X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • insideout
    • May 2006

Firewall and port problems

Hi im having trouble running some programmes for example music dowload programmes like kaza, soulseek and limewire. None of them will connect and i think it has to be my firewall blocking it. I have norton internet security 2006 but even when i disable it i still cant get anything to connect and start running. My internet woprks fine although some chat rooms i use dont load either now. Im realy stuck

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP !!!

Id appreciate it so much

thanks
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Take a look at the help sites for the P2P program you are using. They will often specify a UDP/TCP port that needs to be opened in your firewall.

Let me know what you find...
    Danish

Comment

• insideout
      • May 2006

hi thanks i tried diabling all my internet security and turned off all firewalls and still no joy, can i ask it says ur programme may be blocked behind a router what is this exactly, im on a wirelss connection on bt broadband, the main computer is connected to a hub downstairs and i have a little aerial coming out of mine.

please help if u can

thanks

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

So, you're running wireless. This means you have a wireless router somewhere (probably that hub downstairs you were referring to), and routers by default do firewalling, so you'll have to go into the configuration page of the router and open the ports on that.

If you can tell what brand/model of router it is, we can provide more detailed instructions.

Is BT Broadband cable or DSL, or something else?

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

If you are using a router (wireless or not), then you have to open the ports on your router too. Most routers have a built-in firewall. What kind of wireless router/hub are you using on your main computer?
          Danish

Comment

• insideout
            • May 2006

thanks guys its a bt hub 1800 hg so no matter what i do with my security it has to be configured from the hub

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

You'll have to access the BT 1800's configuration utility. Normally, you would go to your web browser and type in its IP address, once you get to the utility, there should be a tab or menu item for port information.

I tried to find a manual or screenshot, I'll look again when I get time...
              Danish

Comment

• insideout
                • May 2006

thanks for your time i appreciate it but how would i find its ip address, the problem is my dad has a password on the settings and i mean im 21 but hes dead fussy about sharing files ie music downloads so is there a way around this without having to use the password

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Go to Start -> Run and type "cmd" this will open a command prompt. Type "ipconfig" and you will get a few lines of information.

The router's IP will be the "default gateway" often times, it is 192.168.1.1

Write down your computer's IP while you are at it...

the problem is my dad has a password on the settings
                  I'm not sure about this, how do you know the router has one? What exactly are "the settings" referring to?

Some routers come preconfigured with "admin" as the password. There might be a configuration utility that runs as an executable - take a look at the main computer.
                  Danish

Comment

• insideout
                    • May 2006

k thanks i managed to get the ip address now where shld i go from here, basicaly my dad has set a password on the hub manager which controls access etc to the web

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

I think you should first try to get your dad to set it up or give you the password.

Telling you how to bypass a security measure even for your seemingly innocent purpose tip-toes around a line I don't want to cross. :unsure:

You may find some interesting material in the manual for this problem though.
                      Danish

Comment

• insideout
                        • May 2006

ok thanks for ur help ill try get him to change it if not is there a way i can bypass it would u help on that matter im sure he will though

thanks
                        t

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"