desktop clothing) has the new VPE (visual processing engine) which has a number of tweaks for MPEG decoding. Only one problem... no one has implemented software support for it yet. When that does occur, its peformance may rival a Radeon 7200 or 7500.

Sound cards. You'll need to research that depending on which software player you want to use, the big issue being SPDIF pass through. One of the more reliable boards I've tried across many configurations is the Philips Acoustic Edge; but for "high end", you may want to consider the Audiophile 24/96. The Philips can do full 5.1 decoding on it's own, as can an Extigy.

Anyway, have fun!

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Thanks for the advice Jon! Well, I am not certain on that vid card number,maybe it wasn't the 8500, maybe the 7500. I will check and confirm that before ordering anything.

Tonight, I tried to get my Asus to cooperate in my A7M266-D dual machine. I had some success. Got kicked out of 3D Mark the first try, after tweaking my 8200 G3, but then the next time, I did make it through the complete test with a score of 2737. I have no idea how that is.

If I can get this thing stablized in the system, then the Radion becomes a viable HTPC option, and I admit, I like the idea of saving big bucks. My original plan was to go G4 for the dual, and move the G3 over to the HTPC.

Does the 7500 have video in?

As to sound, right now, it looks like I will use my Turtle Beach card, that is supposed to be 5.1,though the jury isstill out on that, as I know nothing about PC Audio really. I am trying to build this on a very limited financial outlay initially. Obviously, the case was a rather major item at 439 delivered. I know, I didn't need 2 day delivery, but since they are in CA, would have been next week probably without it.

So, I go tthe case, the Abit mother board, CPU fan, power supply, case, DVD Rom. All I need is an HD,memory,vid card,and maybe a network card since my 3 are all in machines. I suppose I could rob my daughter's machine,since she isn't on the net. But one never knows. Sometimes, I may need to put that system on Lexnet.

Keep those ideas coming! Whatsoftware players, etc....

Dang, guess I will need an IR keyboard, huh? Ideas?

Oh yeah,what OS is best? W98, or W2K? How much memory do I need?

Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Nice Lex!

Well certainly you like to jump with hands and feet 8O

I'm not sure of the problem your having with your GF3 and Dual. I have read there is a compatibility problem.

You have the HTPC master on it so i'll just sit back and learn something here.

However I would caution use of the GF4 MX as it has disabled vertex and pixel shaders (which may not be a big deal for a HTPC anyway) for a hot rod PC. Its basically a rebaged GF2 GTS. If your going to get a GF2 anyway (in the GF4 MX), you may want to look at the Visionteck Xtasy Everything. It is based on the GF2 GTS and has all the features of TV tuner, time shift, Program guide...etc.

Have a look

I don't know a lot about this stuff, but Jon will give it the Yah or Nah.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Lest we flood Lex with too many "helpful" suggestions, maybe Lex should tell us what his priorities and tasks are for this machine- that will dictate ranking the performance issues.

Obviously, the more things you want the system to do fairly well, the more compromised more aspects will be. Unfortunately, there isn't the "perfect" video or sound card for all applications- i.e., DVD playback and gaming.

The standard 7500 doesn't have video in. The AIW cards do, but you might be better off using Dscaler and one of the inexpensive video capture cards it supports.

Prioiritize, prioritize, prioritize.

My machines tend to be specialized on a few tasks, not jack of all trades.

My Audio Test PC runs WIN98, because of software compatibility with CLIOWIN and SoundEasy 3.3; and uses the Cinemaster 4 player, with a Hercules Game Theater. It's not powered up that often, and it's a "secondary" HTPC (well, at my home, it's now the primary, since the primary is at Yvonne's). Video card is Radeon DDR 64 MB.

My "primary" HTPC runs Windows XP. It used to use WIN2K. Video card is also a DDR 64MB Radeon (not 8500), sound board used to be MAudio 24/96; because of driver issues, it's now an Acoustic Edge. Player is ATI 5.0 and Power DVD XP (4) (better on video source stuff)

My "gaming/HTPC" in bedroom runs a GeForce 3, sound via an SB Platinum 5.1, DVD software is Power DVD XP (4). It's still running 98SE, for maximum game compatibility- XP is almost, but not quite there.

I'm nothing if not an equal opportunity try it out kind of guy....

All systems are Athlon based. ('Natch)

My laptop is sort of HTPC capable, it runs Power DVD, and a built in VIA sound chip set, though I'm thinking of getting an Extigy for it.

-Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

My primary concerns for this machine in order of importance are:

1. TV input accept input from TiVo would be ideal, for recording shows using included software. That way I get both satellite and cable reception for the HTPC.
            2. TV output (show recordings)
            3. DVD playback.
            4. maybe a game or two, but not to likely, since I have the Xbox for that.

Since I don't have progressive scan display capability, except on computer, DVD playback isn't that big an issue yet. Maybe someday though, if I ever upgrade my RPTV, it will become more important.

Right now, I would say backing up my TiVo is as important as anything. You know, pop some shows down there from TiVo to free up space on the small TiVo drive, or straight recording bypassing TiVo.

Minimize cost of vid card, maximize features. Priority one. Setup for great DVD playback down the road. Take care of TV/video input now.

Lex
            Doug

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Does it not look like this will do all I Want to do Or does it lack a card to display back to TV anything except DVD? :?: Confused

"Experience powerful TV, video capture & editing, and 2D/3D graphics performance with the ALL-IN-WONDERĀ® RADEONā„¢ 7500

Overview
              Powerful all-in-one 3D, TV and video for your PC
              Powered by the RADEONā„¢ 7500 GPU
              64MB DDR memory
              Stereo TV-tuner
              TV-ON-DEMANDā„¢ Time shifting
              Integrated Interactive Program Guide1
              Easily capture and edit MPEG-2 video into your own creations
              Wireless radio-frequency remote control
              DVD video playback
              Features
              GET AWESOME TV FEATURES ON YOUR PC

TV-ON-DEMANDā„¢
              Pause live TV or record live broadcasts and watch them later
              Get instant replays of favorite programs
              Click through the translucent live TV window to access your desktop ā€“ no more moving the TV window to get to your work!
              Use the integrated Gemstar GUIDE Plus+ā„¢ Interactive Program Guide1 to view and search TV listings by category, actor/performer, or date. Schedule and record programs at the click of a mouse - all the benefits of a Personal Video Recorder without the monthly fees
              Amazing TV features including:
              TV Magazine1 - images and text from TV programs allowing you to read and archive TV programs
              Hot Words1 - real-time notification when selected words are detected in programming
              Zoom & pan ā€“ zoom in on the action on-screen and choose your own close-ups
              Intelligent Teletext on your PC2

1Available in North America only. 2Available in Europe only.

EXPERIENCE HOME THEATER WITH DVD AND DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT ON A PC
              Industry-leading DVD playback with AC-3 Digital Audio* output to enable DolbyĀ® Digital 5.1 surround sound
              ATIā€™s VIDEO IMMERSIONā„¢ technology allows for adaptive de-interlacing for excellent quality motion video and text
              *Actual DolbyĀ® 5.1 AC-3 decoding is done by the external AC-3 decoder and is not included.

RADIO-FREQUENCY REMOTE CONTROL
              Control the TV, video, DVD and gaming features of the ALL-IN-WONDERĀ® RADEONā„¢ 7500 from another room in the house using ATIā€™s remote control*
              No need to point the remote control at the receiver ā€“ connect your PC to your TV and watch DVDs, search channels, or record TV shows from your couch
              *Available USB port required

EASILY EDIT VIDEO INTO YOUR OWN CREATIONS
              Capture still images and analog video in MPEG-2 format at resolutions up to 720x480 and 30 frames-per-second
              Powerful video editing software allows you to add effects, transitions, sounds, and more to video footage
              Create your own personal productions to share with family and friends
              DUAL DISPLAY TECHNOLOGY
              Connect to a TV and a monitor (VGA or DVI) simultaneously
              HYDRAVISIONā„¢ software enables you to display information on a TV and monitor at the same time
              POWERFUL 2D AND 3D PERFORMANCE