X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Longhorn has a new offical name...

So Microsoft has annouced that the next version of Windows will offically be called Vista. I saw someone figure that it was an acronym for

Viruses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

ha, goodwin
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Actually there's a bunch of companies trying to get the name changed already since they have software under the vista name.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Whatever it called it's PVP-OPM isn't going to play nice with monitors lacking HDCP.

So XP is probably my last OS from Micro$oft....... :evil:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

So, put in English Thomas, what's all that about? Loose the acronyms, give me english.

I would guess Vista is nothing new as a name. But if MS wants it, MS will have it. :roll:
          Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

According to Google its Protected Media Path — Output Protection Management

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

This will clear things up and should p*ss everyone off.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

ok, I get it, I think. But what premium content. Is it not true that they can't really mess with existing setups much?

I mean, I run W2K, software is loaded, I use IE6 to surf, what changes for me? I don't watch movies on my computer, I don't do HTPC. What changes for me? Yeah, if I want to go Longhorn, I got trouble. I'll likely have to upgrade display cards, and monitors for DVI, yeah?

It would appear they know where they are going to sink that longhorn at. Right up our a$$es.

Lex
                Doug

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Nothing will change if you don't 'upgrade' to Longhorn. But how many years do you stay with older OS's?

It's primarily designed for Hi-Rez content. So if sometime in the future you want to watch any H-Rez content on any PC you must have a HDCP monitor or it's a no go.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as far as copy protection nonsense is concerned. My stance is start complaining now, the process can't be stopped but we can probably slow it down.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Paul H
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    But how many years do you stay with older OS's?

Older OS's require less memory, run faster, and don't care about many of the latest viruses, cause the latest viruses are written to attack the latest OS's.

Given the video issues on top of that above, I will be staying away from longhorn for a very long time.

Paul

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                      Whatever it called it's PVP-OPM isn't going to play nice with monitors lacking HDCP.

So XP is probably my last OS from Micro$oft....... :evil:
                      Hehehehe, Even with the XP's drivers wont work with HDCP, I'm sure there will be a generous hack somewhere which will ultimately expose the flaws of MS and will be available to us non-conforming Windows user. :B

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"