X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saggas
    • Mar 2006

upgrading soundcard

hey, ive got a computer dedicated to music (like everyone else in the world basically) :P
    but its recently gone through a bit of a transformation, all it needs now is a new case (im working on it) and an upgraded soundcard.
    currently im using one of the original soundblaster audigy's for playing mp3 files.
    Ive read that USB DAC's are the way to go, (less 'noise')
    any recommendations? im on a students budget :P

also has anyone tried mounting a USB DAC inside their computer case?
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

Ive read that USB DAC's are the way to go, (less 'noise')
    any recommendations? im on a students budget

also has anyone tried mounting a USB DAC inside their computer case?
    A big reason for the decreased noise is the fact that they're removed from the hostile RF environment that is the inside of a computer case. I added an M-Audio MobilePre USB to my PC, replacing the original Soundblaster clone, and it sounds quite a bit better as my default audio device. At $150, this might be more than you need, although still very simple and inexpensive as these devices go. I also use for audio testing/measurements and multitrack recording, in addition to its normal soundcard duty. It's bus-powered, so you don't need to plug it in.

Comment

• Saggas
      • Mar 2006

ahh o.k. I thought there would be less noise simply because its not a directly plugged into a board.
      $150 seems reasonable enough for what I need, but apon saying that, not sure if im a huge fan of a little box sitting on top of my computer.
      the computer will be going into a DIY rack, do they make rackmount USB DAC's?

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
        • Aug 2001

There are rack-mountable ones, but the units I'm familiar with are the more high-end ones (with more ins/outs), and are considerably more expensive. The one pictured above is really quite small, and if you're only using it for PC sound output (don't need access to the various inputs or their level controls) you could even stash it someplace, doesn't need to be on top.
        There might even be simpler units, or ones more suited for your use, but I'm not really familiar with them.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Is this being used in a HTPC that's connected to a HT receiver or processor? You could get a regular card that has a Toslink output on it and use that. Then you get a digital signal from the soundcard, and no electronic noise from the PC innards.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
            Is this being used in a HTPC that's connected to a HT receiver or processor? You could get a regular card that has a Toslink output on it and use that. Then you get a digital signal from the soundcard, and no electronic noise from the PC innards.
            There are "higher-end" options out there but this is cheap, easy and works well :yesnod:
            Jason

Comment

• Saggas
              • Mar 2006

currently its going to a POS system. but yes the goal is to finish this case off, then get a reciever and maybe some bass bin style setup, not really audiophile quality speakers, just something fairly clear and loud.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"