• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Ahhh Boxing Day in Canada

Ha my new monitor is more advanced than my 6 year old square TV. :lol:

Whoa, getta a load at the size of that monitor....that thing is HUGE!

Here's the unoffical thread (after 35 pages and growing):
    Check out the specs on the Gateway FPD2185W. I was just about to get a 2005fpw, but the specs on this thing are awesome. Its also got a HDCP input, thats a first. Lets hope it doesn't have any blacklight bleeding ;-) Retail of $599 is not too bad at all, esp if some coupons come out...

Meet the new standard in high-definition LCDs. Our 21" Widescreen goes above and beyond your average display. It comes loaded with all the features you want, such as high-definition video and high pixel resolution. And just when you think you've seen it all, the 21" Widescreen shows off its smart, versatile side with the latest technology—including DCDi® by Faroudja—for an unsurpassed visual experience.

Get a Whole New Perspective

21" LCD Monitor
    Optimal Optics

With its eye-opening 21" display and high-definition resolution, our 21" Widescreen lets you see images like never before. By using DCDi® by Faroudja, the picture comes in crystal-clear and crisp—and amazingly close to real life. You'll have to see it to believe it!
    Ports on the 21" LCD Monitor
    Multimedia Showboating

When it comes to multimedia compatibility, we didn't hold back. Now you can display virtually any video content you want by accessing the five input ports. Plus, the conveniently located ports and cable management clip make it easy to manage and hook up your equipment.
    Rotating 21" LCD Monitor
    Twist and Shout

Start with the widescreen, and you can get an expanded view of landscape images and video. Ready to twist? The screen can rotate 90 degrees to give you a portrait view—perfect for reading long Web pages and for viewing photos you'd normally have to scroll to see. Turn the screen and the image automatically rotates for you in seconds with the included EZTune™ software. Now you can have the world revolve around you.
    Picture-In-Picture on the 21" LCD Monitor
    Picture-In-Picture Perfect

Don't miss a thing with the Picture-in-Picture feature. Watch TV or a DVD in a window while you're working in a computer program. The scalable window can be moved and adjusted so it's just the way you want it. And when you're ready to change your priorities, just hit the Swap button and your video and PC trade places like magic.
    Controls on the 21" LCD Monitor
    Safe and Sound

You're in control with the 21" Widescreen. Adjusting your monitor settings is as easy as the push of a button. Get the visual quality you want by accessing the buttons on your monitor or through the onscreen display menu. Enhance your viewing experience whether you're working on color-intense graphics, scanning black-and-white spreadsheets or even enjoying the latest blockbuster movie. And with the locking feature, you can make sure your display won't go anywhere without you.
    Once you experience the 21" Widescreen, there's no going back!
    Start with the widescreen—perfect for viewing landscape images and video. Or, rotate the display to get a portrait view. With EZTune™ Software, the image automatically rotates for you. Your 21" Widescreen becomes a 21" "longscreen," ideal for reading long Web pages or viewing photos.
    Model Number FPD2185W
    Panel Size 21" diagonal
    Panel Type 21" viewable TFT active matrix S-PVA Anti-glare coating
    Pixel Resolution 1680 x 1050 (native) (75Hz)
    Pixel Pitch 0.0106" x 0.0106" (0.270mm x 0.270mm)
    Aspect Ratio 16:10
    Brightness 300 cd/m2
    Contrast Ratio 1000:1
    Viewing Angles 178 horizontal, 178 vertical
    Response Time 8 ms (gray to gray)
    Frequency Horizontal: 31-81 KHz Vertical: 56-76 Hz
    Lamp Type/Life 50,000 hours
    Colors 16.7 million
    OSD Languages English, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese
    Connections and Inputs • Analog (VGA): 15-pin mini d-sub VGA
    • Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). Includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
    • Composite video
    • S-Video
    • Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i)
    • AC power input
    • USB 2.0 B-type (PC input)
    • USB 2.0 A-type (PC input)
    Included Cables 15-pin mini d-sub analog VGA USB A-B Power
    Power Consumption Normal operation: >75 W Off (power-save): 2 W
    Power Input 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz (built-in power supply)
    Power Management Energy Star®
    Certifications UL, cUL, FCC Class B, CE VCCI and TCO'99 where applicable
    Wall Mount Bracket VESA 4" x 3.937" (4 x 100mm)
    Weight Net weight (with stand): 18.74 lbs. (8.5 kg)
    Gross weight (with packaging): 22.05 lbs. (10 kg)
    Dimensions With base:
    15.35" H x 19.47" W x 8.2" D (39.0 x 49.4 x 20.8 cm)
    Without base:
    13.74" H x 19.47" W x 2.77" D (34.9 x 49.4 x 7.0 cm)
    VESA wall mount application:
    3.94" W x 3.94" L (100 mm x 100 mm)
    Temperature Operating: 32~122ºF (0~50ºC)
    Storage: -13~140ºF (-25~60ºC)
    Humidity Operating: 20~90% RH
    Storage: 5~90% RH
    Altitude 10,000 feet (3,048 m)
    Security Kensington lock slot

It's Gorgeous...to say the least! DVD's look REALLY nice on this. Not that I game much....but NFS Hotpursuit 2 looked pretty sweet as well! Was thinking about the DELL but I zero buyer's remorse (don't notice backlight bleed and no dead or stuck pixels (touch wood) :T

And I'm Windows Vista Ready to boot.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Kyle
    • Jan 2005

I saw this when it came out and I was impressed, glad to see someone gets to enjoy it
    My gear

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

That looks awful nice :T congrats!
      Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Funny, I saw this as part of a Gateway system at Costco and thought to myself, who could I get to buy the computer so I could buy the monitor off them?

I finally saw this up close at Futureshop yesterday. It wasn't plugged in, but I have to say it is an excellent design! The stand not only tilts but also swivels. I love all the inputs!

This unit has more connections that my Dell 20". I may have to relegate my Dell to a secondary monitor sooner rather than later.

What was your price at BB Boxing day?

I just checked FS and the price is now $799, it was $699 yesterday.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

open box $599 (full warranty)

I think I did pretty good

The stand on this is solid and very functional. Auto-tilt is great and it scales real nice. I blow up the tv card on this and it does a really good job scaling to 16:10

:T

Pic-in-Pic is a nice bonus. The power LED is dimmable but you can't shut it off. At least you can make it less obvious.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

I know Dell has a 30" now to compete with Apple. I'd never thought I'd say this but for me, that would simply be too much monitor for my corner. I'm really happy with this size.

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

That's a pretty killer price. I would have snapped one up at that price. :T I picked up my 20" Dell for $499.

As for the 30" from Dell, I agree, that's just getting too big.

The Dell™ UltraSharp™ 3007WFP 30-inch Wide-screen Flat Panel LCD Monitor is a wide aspect desktop display that enriches the performance of LCD displays with a stylish design and enhanced functionality. The 3007WFP wide aspect LCD has WQXGA resolution of 2560x1600 pixels and also provides 11 ms (grey-to-grey) response time to enable crisp clear images when using the display for fast motion video. The 3007WFP is optimized for video editing, pre-press editing, 3D modeling, CAD, visualization, digital photography and gamers. With 4 USB 2.0 ports, 2 located on the side, the 3007WFP gives users convenient access points to plug in devices such as keyboards, digital cameras, secondary hard drives and printers. An integrated 9-in-2 multimedia card reader allows easy access to download photos or files. With 3.54 inches (90 mm) of height adjustment virtually every user can adjust the display to their exact comfort level and help reduce eye and neck strain. This Flat Panel LCD Monitor comes with a 3-Year Advance Exchange Service.

The Dell™ 3007WFP requires a DVI-D dual-link graphic card that supports WQXGA (2560x1600) resolution.
              What I find interesting is the pricing.

$1,999 in Canada

$2,199 in the US.

So when you factor in exchange the Canadian pricing seems like a great deal.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Feb 2002

So when you factor in exchange the Canadian pricing seems like a great deal.
                Indeed 8)....that's one crazy resolution :drool: (I'd need a graphics card upgrade to go along with the monitor though )

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

You will need DeLL's new XPS 600 Renegade with Quad SLI to power up that Monitor..:E

Gord!!!
                  Good to see you again! :later:
                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Feb 2002

Hi Trev

Here's a great place for all you widescreen folk looking for wallpaper:

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"