X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdwitmer
    • Sep 2004

Need advice on mobile hi-fi server !

Hi everyone! This is my first post to this section of the forum, so please be gentle.

I would like to build a mobile (as in "luggable") hi-fi music server that I can run off batteries if the need arises. The need might arise because I would be using a LynxTwo sound card which in the past has given me HUM problems arising from ground loops, and I figure that if worst comes to worst I can eliminate ground loop problems (or at least greatly simplify them) by running off batteries . . .

(When the hi-fi server is kept in one place all the time, eliminating ground loops is not such a big deal. But I never know what sort of grounding situation to expect whenever I go to a new place.)

I suppose that if there was a ready-to-go mobile PC with a PCI expansion slot (along the lines of the Compaqs of an earlier era), that might do the trick, but in any case it is clear that minimizing power consumption becomes an issue when running off batteries, right? I don't mind carrying extra batteries but I would like to be able to play music for a few hours (I'm hoping for three or more hours) between battery swaps if possible.

A certain minimum amount of processor power is going to be necessary. I get the impression that the Via C3/Eden family of processors might be satisfactory (although perhaps cutting it close in terms of processor power: there might be times when I would want to have the CPU performing digital crossover and digital room correction operations, as my LynxTwo card has six analog outputs, so I could use it for 5.1 surround or as a three-way crossover in a stereo system). There is also the possibility of using various Pentium or AMD mobile processors, or perhaps an underclocked Athlon64 chip. I would REALLY appreciate advice in this area: what would give me adequate processing power while maximizing battery life?

By the way, although this is the HTPC board, if I can use this system for HTPC apps, that would be icing on the cake, but if it only does music well, that would be still satisfy me . . . only my music needs to be mobile.

As for media to hold music, if it would reduce battery drain, I could happily go with a multigigabyte RAM drive or Flash media, and would appreciate suggestions on this as well.

I could use an external CD/DVD drive to run pre-recorded discs, and that might be one way to lighten the burden on the computer's power supply, although I don't know if that has the potential to put me back in trouble with humming ground loops . . . and ditto for the PC's display.

Let me stress again that my main reason for wanting to go this route is the desire to be rid of ground loops forever, regardless of where I might set up this PC for use. I would like to be able to turn it on and quickly begin to play music flawlessly 100% of the time and not have to worry about ground loops ever again. But I don't want to give up the LynxTwo card. (It sounds BETTER than great!) So if anyone has a totally different approach to a foolproof ground loop solution that has not occurred to me, I'm all ears!

MANY THANKS

Christopher Witmer
    Tokyo
  • taz13
    • Jun 2004

Before lugging around batteries, try a cheater cord. That is a cheap 3 prong short extension cord with the ground cut off. If no hum you have just elimanted the need for batteries.
    The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
    Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"