• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Xbox 360 HD-DVD on Vista

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you all know that I purchaced the Xbox HD-DVD player over the weekend. Nothing special in that. However, last week I installed Vista Ultimate (deleting my XP MCE experiment). Anyhow, you'll be all please to note that the Xbox HD-DVD plugs and plays via USB right into Vista and works. Now, I should clarify that I don't have any HD-DVD disks yet (it works with regular DVDs) and that HD-DVD playback software is required (Cyberlink's Power HD-DVD is now available, or will be very soon), however given that 'PC' marketed HD-DVD drives for the PC cost lots more, If you are running Vista, the Xbox HD-DVD is a very cheap option!

V.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cool, man. I could have sworn, though, that Cyberlink's latest product handles both BD and HD-DVD!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
      Cool, man. I could have sworn, though, that Cyberlink's latest product handles both BD and HD-DVD!
      You're right but it's only their PowerDVD Ultra version that does. $99 online.
      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Now if only the rest of our computer worked with Vista :lol: j/k Cool find...
        Danish

Comment

• comeup
          • Jul 2005

Does your monitor have to be HDCP compatible to pickup HD content?
          Blake

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yes it does. Or if its not you can use this program called Cysoft AnyDVD HD which removes the HDCP protection. My LCD is HDCP but apparently my video card is not. So I'll be upgrading my video card for my HTPC before too long. I bought this drive the other day and works great! I will be doing a little write up with pictures on modifying it to put it inside a computer case before too long. Probably post it here. After that I plan on getting the new pioneer bd-rom.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

BTW, I'm running vista without any problems once so ever. Been running it for a month now and runs perfectly. There is one slight thing the etched glass windows is not working now... I haven't looked into it much though so I'm sure I could fix this. Another thing that sucks (but is also true with xpmce) the media center front end does not support HD-DVD play back yet. I'm hoping microsoft releases an update soon that will fix this since HD-DVD Roms and BD-Roms are becoming readily available soon.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I know Vista SP1 should be released here pretty soon and I believe there is something for the etched glass windows in there. No positive though.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Thats the ONLY problem I've had. I'm surprised so many people complained honestly. Although all my hardware is new..and most is vista certified.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Yeah, see I have a SCSI Card that they haven't made drivers for yet... that's been my biggest issue, I want to still be able to use my tape backup.

Actually they just did, now I need to see if Quantum made drivers for Vista. :T

Which of course they don't. I guess I'll be using a dual boot system...though I don't care for that.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Eh...I went back to Ubuntu and keep vista for watching HD-DVD's for the time being. A new tv is in my near future and when I buy that I'll likely pickup stand alone players.

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Yeah, I watch most of my HD movies on the 360, but I did plug the player in and was easily able to pull the movies down on the HD for storage. Sort of neat. Have to see what else I can "uncover" with the HD files on my HD to use as a media server for it.
                        -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Well there is a program you can use to backup your HD-DVD's but at 30 gigs a piece I hope you have a couple TB's of storage And unfortunately windows media center does not play HD or BD yet.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"