X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Ripping DVD music

I'm looking to take the audio portion of a DVD and convert that into an MP3 or some other form of compressed audio, i.e. AAC. Does anyone know how to do this or a website that can walk me though the steps. Not sure if this is illegal or if I need special software/hardware. But I have a music DVD and would like to listen to the audio tracks of some live music.

Thx, sam
  • JOY DIVISION
    • Aug 2004

Well if you rip the movie and see your folder it has Audio and Video, take the Audio from the file and drag to Nero or Roxio and turn into MP3 or other forms like wav,aac just depending on your settings, I think I've done this awhile back when I did a back-up for my DVD. Try these DVDDecrypter and DVD Shrink, it might help.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'm looking at this as well. I've been trying to figure out how to convert the Dolby Digital track on my non Dual-Disc DVD-A's to wav so that I can burn it on to CD for listening in my car or other non-DVD capable players.

I ran across this program:http://www.dvdtox.com/dvdaudioripper.htm but keep getting this error message:

Now that could be as I don't have the "registered" version but I don't want to pay to register something that so far hasn't worked....

Joy Division, perhaps you could go in to greater detail on what you mean by dragging the audio in to Nero and converting it? I have DVD Shrink and Nero 6. Do you mean to drag the entire audio folder or just an audio file? DVD Shrink does not create an audio folder, Nero on the otherhand does create an Audio TS and Video TS folder but I don't believe any actual data goes in to the audio folder. I was not aware Nero had the capability to convert to wav, aac etc...?

I may end up, down the line, simply purchasing a standalone CD-burner with analog inputs to simply record the high resolution 2-channel tracks (albiet at the CD's lower, native resolution) from my DVD-A discs. I just wish there was an easier way with the equipment I have now....

Jason
      Attached Files
      Jason

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Well I just found this program: http://www.handyarchive.com/Audio/Ri...io-Ripper.html which seems to work much better than the first program but "does not support audio-only titles" ie: DVD-A discs. Which, of course, is exactly what I'm trying to do!! :evil:

It should work fine for concert DVD's though.... :roll:
        Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

You won't be able to rip DVD-A tracks, as they are an encrypted, high-resolution format, but the tool you found above should be able to pull the Dolby Digital or standard PCM tracks from the VIDEO_TS folder of a DVD-A. DVD-As have these alternate tracks so they can be played on non-DVD-A compatible players. For making MP3s these tracks should be fine.

Download the free/trial version and try it.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I know you can't rip the high-res DVD-A tracks, if you read my previous post I'm after the Dolby Digital track I was hoping to copy the Dolby Digital track off of the DVD-A's but the second program will not allow you to copy the DD track from an audio only DVD, regular DVD-video format or DVD-A format. If there's not actual, visual film content, it won't let you copy the audio.

I did download the trial version which worked extremely well on a DVD-video, though the trial version allows you to converts only 5 minutes of audio...

If anyone has some other software suggestions it would be much appreciated
            Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Did you try it with a DVD-A disc? The video "side" of the disc is just DVD video with only audio. The software should work the same regardless. Unless it's some sort of copy protection feature only DVD-A discs have.

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                • Aug 2004

if all fails there's a software called DVD lab pro it cost somewhere around $199.00 and should rip much of the audio from a dvd, just check the links on their site and it should give you a guide.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Feb 2002

You could always pump the analog signal back into the soundcard and do it that way using a wave editing program.That works better than you think....if nothing else works.

and

Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
                    Did you try it with a DVD-A disc? The video "side" of the disc is just DVD video with only audio. The software should work the same regardless. Unless it's some sort of copy protection feature only DVD-A discs have.
                    Yup, tried it. It gave me the error message that it "does not support audio-only titles"

Thanks Joy Division but $199.00!!! :E :lol:

Thanks Gord, I may give the audio loop thing a try down the line and thanks for the links :T

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Gordon Moore
                      You could always pump the analog signal back into the soundcard and do it that way using a wave editing program.That works better than you think....if nothing else works.

and

http://www.glump.net/content/audio_dvd_rip/guide.htm
                      The first link was to create avi's/mpeg's etc from DVD's and the second only works with AC3 files which pretty much don't exist on DVD's anymore... Thanks for trying though Gord

I have got an email in to the ImToo DVDAudio Ripper folks to see if they may be enabling copying of non-DVD video sources DD tracks in the future. That program will still work fine for anyone wanting a CD copy of their favourite concert videos though. So that may be helpful to you Sam as that sounds like what you were after
                      Jason

Comment

• junior77blue
                        • Nov 2004

Aud19, is that a freeware program? ImToo DVDAudio Ripper? I'll have to give it a try once I get home.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Well I've actually done it! It's not the easiest thing in the world but I've done it! :B

I used software called BeSweet which can be found here: http://dspguru.notrace.dk/ (I downloaded the latest version under the "stable" heading) You need both the program and the GUI as well as I needed to download the "VOBInput.dll v1.3" file. Now for whatever reason, the program didn't work the first few times, (just gave me error messages) but when I tried through the "Wizard" and then back through the normal GUI it finally worked...though I'm not exactly sure why... :lol:

Unfortunately unlike DVD Audio Ripper it does not break the files in to seperate tracks based on chapter locations It also doesn't seem to downsample to 44.1 (even though it say's it does :evil: ) So I'm using Nero to perform both those tasks, albiet pretty slowly... :roll: But it works!!! :B

Just a note, you may be able to do it directly off the disc but I first used DVD Shrink to rip just the track I needed as well as just selecting the 2-channel DD track. Please note not all DVD-A's will have both a DD5.1 and DD2.0 track.

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                            • Aug 2004

Jason, there have been an issue with Nero about ripping 24bit instead it downsize it to 16bit, but DVDlab Pro just takes care of that mostly with their ripper, too bad there's no trial period for their software but you may try www.directconnect.com to see if anyone would share the program. Good Luck

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Feb 2002

The first link was to create avi's/mpeg's etc from DVD's and the second only works with AC3 files which pretty much don't exist on DVD's anymore... Thanks for trying though Gord
                              Whoops :E that's what rushing and not really reading gets you
                              Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                • Nov 2004

I tried the Imtoo Ripper, seems to work. Too bad its only a demo version. Anyone know of a freeware version? I don't have a high demand for this so i'm not willing to spend the $30, and I'm sure there are freeware versions out there.

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                  I tried the Imtoo Ripper, seems to work. Too bad its only a demo version. Anyone know of a freeware version? I don't have a high demand for this so i'm not willing to spend the $30, and I'm sure there are freeware versions out there.
                                  Try the BeSweet software I mentioned a couple posts ago. It's not nearly as user friendly but works on both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio and hey it's free :B Can't really expect complete user-friendliness for free :lol:

My next mission is to find something better than Nero's Wave editor for reducing to 16/44.1 and splitting in to tracks. Actually it reduces fine, albiet a little slowly. It also takes the large wav file, and finds the track seperation wonderfully. However when you go to save the tracks as seperate, individual wav files, it creates one or two and then the third file is another large file. You have to then re-open the third file, re-detect track seperation, it saves one or two again plus another big file!! :evil: Re-open again, detect tracks, save again etc until you've finally got through all the tracks 2 or 3 at a time!! :evil: Even after all that, the seperate wav files it creates have the appropriate audio for the single track but the file still shows the original large file's length, so there's like an hour of blank audio after the music. Now you have to open each file individually and delete the blank portion of the audio and re-save again! EESH!!

I mean it's pretty cool I managed to get it to work (listening to the CD at work, as we speak :B ) but what a PIA!!!

Jason
                                  Jason

Comment

• junior77blue
                                    • Nov 2004

aud19, any luck finding software to split tracks? I'm gonna try using my mac that has roxio toast & jam on it. Hoping that software is good for something.

I thought I saw beSweet have something that did splitting as well, have you had any experience with it?

Comment

• junior77blue
                                      • Nov 2004

well, jam is worthless...

I tried beSweet cutter or splitter....it seemed to work, but it didn't properly split the tracks where 'thought' i had put a split. Very strange...

I need to play around with it more, must be doing something obvious wrong.

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

No I haven't found anything better than the above tedious Nero Wave Editor (for free anyways...) :roll:
                                        Jason

Comment

• junior77blue
                                          • Nov 2004

Hmm...i just might have to put out the $30 for that one software package and save me the grief of trying to manually do this.

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"