X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siberian
    • Dec 2004

iTunes control

Anyone figured out how to decently control iTunes (lots of itms music here)? I'm looking for the ability to search for songs etc, not just play/stop/forward/back (I can do that on my Pronto today).

I was looking at grabbing an airpanel and writing some code but those are pricey. Do some of the new prontos support two-way communications?

Desperate for some iTunes control on my AV network!

John-
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Click on "Library" in the top left corner of your screen, which will display every song you've got installed in iTunes. Go to the top right hand corner of your screen where you'll find a little picture of a magnifying glass. That's your search engine. Enter the name of the song, or the artist, or even part of a name in that field. All the songs that match your search criteria will be displayed. Click on the little x on the other side of the magnifying glass and it will clear your search field so that you can enter another name to search for.

I have 3500 songs stored in iTunes. I use iTunes to research music, to increase my knowledge of music, to audition music and to keep a record of music that my friends have created. It can do a lot more than what I've described above.

I work in the software development industry so software design and functionality is important to me. I think that iTunes is an excellent product and way ahead of its main rival (Microsoft's Windows Media Player) which is poorly designed in comparison.

Comment

• siberian
      • Dec 2004

Sure, I love iTunes and am a software developer as well. But itunes sucks in an NTSC environment. When I am in my living room and my itunes is in the garage on the media PC I want to be able to easily control it. I have about 6500 songs in my iTunes library (and growing) and really want to access these in a mobile fashion without carrying a laptop around.

I know iTunes, been using it since the launch day (I ordered my iPod the day it was released). What I am looking for is a nice way to remotely control my iTunes library without having to pipe my windows screen to an NTSC TV. I can write all of the inbetween code to access the library remotely and do control, its just a matter of devices etc.

I was hoping a new pronto could do two-way communication over HTTP. Then I could easily interact with itunes over XML and provide the same browsing and control capabilities as the itunes app but in a smaller form-factor that also controls my other home automation and distributed A/V systems.

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

So, something like sonus that is iTunes compatible.

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Comment

• siberian
          • Dec 2004

If only that control would just control iTunes, you have to use their hardware to distribute the music. I run everything to my garage and back out to my rooms from there so I just need a way to control iTunes, not distribute the music

It also has its own amp which is a bummer and it goes over wifi which is a drag as well.

Awesome system if you don't already have a distributed AV system though, love that little touchpanel. Thats why I am looking at the ViewSonic Air Panels and some custom software to do it.. If I have to..

Originally posted by junior77blue
          So, something like sonus that is iTunes compatible.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sonos_Digita...9.html?tag=tab

Comment

• junior77blue
            • Nov 2004

Umm...i'm pretty sure u can get just the touch panel. But that still doesn't solve your problem.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"