X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

XBox360 HTPC in sheeps clothes

Well it was revealed last night. I pvr'd the special but haven't watched yet...12:30 pm was too late for me on a school night :P

Audioholics has a good synopsis of the XBox360 and I list it in the Tower of Power becasue this thing is really a hybrid gaming / HTPC....

here's an excerpt:

"Wednesday, May 12, 2005 marked the day the details of the Xbox 360 were announced in a carefully promoted MTV 1/2 hour special hosted by Elijah Wood - possibly the world's most popular hobbit-gamer. While the 2005 release date for the Xbox 360 is set for around Christmas, everyone can whe their lips and gaze upon the specifications for the new game console.

Aside from the next generation HD-enabled game console, Microsoft is positioning the Xbox 360 to be a progressive scan DVD player, FM/Internet radio, HTPC with music/DVR/photo support, videoconference/chat system, and file sharing tool. This appears to be everything that Microsoft has been shooting for in terms of getting the PC into the living room...."

To continue the saga...go here:
    Wednesday, May 12, 2005 marked the day the details of the Xbox 360 were announced in a carefully promoted MTV 1/2 hour special hosted by Elijah Wood - possibly the world's most popular hobbit-gamer.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

In fact....you might say that this is in direct competition with Media Center based PC's considering the PC abilities they've packed in this little box.

3 PowerPC cores running at 3.2 Mhz each :T , wireless a,b,g. Supports most media types, Detachable 20 GB HD, Memory

* 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM
    * 700 MHz of DDR
    * Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth

* 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
    * 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
    * 21.6 GB/s front-side bus

3 USB 2.0 ports

This is Microsoft's way of getting the PC into the livingroom. Gates is going to make good on his lofty goal....it seems

Comment

• Neal_C
      • Feb 2003

I watched the special, but all it did was wet the appetite for more info.

Regardless of the lack of info the special provided, I am already committed to pre-ordering one to have it on launch day.

Comment

• i_amadeo
        • May 2005

w.o.w that i believe bakes any hardcore gaming pc ....eats it up..chews it and spits it out ....3 power pc cores 3.2mhz what about termal issues ?
        come into the light

Comment

• Bent
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2003

$? $?

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

w.o.w that i believe bakes any hardcore gaming pc
            Well for today and until the CELL Processor debut on the PS3.

Thermal issues are obviously not a concern I gather, don't forget the PowerPC is more efficient than any x86 design and allows for a much smaller form factor.

If you want a more detailled answer...try this:

$? $?

Guestimates on price range from $299 - 399 US. I'd wager $299 US because Microsoft wants an XBox360 under every X-mas tree this year. They know the PS3 with a CELL processor and BlueRay drive is coming. (Never count out Sony).

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
              • Feb 2002

$299US for the technology in this sucker is a huge bargain.

I PVR'd and watched the 10:30 Atlantic feed, and it was alright, but definitely whets my appetite for more at E3.

Comment

• Neal_C
                • Feb 2003

We all know Microsoft has no problem taking a loss on the console, as was evident by the $100/unit loss they absorbed/are still taking on the original Xbox.

With that in mind, I would guess $299 would be a likely price.

As far as keeping it cool, Microsoft went with a liquid cooling solution.

I don't think the Cell processor will be that much better and we don't even know yet if Blu-Ray will even exist in its current form. We may still see a hybrid disc, or HD-DVD and Blu-Ray may have a format war, or both those technologies could get passed over for HVD (Holographic Versatile Disc).

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

Well, MS took a hit cause it had to capture market share and since PS2 already had an established following. They won't want to do this again. That won't make business sense...

I'm thinking initially $400 price tag...until sony is able to compete.

Comment

• Foxman
                    • Jan 2003

So with this new beast does anyone expect the current X box to go down to $100.00?

Just thinking ahead to Christmas.
                    IMO

My Movies
                    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Neal_C
                      • Feb 2003

I think they still need/want to capture market share. Sure, they are a major player now, but I think their goal is to be the leader, to de-throne Sony from its perch.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Good question, Foxman. I wouldn't be surprised.

As to whether the XBox 360 really would be bringing a "HTPC" into your livingroom... ehhhhhh..... I don't know. It's a phenomenal gaming SYSTEM, for sure. Is it really a HTPC? To me, an HTPC has other functions that the XBox does not. A basic example would be the ability to play non-XBox PC games designed for windows, of which there are SO many more in quantity than XBox.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Well, primarily we think of an HTPC for movies. So, in that since, it is a HTPC. Then again, it's not a full computer...
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I want one and will get one!
                            End of story! :B

Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Neal_C
                              • Feb 2003

I am with you Trevor. I will have one on launch day, no doubt about it.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"