X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CPALIU
    • Jun 2006

CPU & video card to run 1080p

I just recently downloaded some 1080p videos from the apple.com website. When I tried to run them on my PC, I found the frame rate to be unacceptable, however I could run 720P just fine. In terms of a CPU and video card what should I be looking at to run them smoothly? I've been thinking about using my PC as a HTPC but if it can't run 1080p then I may need to reconsider.

Also on a side not, my sound card (sound blaster audigy 2 w/ external drive) has a opticla in and out. Would I be able to pass the audio signal to my receiver (rotel 1057) and have the rotel do all the processing?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

That depends on whether it's something CPU intensive like WMV format that requires more processing power than say Mpeg2.

Otherwise, anything above a AMD 64 3000+ (or equivelant Intel garbage : ) plus a decent quality 128MB (or more) video card should be plenty. I'm a fan off the Asus/Nvidia 6600TD 256MB card with fanless heatsink myself It's relatively inexpensive (just over $100 CA), is silent and performs quite well, particularly with video using Nvidia's "PureVideo" and does well with all but the most intensive 3D games compared to higher end $400 and up cards. For CPU's I'd probably go with the AMD 3700+ and it's 1MB L2 Cache at todays price points and wait for the dual CPU chips to come down in price.

Also on a side not, my sound card (sound blaster audigy 2 w/ external drive) has a opticla in and out. Would I be able to pass the audio signal to my receiver (rotel 1057) and have the rotel do all the processing?
    Yup :yesnod:
    Jason

Comment

• CPALIU
      • Jun 2006

I'm not sure about the AMD line, but i'm currently using a 2 yr old Dell computer which has a P4 530 (prescott line @ 3.0ghz) on an ATI x800 w/ I believe 128 megs of ram. I downloaded some of the .mov files from apples site and my computer definitely can't run the 1080p, but it runs the 720P fairly well. On the other hand I downloaded some WMV files from microsofts site and I can run those 1080p files just fine.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"