X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidY
    • Aug 2000

New Computer: To HT or not HT?

In response to Lex's request for more posts.....

Within the next month, I would like to get a new computer to replace my 3.5 year old AMD K6-166 system. Currently, I am eyeing a computer with the following:

AMD Athlon T-bird 1100 or 1200 MHz
    256MB PC133 SDRAM
    Abit KT7A-RAID or Asus A7V133 mobo
    40-45GB 7200rpm HD IBM Deskstar or Quantum AS
    32MB GeForce2 MX video card (with Video in/out?)
    56K fax/data/voice external modem
    12X/10X/32X Aopen/Acer or Ricoh CD-writer with 4MB buffer
    16X DVD drive Pioneer
    Soundblaster Live Value or MP3 with 5.1 (?)
    18 inch ATX case with 300W Power Supply
    MS Win98SE

Originally, I was planning to keep my computer and HT/music systems separate.....now I don't know. What is needed to combine the two together (besides the video in/out on the video card and 5.1 from soundcard)? Are all DVD drives all region compatible?

Any comments to my system?...I would to like to keep it under US$1300-$1400 before taxes. To save on costs, I will be using my existing 17 inch Optiquest monitor, keyboard and mouse. Thanks.

Dave

**** Moderators, please feel free to move this post to the correct forum -- just let me know where since I usually just check one or two. ****
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'd certainly suggest a dedicated HTPC. You can build one for $750 or less and it will have the abilitites of a $2000+ progressive scan stand alone DVD player. Also you don't need tons of high speed computing power. I'm using a hand-me-down HTPC from JonMarsh. Celeron 300 overclocked to 450Mhz with 128megs of RAM. This low buck setup plays everything well.

It's bets to limit the hardware and software in a HTPC to avoid any potential internal conflicts.

Using a software DVD player (like WinDVD) keeps the hardware costs down and allows for easy upgrading. Usually the DVD-ROMs are region free, but the software players must be set to a region. WinDVD must be reinstalled after a set number of region changes.

Also unlike a stand alone DVD "appliance", if something dies like the DVD-ROM for instance, it's just a quick trip to the computer store for a fix, as opposed to hauling the player into the local repair shop and waiting for weeks for it to be fixed

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Under $750 eh...

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Under $750 eh...
        Sure, probably more like $500 with smart shopping. The firesale pricing on AMD 750-800Mhz processors and RAM make this pretty much a no brainer.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Up till now I always thought that an HTPC was out of my financial grasp. This does shed a whole new light on things. Uhmmmm, looks as though I am going to do some research Thanks for the info Thomas!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• gil
            • Dec 2000

I'm not an expert by any means on this but David's TV has S-video input only. So I gather there is little benefit to gaining progressive capability for him right now.

Assuming you had something like a Celeron 400MHz PC with 64Meg SRAM and a few Gbytes hard disk available. What hardware would be required to upgrade this to an HTPC.

What are all of the features I am gaining with an HTPC? And is this something the wife and kids are going to be able to run easily.

Comment

• DavidY
              • Aug 2000

Gil is right....progressive capability does me no good. I do have component video and S-video on my TV. Since I have my DVD player connected to my TV via component video, I would like to connect via S-video (through video card).

Pros and cons of hardware decoder vs. software decoding? Hollywood Plus? Others?

I think that most of my movie watching will be through my HT system with the HT computer providing access to DVD-ROM. My screen will be primarily the JVC TV, not the computer monitor (17 inches is too small and computer chair is uncomfortable for movie watching). To summarize, I will be using the new HT computer to supplement my existing HT system. In addition, I will be using the HT computer mostly for web surfing, some games, general home applications (taxes, spreadsheets, word processing).

Am I correct to assume that all I need on my computer is: a DVD drive, hardware or software decoder, sound card which supports 5.1 and a video card with S-video?

Dave

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'm really not an expert on HTPC's, Jon just gave me his old one already setup and running.

It did make a difference with my old NTSC FPTV and an even bigger difference when I got a Sony 400Q

The main benefit from software ecoding is that theres nothing to wearout or become outdated.

I think 450Mhz is the slowest processor speed. And 128megs of RAM is best. Only a very small harddrive is needed.

If your family can load a program they can run a HTPC. It simply boots up into Win98se. There is an icon on the desktop for WinDVD. Double click on the icon with the DVD in the DVD-ROM drive and the movie starts. Double click on the top of the frame to fill the screen and thats it.

Surf HERE for more info

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"